Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Good luck Dave if you go home to Spain. Been brilliant here for so many years and part of so many good things we have achieved.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Does this explain why Azpi hasn't started much recently? 

I think it's more likely the other way around... he's not starting as much, knows he's unlikely to when both James and Chalobah are fit, and has the chance of ending his career in his native Spain at one of the biggest clubs in the world (albeit currently in a bit of a decline). Any contract we offer will be for less than his current contract and only for a year or two. Even with their current difficulties, Barcelona can offer him more than we will be willing to offer and probably for three years. In the less onerous Spanish league he'll be more than capable of coping with that.

31 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

I think it's more likely the other way around... he's not starting as much, knows he's unlikely to when both James and Chalobah are fit, and has the chance of ending his career in his native Spain at one of the biggest clubs in the world (albeit currently in a bit of a decline). Any contract we offer will be for less than his current contract and only for a year or two. Even with their current difficulties, Barcelona can offer him more than we will be willing to offer and probably for three years. In the less onerous Spanish league he'll be more than capable of coping with that.

I don't think they can.  Any other Spanish club would only offer £50k a week less than us even for 1 year.  Both RM and Barca seem to have accepted that they must rebuild themselves over a few years and are looking for youth not short term stand-ins.
I agree that he may be being squeezed out of the team by younger players.  That could be their growth rather than his decline.  Chalobah in particular has seemed the first CB other than Azpi who looks happy stepping forward into a midfield role when the oppo have just one up front (and Rudiger seems more adventurous too now)

paulw66   
1 hour ago, didierforever said:

I think that can be explained far better with RJ's form and performances

That doesn't stop him playing RCB, where he has played most under TT

50 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Even with their current difficulties, Barcelona can offer him more than we will be willing to offer and probably for three years

Can they?

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

Has has played an awful lot of football for someone that has not long turned 32.

Think it is catching up with him.

Yeah, I think you're right. I think he is just getting to the end of his 'shelf life' for this level in this league.

Will be gutted when he leaves though.

3 hours ago, paulw66 said:

That doesn't stop him playing RCB, where he has played most under TT

Because with the emergence of TC, there are 2 actual CB options who can play the position in tc and AC. 

6 hours ago, didierforever said:

Because with the emergence of TC, there are 2 actual CB options who can play the position in tc and AC. 

And no one saw it coming either. 

Kezza   

Think Azpi needs to stay. Still has a lot to give the young players. Feel like the transition needs to be another 2 years not abrupt like this. Still a valuable player.

• Like 1

paulw66   

Apparently Wijnaldnum is available on loan in January.

I'd take him all day long and send Saul home (or anywhere he'd like to go)

7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Apparently Wijnaldnum is available on loan in January.

I'd take him all day long and send Saul home (or anywhere he'd like to go)

Would absolutely be up for that.