Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

2 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Are you suggesting Chelsea were in a similar position to Newcastle when Makélélé, Crespo and Duff signed for us? 🙄

Budget wise, nowhere close to where Newcastle are now.  They have a ton more money a great deal more urgency and a much bigger step up in quality is required.
They'll be spending much much much bigger.  

But yes top players will go there for the project not the current Newcastle team (who will all go soon).  And top agents can be very persuasive.

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

You are still proposing that a player would walk away from a team that (all being well) has the possibility of winning the CL and or PL, to go to a relegation threatened team in January. 

A top agent will be selling him the Newcastle team of next year, not this year.  He'll be telling him of Haaland and a dozen other names.

I do think RA is a bigger potential block to this than Rudiger's personal ambitions.

Rudiger's agent holds a lot of cards here.

paulw66   
Just now, Droy was my hero said:

Budget wise, nowhere close to where Newcastle are now.  They have a ton more money a great deal more urgency and a much bigger step up in quality is required.
They'll be spending much much much bigger.  

But yes top players will go there for the project not the current Newcastle team (who will all go soon).  And top agents can be very persuasive.

A top agent will be selling him the Newcastle team of next year, not this year.  He'll be telling him of Haaland and a dozen other names.

I do think RA is a bigger potential block to this than Rudiger's personal ambitions.

Rudiger's agent holds a lot of cards here.

Crespo, Duff and Maka were not joining a team that is second bottom and not in Europe. They were joining a team with a load of cash, and had qualified for the CL, and had a squad already far superior to the Newcastle one. There is no comparison. The footballing side of the argument has no comparison at all. 

RA can do nothing blocking Rudiger going on 1 July either.

40 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Crespo, Duff and Maka were not joining a team that is second bottom and not in Europe. They were joining a team with a load of cash, and had qualified for the CL, and had a squad already far superior to the Newcastle one. There is no comparison. The footballing side of the argument has no comparison at all. 

I think you are describing both reasons why Rudiger might not want to take a risk but also reasons why Newcastle should want to pay up hugely for the best defender in Europe.

Chelsea were the first team to buy success in a hurry.  The path is a lot clearer now, and it will be a lot easier to present that to Rudiger (and other incoming players).
There is no FFP right now.  PSG and City (not under Thaksin) have shown how.  And how do Abu Dhami, UAE and Saudi Arabia compare?

49 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

RA can do nothing blocking Rudiger going on 1 July either.

Sure, but Newcastle can offer RA a lot of cash to let him go earlier.   Once we get to July that attraction of Rudiger to Newcastle is no more than any other top defender for whom they would pay a fee but much lower wages.

Chrisb   

Money talks and some players definitely listen but others don’t. I don’t know enough about Rudiger to say one way or the other whether he’d have his head turned by the prospect of a big pay day with absolutely no chance of honours or to stay where he is with a high chance of winning things. I guess we’ll find out should an offer be made in January. There’s no doubt that Newcastle need to bring decent players in in January to try to prevent relegation but the January window is notoriously bad for achieving this.

We can't really afford to lose Rüdiger in 2022. It's likely that Thiago Silva will leave at the end of the season, with Azpi hopefully having one more year in him. We need another experienced defender to see us through this period,  and we'd have to pay a bomb for anyone close to the quality of the players we'll be losing.

asvaberg   
17 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

We can't really afford to lose Rüdiger in 2022. It's likely that Thiago Silva will leave at the end of the season, with Azpi hopefully having one more year in him. We need another experienced defender to see us through this period,  and we'd have to pay a bomb for anyone close to the quality of the players we'll be losing.

Christensen, the Dane Viking, says hello :)

11 hours ago, chiswickblue said:

I was wondering about this the other day. The way he is playing and looking, he'd have to absolutely plummet in form and fitness in the next 8 months to not still be an incredible player more than capable of playing at our level. He really doesn't look anything like on the way out. I could really see him staying here for a third season, and particularly if other CBs leave.

15 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

I was wondering about this the other day. The way he is playing and looking, he'd have to absolutely plummet in form and fitness in the next 8 months to not still be an incredible player more than capable of playing at our level. He really doesn't look anything like on the way out. I could really see him staying here for a third season, and particularly if other CBs leave.

I agree.  But he only started 33 games for us last season.  I doubt it will be over 30 next year.  Pushed to play more is risking a lot less.  He is half a back line leader but with our ambition we need 2.  Azpi, Silva but no Rudiger is cutting it fine IMO.  Christensen looks find as CB3, but not as CB1.  Chalobah looks like CB5 (which is fine at his age but doesn't address the issue).  

3 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Christensen looks find as CB3, but not as CB1.  

Can't agree. Christensen imo has been mostly outstanding wherever he's been played in the defence. Sure, he's had the odd poor one, but I think you're being harsh on him.

Hopefully Rudiger stays, but if he doesn't then the world isn't short of quality CB's.

• Like 2