Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Kezza   
29 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

What mould?

The only old signing we have made recently has been Silva and he has been bloody brilliant 

I take it you think Pique is Silva quality. 

Kezza   

I would rather Foden than Sterling. But he’s grown in stature over Sterling in recent months. Only reason why Sterling didn’t play as regularly as before. Not necessarily he’s bad. 

paulw66   
19 minutes ago, JaneB said:

How reliable is Gianluca Di Marzio?  

I can't imagine Sterling at Chelsea or that he would want to come here tbh.

London boy, don't forget 

paulw66   
12 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I take it you think Pique is Silva quality. 

No. Where did I say that?

I was challenging your implication that we make a habit of signing old players 

Holymoly   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Those Ake links are the symptom of a fevered imagination I think , he's simply not good enough . 

I do fear that Kounde will go to Barca though and despite all the work that is seemingly being put into getting rid of Lukaku we really are playing catch up as our biggest rivals are all getting their signings in early .

As long as we sign our replacements prior to pre season commencing we should be ok but I fear another underwhelming campaign where we were our own biggest enemy .

Nobody ever learns any lessons at our club 

Win the league , don't strengthen.

Signing injured players 

Signing them too late .

Signing players the coach doesn't like .

Let's hope someone has the first idea what's going on as from the outside it looks like nothing much or certainly not enough.

I totally agree with you Mark.

OK next season is going to be really strange because of the World Cup happening bang in the middle. It will quite possibly end up as one of those "Leicester" seasons where something totally unexpected will happen to the top four. However, we are sleepwalking, yet again, through a summer transfer window where any new players won't get a pre-season, and quite possibly miss the entire first month of the season. That is not good enough for a club already needing needing strengthening even before any departures. I don't want to believe that the new ownership didn't have a long list of players they were interested in before the signatures were added to the sale agreement.

It comes down to the fact that when you have a single owner it becomes straightforward to budget for new acquisitions. When that ownership becomes a committee of interested parties then all of a sudden everyone has to sign off on it and the gears begin to slow down to a glacial grind. I don't know what the process is at the moment but I would argue that the best way forward is to give the club a budget and leave them to it. I really hope that we are not in a situation where bean counters have to rubber stamp every single approach as down that road lies frustration, delay and ultimate failure.

11 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

I totally agree with you Mark.

OK next season is going to be really strange because of the World Cup happening bang in the middle. It will quite possibly end up as one of those "Leicester" seasons where something totally unexpected will happen to the top four. However, we are sleepwalking, yet again, through a summer transfer window where any new players won't get a pre-season, and quite possibly miss the entire first month of the season. That is not good enough for a club already needing needing strengthening even before any departures. I don't want to believe that the new ownership didn't have a long list of players they were interested in before the signatures were added to the sale agreement.

It comes down to the fact that when you have a single owner it becomes straightforward to budget for new acquisitions. When that ownership becomes a committee of interested parties then all of a sudden everyone has to sign off on it and the gears begin to slow down to a glacial grind. I don't know what the process is at the moment but I would argue that the best way forward is to give the club a budget and leave them to it. I really hope that we are not in a situation where bean counters have to rubber stamp every single approach as down that road lies frustration, delay and ultimate failure.

It's already been made clear that Boehly will be the person who deals with the football side of the business for the consortium.

He will indeed be given a budget for transfers and wages and obviously work with TT and Marina on how best to spend it. The only difference I can see between this way and how it was under Roman is they will be working with a budget, something which every club except City and Newcastle will be doing, so not much to worry about imho.

chelboy   

The fee definitely won’t be £35M. Jesus is being quoted at £50m . Sterling is an English player so there’s gonna be a higher value added. My guess is around £65M. What would be best is we spend the summer convincing him to come then go for him in January for a very low price or next summer for free. This isn’t really a transfer I can get behind but if it’s what TT wants then I guess he should be backed. After this window we should be getting a DOF. I think we need one. 

Chelsea growing in confidence over signing Raheem Sterling from Manchester City

Chelsea are growing in confidence that they can complete a deal for Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling.

Sterling, 27, is available for a cut-price fee this summer as he has only one year left to run on his contract at the Etihad Stadium, so could leave on a free in 12 months' time.

It is understood that Sterling has been talking to people about what life is like at Chelsea and what Thomas Tuchel is like as a manager, and one source at the club believes the only stumbling block to a deal being completed is the size of the fee.

Sterling, who moved to London from Jamaica at the age of five, has been at Manchester City for the past seven years.

Goals were an issue for Chelsea last season and Sterling has proved himself in that regard at City, scoring 131 goals in 339 appearances for the reigning Premier League champions.

He joined City from Liverpool for an initial £44 million in July 2015 and has gone on to win four Premier League titles, one FA Cup and three League Cups.

Erling Haaland's arrival, plus the form of the likes of Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Riyad Mahrez, has meant there will be fierce competition for places in Pep Guardiola’s starting XI next season. Gabriel Jesus could also depart the club with Arsenal making the Brazilian their No 1 striker target.

Sterling, who can play out wide and through the middle as a false nine, could help fill the void left by Romelu Lukaku at Chelsea if the forward seals a return to former side Inter Milan.

The Athletic reported earlier this week that talks between Inter and Chelsea are continuing with an improved offer anticipated after the Italian side's initial approach was turned down.

A loan deal that would enable Lukaku to rejoin Inter is being negotiated, a year on from the £97.5 million switch which took the Belgium striker to Stamford Bridge for the second time in his career.

Inter are ready to cover the whole salary they agreed with Lukaku and having seen a proposed fee of about €5 million rejected by Chelsea, they are expected to reach a figure that would be acceptable.

https://theathletic.com/news/chelsea-raheem-sterling-manchester-city/H6hDg4POdAmo/

28 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

[SNIP]

When it comes to the footballing side of things, I don't think it'll be 'management by committee'. The various interested parties - Boehly, Clearlake, etc. - will have agreed a budget regarding spending, but not every interested party will be required to sign off on every single signing, if that's what you think is slowing us down. It's been made clear that, whatever the percentages in terms of ownership, Boehly is the man in charge of the day-to-day running of the club.

What's slowing us down is Lukaku. Until the club know exactly what's happening, we'll be travelling like a car where the driver has forgotten to take the hand brake off. If he goes back to Inter, do we get someone from them in return? It makes talking to other players in similar positions a bit more complicated. It also complicates the whole financial package we have to play with. Do we get a loan fee and a contractual agreement that Inter will buy next summer? If so, how much? What about wage contributions? Lukaku is apparently willing to take a pay cut to go back, but even so, we'll still, it seems, have to contribute something towards his wages. What if talks break down and he ends up staying?  What happens to Lukaku affects much of our business this summer... not all of it, but enough to potentially really f*** us up!