Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

chara   

For all the , somewhat justified, criticism of the transfer decisions made that led to the make up of the squad as it stands as I write, a deeper look, to my mind, shows less awful decisions and more an almost perfect storm scenario.

The "group" arrival of Havertz.Werner and Ziyech was supposed to be an upgrading of SFL's squad and the start of his rise but their group "impact" was so underwhelming that it was a factor in Frank leaving....not so much complete failures as indeed underwhelming...had they been transfers spread over a period of time individual underwhelming performances would have been seen as  less of an impact...add Pulisic and his lack of consistent contribution and the picture becomes clearer.

Saul as a loan punt was not a bad gamble but didn't really work out for anyone and again add that to the mix.

Lukaku ..sigh...enough has been written.

Other cases could be added but my post is about looking at things from a different angle....no need to go further back. The Baka DD and Barkley situations have been done to death and were over a period of time although just as detrimental to progress.

Just my humble opinion not a campaign or soapbox.

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

I made this point in another thread recently but I can’t remember too many summers where there has been as much uncertainty over the futures of so many of the playing squad. 

There’s probably only 7-8 players that I think if I was backed into a corner, would say will definitely be here next season.  So much to resolve, and unfortunately it’s not just the Kepa’s, Sarr’s and Barkley’s of the world, it’s a lot of first teamers too!! 

That's much like most summers when we haven't won anything of note. 

3 hours ago, Rob B said:

There’s probably only 7-8 players that I think if I was backed into a corner, would say will definitely be here next season.  

I can only come up with 7 - Mendy. Silva. James. Chilly. Kova. Havertz. Gallagher.

Chalobah and CHO as probables.

Edited by boratsbrother

16 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

I can only come up with 7 - Mendy. Silva. James. Chilly. Kova. Havertz. Gallagher.

You think Mount is leaving? 😱

Rob B   
50 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Yeah I basically had exactly the same list but Mount instead of Gallagher on the basis he’s not in the current squad (albeit I think we will retain him this season) 

Going to make for an interesting summer…

xCELERYx   
7 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

It fills me with dismay to think about us keeping Lukaku and paying £100+ for another hugely overrated player like Rice.

For £100m + we should be buying genuine world class. Rice is a very good West Ham level player, but nothing more than that!   

As for Lukaku. With respect, it's nonsense for fans to keep saying we are stuck with him. We could easily move him on if he was told he was surplus to requirements, had his contract paid off and then put  up for sale. It would be worth that level of financial hit to move on a player who so drags us down. 

And btw. Nevermind being carp against good teams, he doesn't even bully the average or dross anymore. An occasional decent finish here and there in amongst a sea of championship level of play.

We're not going to spend £100m on Rice so I really wouldn't get too wrapped up into that. In saying that, much like the shallow talent pool of strikers out there right now in the game, there's also an equally shallow talent pool of defensive/holding midfielders. Rice is literally one of the best options out there that's not already at an elite club and would be obtainable. Otherwise you're looking at the likes of Ndidi, Bissouma, Kalvin Phillips, Ruben Neves and Soucek as the remaining type of options, not all of which fit our criteria of need from the position. So it's hard to see him not command a big fee with West Ham holding all the cards.

As for Lukaku, you do realise for him to leave, irrespective if he's told to go or requests to do so himself, that there needs to be a buyer right? What club/s are out there that can both realistically pay both a transfer fee and his wages? Inter are strapped and can't afford to bring him back. I doubt he'd join AC Milan or that they could afford him anyways. Juve don't need him. So that basically rules out a return to Serie A. La Liga isn't much different either, neither Madrid or Barca are in need. Atletico Madrid can't afford him. Bayern have only spend £50+ on two players in their history, and still have Lewa contracted for another season. None of the usual Premier League sides need him, which virtually leaves Newcastle by default because of their deep pockets. Then PSG is arguably the only other candidate who could afford a deal and may need another forward depending on what happens with Icardi. So we're looking at two sides in the world of football right now as possible destinations. Far from easily moveable. 

There's literally zero chance we write off his contract that still has 4 years remaining on it. Maybe if there was 12 or 18 months left, it'd be a bit more feasible, but not with the length it still as right now. 

I know you don't like or rate Lukaku one little bit but you shouldn't let it cloud the situation either, there's far more chance he stays than is sold and that's something that just needs to be accepted. 

xCELERYx   
6 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Indeed. Forgetting the three definitely leaving, we have 4 senior players (Azpilicueta, Alonso, Kanté and Jorginho) in their final year of whom two, possibly three, look like they might want to move on. Add to that two, three, maybe even four of our attackers who probably feel they're not getting the minutes they deserve (we can all argue about whether or not they deserve the minutes they did get, but let's not go there - this is purely an exercise in who might stay and who might leave). And the cherry on the cake are the players - some currently in the squad, others on loan - who really are surplus to requirements.

Do we go "all in" and chuck out about 12-15 players? Where's James Prescott when you need him? 😉

I think if we're going to this is the time to do it. We're not really going to get a better opportunity to just clean house and build something fresh. It's not as if we're close to Man City or Liverpool right now as is, and the competition for the two other remaining top four spots is only going to become fiercer if Spurs back Conte, Man Utd get their **** together, and with Newcastle soon to be in the mix themselves (although maybe not next season). 

While I don't see this being a one summer transformation we can at least get some of the core pieces together now.

• Like 1

ROTG   
51 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Otherwise you're looking at the likes of Ndidi, Bissouma, Kalvin Phillips, Ruben Neves and Soucek as the remaining type of options,

Would take Kelvin Philips all day long. 1/3 the price of rice, and a Belinda graduate who can be coached.

xCELERYx   
6 minutes ago, ROTG said:

Would take Kelvin Philips all day long. 1/3 the price of rice, and a Belinda graduate who can be coached.

Wouldn't be disappointed either, I do think he's a tidy player overall. That said, I believe Man City have been linked with him for around £50m mark do we'd have competition.