Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Just my opinion on what I think might happen. 

In 
Gallagher
Kounde  
Gvaradol 
Perisic Free
A winger: Sterling/Dembelle/Mahrez  

Potentially In
Broja
Colwill

Out
Rudiger
Christensen
Alonso (assume this deal is already done as with the above two)

Potentially Out
Azpi
Ziyech
Werner  
Pulisic  
Kepa 

Think we could see something like the above happening.  We obviously have to do a bit of business with the departures.  It sounds like Kounde and Perisic could already be done.  We will need another CB and I think the most likely is Gvaradol given the reports. I think it would be good to have Colwill around at this time too for him to be eased into the squad.  I expect two of Ziyech, Pulisic and Werner to leave - which means we will likely bring in another attacking type player.  I think another attacking slot could be taken up by Broja or Gallagher(hopefully both).  I would love to have all three back in the squad next season.

There may be a Kante or Jorgi departure in which case I suspect that we would replace with either Rice or dare I say it Pogba.  I think this window will tell us a lot just as Romans's first window with us did.

Lukaku I think is here to stay.

chara   
3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Every time I watch Koundé he reminds me of a young Thiago Silva... only quicker. He'll only get better and better as his experience increases further.

Every time I watch Thiago Silva he reminds me of a young Thiago Silva!

22 minutes ago, Erland Johnson said:

Just my opinion on what I think might happen.

Agree with the numbers and positions (never like to guess on the specific players, mind) but would add Kepa out and a new reserve keeper in as more of a certainty. Don't think either the club or player can really afford to keep him as 2nd choice for a 3rd season and anticipate a loan he never really comes back from, unless Newcastle genuinely are chucking money about.

Also think Lukaku is going nowhere. His deal is too big and there's simply too many other things to deal with. My current guess on Broja is that he comes into the squad or is sold; he's done a year as a PL back-up getting decent game time so what benefit is there to him or us on another one? 

@Erland Johnson  I agree regarding Lukaku... he's not going anywhere. We'll just have to find a way of getting him the ball in positions he's comfortable with (not easy). Even if he still continues to misfire against other top 6 teams as is his history in the PL, if he can bully lower teams as he has done previously, we may not suffer the embarrassment of losing to Brentford or Everton and draws against Burnley, etc. Overall that has to be worth at least another 12 points. I can't see anyone else available to replace him, currently. It might sound unpalatable for some, but we'll just have to make do as best we can with him.

As for the £200m figure bandied about... I wouldn't be surprised that it ends up being higher, given the potential number of players that need replacing. Yes, there are academy and/or loanees who can take some squad places, but some experienced players will also be required. £200m net spend is more likely than £200m total spend, though I actually expect our net spend to be far lower than that. But I would be more surprised if we didn't go through the £200m gross spend than if we did.

I very much doubt we'll be going after Rice or Pogba, but if Boehly were to "show his intent" then £100m+ on Rice would probably be the move to make.

Ham   

Why would Raheem Sterling even think about representing a fanbase, one of whom was banned for life, lost his job and had his life turned upside down for calling him a "Manc c**t?"

DannyLB   
4 hours ago, bert19 said:

He looks like he quite enjoys a scrap and got sent off for chucking a ball at that numpty Jordi Alba's head.  Both reasonably admirable qualities I feel. 

He did what?! I already love him. Alba is the only player on the planet I genuinely hate. Despicable player. 

58 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

@Erland Johnson  I agree regarding Lukaku... he's not going anywhere. We'll just have to find a way of getting him the ball in positions he's comfortable with (not easy). Even if he still continues to misfire against other top 6 teams as is his history in the PL, if he can bully lower teams as he has done previously, we may not suffer the embarrassment of losing to Brentford or Everton and draws against Burnley, etc. Overall that has to be worth at least another 12 points. I can't see anyone else available to replace him, currently. It might sound unpalatable for some, but we'll just have to make do as best we can with him.

if Boehly were to "show his intent" then £100m+ on Rice would probably be the move to make.

It fills me with dismay to think about us keeping Lukaku and paying £100+ for another hugely overrated player like Rice.

For £100m + we should be buying genuine world class. Rice is a very good West Ham level player, but nothing more than that!   

As for Lukaku. With respect, it's nonsense for fans to keep saying we are stuck with him. We could easily move him on if he was told he was surplus to requirements, had his contract paid off and then put  up for sale. It would be worth that level of financial hit to move on a player who so drags us down. 

And btw. Nevermind being carp against good teams, he doesn't even bully the average or dross anymore. An occasional decent finish here and there in amongst a sea of championship level of play.

Rob B   
2 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

"Of Chelsea’s 26-man first team squad that completed their season with a victory over Watford in front of Boehly last Sunday, issues surround 14 of them with three players - Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Cristensen and Saúl Níguez - certain to leave.

Tuchel will want clarity over captain César Azpilicueta’s future soon, while players such as Marcos Alonso, Kepa Arrizabalaga, Timo Werner, Hakim Ziyech, Christian Pulisic, Ross Barkley and Kenedy will all be open to moves if Chelsea receive bids.

Big decisions face Chelsea’s new owners and Tuchel over Jorginho and N’Golo Kanté, who both have a year remaining on their contracts, while Romelu Lukaku and his representatives will seek talks over the striker’s future."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/05/25/todd-boehlys-new-era-chelsea-will-look-like/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1653484071

I made this point in another thread recently but I can’t remember too many summers where there has been as much uncertainty over the futures of so many of the playing squad. 

There’s probably only 7-8 players that I think if I was backed into a corner, would say will definitely be here next season.  So much to resolve, and unfortunately it’s not just the Kepa’s, Sarr’s and Barkley’s of the world, it’s a lot of first teamers too!! 

9 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I made this point in another thread recently but I can’t remember too many summers where there has been as much uncertainty over the futures of so many of the playing squad. 

There’s probably only 7-8 players that I think if I was backed into a corner, would say will definitely be here next season.  So much to resolve, and unfortunately it’s not just the Kepa’s, Sarr’s and Barkley’s of the world, it’s a lot of first teamers too!! 

Indeed. Forgetting the three definitely leaving, we have 4 senior players (Azpilicueta, Alonso, Kanté and Jorginho) in their final year of whom two, possibly three, look like they might want to move on. Add to that two, three, maybe even four of our attackers who probably feel they're not getting the minutes they deserve (we can all argue about whether or not they deserve the minutes they did get, but let's not go there - this is purely an exercise in who might stay and who might leave). And the cherry on the cake are the players - some currently in the squad, others on loan - who really are surplus to requirements.

Do we go "all in" and chuck out about 12-15 players? Where's James Prescott when you need him? 😉

Bison   
24 minutes ago, Rob B said:

I think we should view this as a positive.

The alternative would be to have a stagnant squad full of players on contracts you can't shed. We know what that feels like.