Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

bert19   
10 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I have a feeling that Christensen and Rudiger are both going to sign extensions in the next month or two...

Rudiger's actually playing like he wants to stick around.  I'm guessing if he stays, we find out in the next three weeks.  Otherwise he's taking bids.  The word has been that he wants to stay at Chelsea all along, bu he's been very definite about what he wants/needs.  Hopefully that means work can be done in the background on something that works for everyone.  Of all of the four out of contract, he seems the one that it's most urgent to get done to me. 

Christensen seems to have been playing silly buggers and his form has regressed since that information about messing about with demands became public.  I suspect the club got fed up and told Tuchel he could talk about it and that Christensen's people are waiting for some big offer from the likes of Barcelona.  I thought he looked like the player we saw in 2020 at Zenit the other night.  Which is a real shame given how much he improved after Tuchel's arrival.  

My only concern is that they all seem to be fine in a back three/five and distinctly dodgy in a back four.  That sort of limits our options longer term.

Kounde also still seems to be very possible, so I'm wondering if that means Azpi may be moving on? He's definitely looked a lot more leggy of late.  The heart and soul is clearly still there and I suspect we'd miss that if he does go, but maybe now is the best time for everyone to move onto something new? Either way, he's been a wonderful servant for us and anyone essentially replacing him would have big shoes to fill. 

Edited by bert19

40 minutes ago, bert19 said:

My only concern is that they all seem to be fine in a back three/five and distinctly dodgy in a back four.  That sort of limits our options longer term.

Except Rudiger was fine under Sarri.  I think it is Lampard vs TT and not 5 vs 4 that makes the difference.  We simply were completely unorganised for 18 months and now we are uber-organised.

On 20/03/2021 at 3:58 PM, King Kante said:

That would be a squad of 23, including 3 GK's. Signing wise it requires Haaland, a cheap GK2 to replace one or both of Kepa/Willy and possibly SMS, however that isn't 100% necessary. If you want slightly lower numbers then cut Giroud and possibly Ziyech. That said, I realise Haaland is almost impossible. 

On 02/06/2021 at 1:06 PM, King Kante said:

Yeah, I have been saying the same thing. People are either hitting the crack pipe too hard or just have issues with 3atb if they want to revert back to a 4 again. 

Our biggest problem at the moment is: 

1) Finishing 

2) Lack of goals from midfield 

A switch in formation isn't going to solve that as it is a personal issue as the stats show we're creating enough chances.

Furthermore, you have to go back to 2015 when we consistently played well with a back 4 and weren't running around like the keystone cops to any counter attack. Going back to that is just asking for trouble as, even when we lose in a 3atb, at least we still control most of the game, whereas in a 4 we often get hammered/have our matches resemble basketball matches. 

As for your positions I agree CM and CF are the absolute priorities. However at CM, I am not so sure we need a Rice but maybe someone more like SMS. For me, with the midfield needs to start getting more goals and I am not sure a pure DM will help with that. That said, the CM does need to be able to the dirty side of the game so we cannot go for a purely attacking CM.

Outside of those two positions, I would argue we could do with a GK2 and a RWB. For me we need a GK2 as Mendy is off to the ACoN in Dec/Jan and I do not want to have potentially six weeks of Kepa in goal. This doesn't need to be an be expensive buy, someone like Areola would be fine. 

At RWB, I am not sold on Dave playing that position nor CHO. For me, James should have someone to rotate with like Chilwell/Alosno. Hakimi is the top bracket choice, but not sure we would want to lay out so much money for a rotation option. What may be interesting is Zappa, he actually had a very strong end of the season at Genoa, so if he cannot raise a fee we may be better off having him here instead. 

On 09/05/2021 at 0:13 PM, King Kante said:

Be interesting to see what Roman does this season in regards to funds and what we can do with the squad. Personally, I think we are very close to competing for the league but do need to make a few adjustments to get more consistency in the side. For me, the key issues with the side are as follows: 

1) Goal scoring CF. This is an incredibly tough position to do anything at. Kane and Lukaku in my opinion aren't options for a variety of reasons. Håland is incredibly expensive and if you're going to spend that sort of money you want more of a track record. Kun looks like a shadow of himself, Lewa is not leaving Bayern. Personally, I think we may have to go Harvetz as false No.9 next year or take a punt on Andre Silva (who I don't really rate) as he apparently has a €30m buy out. 

2) Non- funsized CM/DM. This needs to be addressed as teams like WBA know they can out muscle us, whilst we are one of the only top European sides without one. This however will mean a decision needs to be made on Jorgi/Gilmour. Personally, I like Jorgi and have defended him in the past (although not quite to Droy levels), however I do see a situation where if a team offers £40m+ he will be sold to fund the bigger CM. If Jorgi stays, then I think Gilmour gets loaned to a PL team (Brighton would be ideal imo.) 

As for who we should buy, I quite like the idea of SMS as technically he has two really good feet and he can score and assist. My worry with him is his stamina and pace as he could end up looking lost. After him, I would want a player like: Nditi or Rice, however both of those would be eye bleedingly expensive owing to where they are and their contracts. 

