Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Flinkers   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I was not talking about it from a purely financial standpoint.

A manager who has designs on winning trophies wont want to go there now 

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

So what do you see as Pay day for a decent manager?  Erediviseie trophies for Ajaz or PSV, Copa del Rey for Valencia, Community shield equivalents as an incoming manager at Alkmaar and Benfica?
Or a 3 year contract at Barca paid after 14 months?

Because I'm sure Mrs Koeman sees it like that.  (Mrs Rudiger is thinking along the same lines I guess).

I would have though someone like Erik ten Hag would be right up there street and financially attainable. But they're obviously hoping that Xavi is Pep 2.0 for them.

paulw66   
2 minutes ago, Flinkers said:

I would have though someone like Erik ten Hag would be right up there street and financially attainable. But they're obviously hoping that Xavi is Pep 2.0 for them.

Pep, genius that he is, had a little help from Puyol, Pique, Mascherano, Alves, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Henry, Villa, Messi, Pedro, Sanchez........ point those players in the right direction and you have half a chance. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I was not talking about it from a purely financial standpoint.

A manager who has designs on winning trophies wont want to go there now 

Well of course.
But outside the top 3 in UK, PSG, AM, BM and a lottery of clubs in italy, where does a top manager go?
There aren't many trophy winning clubs, let alone jobs available.

This is a list of the last 30 years or so of Barca managers.
image.png.63a555e5ef86d3bb63fdd64a696a8b08.png
It is curious to note how they have gone from some pretty big names up to 2000 to short term temps and near unknowns.  Even Rijkaard only had experience with Netherlands NT when he got fast tracked in.  Guardiola was at least known in house and is largely the exception.  Post pep, even now the only ones whose names I recognise are Enrique and Koeman.  Enrique for what he subsequently did at Barca and Koeman for what he did as a player and at Southampton (and not much at Everton).

27 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Pep, genius that he is, had a little help from Puyol, Pique, Mascherano, Alves, Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi, Henry, Villa, Messi, Pedro, Sanchez........ point those players in the right direction and you have half a chance. 

Indeed.  They need more of a manager than that now.  (you forgot Guddy - shame on you)

31 minutes ago, Flinkers said:

True.  But Xavi is Lampard or Pirlo.  He does not have the experience that Pep, Zidane or even Solskjaer had when given big jobs.

Edited by Droy was my hero

4 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

True.  But Xavi is Lampard or Pirlo.  He does not have the experience that Pep, Zidane or even Solskjaer had when given big jobs.

Xavi is more experienced now than Guardiola was when he got the Barca job .

The difference is the players not the coach in this instance.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Xavi is more experienced now than Guardiola was when he got the Barca job .

The difference is the players not the coach in this instance.

Al Sadd (Qatar club) for 2 years?  Compared to Barcelona B.  In football terms I think Al Sadd was about as dead end of a job that you can get.  He is still doing that job.
In terms of Barca knowing what they were getting, Pep's experience was far more relevant.  Ditto in terms of Pep knowing what would be needed.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Al Sadd (Qatar club) for 2 years?  Compared to Barcelona B.  In football terms I think Al Sadd was about as dead end of a job that you can get.  He is still doing that job.
In terms of Barca knowing what they were getting, Pep's experience was far more relevant.  Ditto in terms of Pep knowing what would be needed.

I'm just quoting what Pep said about him today . 

I'm sure he's a better judge of the situation .

56 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I'm just quoting what Pep said about him today . 

I'm sure he's a better judge of the situation .

Football managers and press conference eh.  Assuming they wouldn't lie makes the world so complicated.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Football managers and press conference eh.  Assuming they wouldn't lie makes the world so complicated.

I knew you'd know better than Pep.

Don't ever change.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I knew you'd know better than Pep.

Don't ever change.

I know better than believing what managers say at football conferences about their mates.
And I know that most people who quote them literally are on a pure windup.

SabCFC   

Especially Pep.

He's famous for his false modesty in press conferences, and he praised every manager he thrashed 5-0 (to the point it's a worn out meme now). He praises every coach on the planet. Talking about Xavi, he mentioned him and Koeman and the La Masia random interim manager ... so yeah. He just doesn't know whether Xavi will or will not be a good manager. No one knows. In theory, it's all good. Pirlo's thesis in the famous Italian school of managers was said to be brilliant tactically. Theory is one thing, the training ground is another. It's a lot of risk for Barcelona, but they're out of ideas and money. 

The positive for them is that without Messi, expectations are lower, and you can mould the squad into a coach's ideas - young, high potential players with Fati, Gavi and Pedri (all Spanish internationals), and some very good players in their prime or near it (De Jong, Dest, Depay, Ter Stegen). You can build around that with very good coaching and by using the old guys more sparingly (Pique, Alba, Busquets).

Interestingly, Xavi doesn't seem to be Laporta's first choice, he isn't convinced by him as much as he was by Pep or Rijkaard at that time. Too may unknowns, and whether he'll be bold enough to phase out some of his old teammates. It's a big gamble, Barcelona need Top 4 desperately, even if usually La Liga, it's easy to get CL football if you're one of the 3 top clubs (15 points difference between 4th and 5th place). This season, every top team looks bad and all of the Sevilla, Betis, Villarreal, Sociedad have caught up.

Xavi could be a genius like Pep, he does talk like him, but theory and application are two different things. I'm glad they didn't get Ajax's Ten Hag.

Edited by SabCFC