Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Floyd25   

Could be his agent trying to get a better deal, I have my doubts that we’re signing him, I’d rather promote Maatsen than sign him personally. 

Edited by Floyd25

25 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Levi Colwill used to play LB and LWB for us. Does he not play as a back anymore?

He's playing as a CB. Don't want to hype him too much, but his  style is very similar to that of a young JT. 

Sciatika   

Ah. OK. When he was playing in our academy, he also played LB and LWB, but if he is settled as a LCB, then not appropriate.

Think too many people are worried about age. The days of over 30's being past it are long gone. This generation of players is a different animal in terms of fitness and nutrition.

He's been quality this season, what I've seen of him, be interesting to see what @xCELERYx thinks. To me it's a no brainer.

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Think too many people are worried about age. The days of over 30's being past it are long gone. This generation of players is a different animal in terms of fitness and nutrition.

He's been quality this season, what I've seen of him, be interesting to see what @xCELERYx thinks. To me it's a no brainer.

I can understand the age concerns some may have. There's no real blanket rule for all once a player hits 30, there's a lot of variables that can impact just how relevant a player remains and if performance levels remain or dip. With respects to Perisic he's a very good player even at 33. While I don't think he'd start 33 games for us in the Premier League like he us done or Inter this season, he's still more than capable of holding his own and being a contributing player. It could be a shewed short term type deal if it does indeed happen. Given the widespread gaps we're going to have to fill, coupled with the experience and leadership we're losing, I'd be satisfied with Perisic coming on board. Especially if the alternative is someone like Dest. 

Do City or Liverpool sign 33 year olds, even as short-term stop- gaps? No they don't!

I'm fine with us keeping one or two experienced players around that age, but that's different to bringing one in. Silva and Ronaldo are elite level players and exceptions to that rule.

Furthermore, the Italian league is so poor these days that Perisic's good form at 33 is a meaningless guide as to whether he can hack it in the PL.

I'd much rather we look for a decent player in their mid 20's as a back up.

xCELERYx   
14 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Do City or Liverpool sign 33 year olds, even as short-term stop- gaps? No they don't!

I'm fine with us keeping one or two experienced players around that age, but that's different to bringing one in. Silva and Ronaldo are elite level players and exceptions to that rule.

Furthermore, the Italian league is so poor these days that Perisic's good form at 33 is a meaningless guide as to whether he can hack it in the PL.

I'd much rather we look for a decent player in their mid 20's as a back up.

You're right they don't, but that doesn't mean it's not a useful approach either. 

Man City pay a premium to have the players they do in reserve, we're looking to amend our wage structure not imbalance it further. While Liverpool had the luxury of being off the pace from the very beginning, this allowed time for a more organic rebuild to get them to where they are now. Neither club have been in the position we find ourselves in as of the present. 

Depending on who stays and goes, we're genuinely looking at the possibility of needing a good 8 or so first team level players just to maintain things, while also trying to retain being competitive across all competitions. We're going to need to spend on a few key players, so if there's an opportunity to plug one of the gaps we have with a proven option at no cost, or even at a minimal one, then that makes complete sense to explore. 

Filling out backup positions with quality is genuinely one of the hardest thing to do.

Perisic is not quite the "done deal" some here seem to think it is.

Screenshot 2022-05-14 at 09-24-08 Fabrizio Romano on Twitter.png

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

You're right they don't, but that doesn't mean it's not a useful approach either. 

Man City pay a premium to have the players they do in reserve, we're looking to amend our wage structure not imbalance it further. While Liverpool had the luxury of being off the pace from the very beginning, this allowed time for a more organic rebuild to get them to where they are now. Neither club have been in the position we find ourselves in as of the present. 

Depending on who stays and goes, we're genuinely looking at the possibility of needing a good 8 or so first team level players just to maintain things, while also trying to retain being competitive across all competitions. We're going to need to spend on a few key players, so if there's an opportunity to plug one of the gaps we have with a proven option at no cost, or even at a minimal one, then that makes complete sense to explore. 

Filling out backup positions with quality is genuinely one of the hardest thing to do.

I'd rather we offer Alonso a new contract. Considering the higher than expected number of games he's had to start, I think he's had a good season. Also, being a player who's game has never relied on pace, he'll decline at a slower rate than those who do and I reckon he still has a good 2-3 seasons left in him at this level. Having said that, I can fully understand him wanting to spend his final years in Spain, especially if Barca come calling.

Edited by boratsbrother

Honestly, this side is in dire need of a complete rebuild. Complete rebuild. The only players I see have any sort of long-term future at the club is Eduard Mendy, Mason Mount, Reece James, Trevoh Chalobah and Ben Chilwell.

The rest are either not good enough, too old, finished, or never was.

For the medium term I’d accept some making claims for Kovacic, Werner, Havertz, Hudson-Odoi and Pulisic but for them to be long-term solutions it requires a massive improvement from them. 

Edit: and we should build a new side of our best academy prospects and young up and coming players with a clear role to play in the team. Either we do it right this time or we do t do it at all. 

Edited by Sleeping Dave