3) LCB - Personally, I think a left footed CB is always a good idea to open up more angles, especially when you play 3atb. Problem here is numbers however. For me, Tomori will have his contract activated whilst I can see Zouma being sold as he isn't a natural fit in a ball playing side. Fortunately for us those two players would raise some decent cash. 

The issue then is finding the right player. In my opinion, Guehi may actually get a crack in the squad but as a CB4/5 who can be rotated in over the course of the season. However, if the club do not fancy that, then things get a little bit tougher. Only option I really see is Torres at Villareal, however not sure he is of the right level. 

GK2 - Mendy is off to the ACoN in January. This is a bit of an issue as we do not know if Kepa will go into a meltdown confidence wise again. In my opinion, the best thing for all parties is for Kepa to get a loan to try and play week in, week out, whilst we get someone like Arreola who has experience of being a back up GK and is of a good level. 

Not sure why you keep bringing up my suggestion of SMS. As my posts indicated, he was/is a player I like but he wasn't someone I was hammering on about and saying he was some sort of sure fire hit, like you thought Lukaku was going to be. 

As I indicated, I had worries about him in regard to the pace of the league and his stamina and that he may not even be necessary. 

My principal reason for suggesting him was that CM didn't get goals from open play and that against weaker sides like WBA we could do with a bigger body in there who could score.

I made no suggestion of switching away from the 3atb, as I have been going on since 2016 that it is our best formation. Hence, the SMS suggestion was a as a player who could play in the pivot and rotate with Kante/Jorgi/Kova in games where we would have a lot of possession and less defending to do. 

Additionally, during that time also I suggested Rice, Nditi and even Goeretka at one point (as at that point he was down to one year) so he wasn't even a player I was saying was a clear choice to go and get, but rather one that may be one that could work but even then would come with caveats. 

On 24/11/2021 at 2:48 AM, didierforever said:

Oh. How many serie a had inter won in the last decade? Were they expected to win the serie a? Lol. Lukaku led inter to that scuddeto

The rest of your post is just foolish agenda so I won't give it the bare respect to even be replied back to. 

As for difference between our performances, you are seriously putting it on Lukaku😂😂😂. Not the fact that when we started the season, for literally a month, most of our no. 10s were either injured or playing ****. Mount and kai needed time, had anyways come late from the euros, puli and ziyech were injured. Like I said silly, foolish agenda which should not even be given the respect to be replied back to. 

As for the last point, I specifically remember you saying that goals were the problem which can be solved by SMS. I don't think any of us guessed or could have guessed that RJ will turn into cafu and our defenders would be scoring so much. So how exactly was sms or any goal scoring mid going to make a difference to this team  from last season from the bench? Or were we to continue struggling to score any goals throughout the season specially in context to what was happening last season. 

Inter are getting the same sort of play out of an ancient Dzeko so saying Lukaku lead them to that is pushing it. Additionally, they lost Conte and Hakimi and are currently top of the league. 

My only agenda is highlighting that you clearly don't know what you're talking about and making sure everyone else knows about it. Since the start of last year, you've got into multiple heated debates with other posters on here and written as if what you post is 100% accurate. Unfortunately for you, you went out and back Lukaku as some sort of transformed player, whereas I said he was the same player as the one we saw before and would be a bad fit for us; this seemed to rile you and then you started getting on my back about how he would be a fantastic singing due to all his new qualities that there is no evidence of in Italy or we have seen in a Chelsea shirt. I am just calling you out on this. 

As for the performances, yes I do see a massive change when Lukaku is on the pitch as I said would happen prior to his signing. The problem is because he doesn't press and his technical deficiencies are still clearly present, which means he is a passenger for most of the game. This is why our chance creation dips massively when he is on the pitch. I get he is a decent finisher (although not a WC one), but what is the point of a decent finisher if having said finisher on the pitch means you can't create? That is what I said would happen and is happening, so not sure how this is an 'agenda'. I am just dismayed that people couldn't see this prior to his signing. 

As for SMS, I have covered that above partly, but just to reiterate. I had him down as a player who could be used against the weaker teams and give us a bit more of a goal threat against them but also add a bit more muscle to set pieces and in the middle against them too. At no point was I banging on about him being an absolute must buy (or even an sure fire hit of a signing as I indicated causes for concern if he would possibly have with the league.) So, not sure why you twist what I was saying by going on about me wanting to change formations (I don't) or that he was someone I wanted at all costs. 

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

Inter are getting the same sort of play out of an ancient Dzeko so saying Lukaku lead them to that is pushing it. Additionally, they lost Conte and Hakimi and are currently top of the league. 

I think for most of us the question of Lukaku is still an open one.  But you certainly make one good point in that post.

Not sure why you keep bringing up my suggestion of SMS. As my posts indicated, he was/is a player I like but he wasn't someone I was hammering on about and saying he was some sort of sure fire hit, like you thought Lukaku was going to be. 

As I indicated, I had worries about him in regard to the pace of the league and his stamina and that he may not even be necessary. 

My principal reason for suggesting him was that CM didn't get goals from open play and that against weaker sides like WBA we could do with a bigger body in there who could score.

I made no suggestion of switching away from the 3atb, as I have been going on since 2016 that it is our best formation. Hence, the SMS suggestion was a as a player who could play in the pivot and rotate with Kante/Jorgi/Kova in games where we would have a lot of possession and less defending to do. 

Additionally, during that time also I suggested Rice, Nditi and even Goeretka at one point (as at that point he was down to one year) so he wasn't even a player I was saying was a clear choice to go and get, but rather one that may be one that could work but even then would come with caveats. 

My only agenda is highlighting that you clearly don't know what you're talking about and making sure everyone else knows about it. Since the start of last year, you've got into multiple heated debates with other posters on here and written as if what you post is 100% accurate. Unfortunately for you, you went out and back Lukaku as some sort of transformed player, whereas I said he was the same player as the one we saw before and would be a bad fit for us; this seemed to rile you and then you started getting on my back about how he would be a fantastic singing due to all his new qualities that there is no evidence of in Italy or we have seen in a Chelsea shirt. I am just calling you out on this. 

As for the performances, yes I do see a massive change when Lukaku is on the pitch as I said would happen prior to his signing. The problem is because he doesn't press and his technical deficiencies are still clearly present, which means he is a passenger for most of the game. This is why our chance creation dips massively when he is on the pitch. I get he is a decent finisher (although not a WC one), but what is the point of a decent finisher if having said finisher on the pitch means you can't create? That is what I said would happen and is happening, so not sure how this is an 'agenda'. I am just dismayed that people couldn't see this prior to his signing. 

As for SMS, I have covered that above partly, but just to reiterate. I had him down as a player who could be used against the weaker teams and give us a bit more of a goal threat against them but also add a bit more muscle to set pieces and in the middle against them too. At no point was I banging on about him being an absolute must buy (or even an sure fire hit of a signing as I indicated causes for concern if he would possibly have with the league.) So, not sure why you twist what I was saying by going on about me wanting to change formations (I don't) or that he was someone I wanted at all costs. 

The problem with the whole SMS thing was that, you were advocating that our problem was "goals" and then dissing on us getting one of (if not the best) goal scorer in the world at the moment. See the irony in the whole thing? Also, where are Lazio these days in serie a?

Its 17 games, inter and AC have had a lot of false dawns. Just last year AC was right in the race and then they just screwed up. Lukaku kept it going. There is a reason Lukaku was called "KIng of Milan". How many people have that title? How many legendary strikers have played there over the year and can boast the same?

Lol

Lol. I dont think I have had heated debate with ANYONE except for "THE ONE". And if having heated debate with that poster makes anyone's opinion a little less valid, then most of the posters on here would have to face that non-validity. 

What are you calling me out on? So you think his back to the goal play has not improved? His ball retention has not improved? His link up play? Go and watch some of his plays with Lautaro. Anyone with 2 good eyes and a brain can see it.

You do understand that IF and when you get a marquee signing like Lukaku, the team needs to alter the way it plays to suit that guy. We have not yet. To start the season, we barely had any continuity. Mount, Kai did not have much of a pre-season and started in the 1st gear. Puli, ziyech were barely available, werner was werner. When we actually got match fit and up and running, lukaku got injured. Even in that short span, he single handedly won us atleast 6 points against arsenal and villa. 

Also, there are 2 different things. 1. Lukaku's improvement as a player, 2. point of his "FIT" in the team.

If Your issue was with Lukaku as a player, its pretty easy to see the improvement in him. Again, all you had to do is watch serie A last season, or just go and re-watch the arsenal game. The first goal (where he bulldozed the defender), but before that set it up by holding the ball, having the defender leave his position, getting the mid involved and then scoring the cross. It will go down as a tap-in if you see just the finish. But that was a "complete goal". Something he did a lot of last season too.  

If your point was of his "FIT" to the team, I dont see why that would be any different to bringing in someone like SMS (who you recommend). That would also mean changing the way we play as he barely fits in as a deep lying playmaker (specially in the far more fast paced PL) and we anyways have better options at 10. So my argument was always simple, I would rather solve our goal scoring problems by relying on one of the best goal scorer out there even if it means altering the system, than alter the system to incorporate a goal scoring MF. SImple as that, dont know why that was so hard to comprehend.

Sciatika   
21 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

I have a feeling that Christensen and Rudiger are both going to sign extensions in the next month or two...

We do have the "Best Club Director in European Football" in charge, so I have no doubt that every effort will be made.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I think for most of us the question of Lukaku is still an open one.  But you certainly make one good point in that post.

I think Lukaku might have the rest of the season and if he doesn't do it then he'll be Newcastle's star signing next season - provided they stay up.

asvaberg   

Aubameyang is clearly having trouble with management (and teammates?). Could we help him? :)

(he can clearly help us scoring goals)

Edited by asvaberg

11 minutes ago, asvaberg said:

Aubameyang is clearly having trouble with management (and teammates?). Could we help him? :)

(he can clearly help us scoring goals)

I really don't think we need to be helping Arsenal to get a better striker , leave that to Newcastle . 

• Haha 1