Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

22 minutes ago, Original 21 said:

If someone who knows about football accounts can explain whether this is an acceptable loan deal for Lukaku, or are we just happy to be rid of?

Important news about the negotiations between Chelsea and Inter for Romelu Lukaku. The London club sent their conditions for a paid loan for the Belgian striker, as Lukaku has requested to return to the Nerazzurri: 10 million euros plus bonuses tied to the amount wins, which is not guaranteed.

Inter previously offered 5 million euros plus bonus, but they are ready to meet Chelsea's demands. Therefore, the conditions are set for Lukaku's return and it is possible that they are steps away from completion.

The last hurdle for the transfer is Steven Zhang's consent, who has to approve the final push to conclude the negotiations with Chelsea. There are the foundations to reach a quick conclusion to bring back Lukaku without they counterweights. Lukaku is ready to reduce his 12 million euro salary to return to Inter.

https://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/lukaku-steps-away-from-inter-missing-zhang-s-approval

Too many unknowns, at this stage, to come to any conclusion.

We get €10m plus performance/trophy (?) related bonuses as a loan fee. Lukaku is accepting a lower salary... but is 100% of that lower salary being paid by Inter, or are we still contributing? What happens next summer? Is there an obligation for Inter to buy? If so, how much?

chelboy   
4 hours ago, Bison said:

Sterling's contract expires next summer. It makes no sense signing him for 65m.

I know Marina would consider that excellent business as she paid a similar fee for the underwhelming Pulisic. He too had one year left on his deal and had lost his place to an 18 year old Sancho but she still saw fit to buy him for 58m.

Surely the new owners aren't that stupid?

I hope they won’t fall for a price that high for a player with 1 year left. They might be desperate to give TT a good first impression. If that’s the only attacker we get this season I will be extremely disappointed. 

JaneB   
3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yeah 

But .

DeBruyne is good.

And he doesn’t dive as much 🫢

paulw66   

The same people bemoaning the lack of goals from our forwards are turning their nose up at a guy who has bagged 110 in the last five seasons 

Work that out? I can't. 

5 hours ago, Original 21 said:

Chelsea growing in confidence over signing Raheem Sterling from Manchester City

Chelsea are growing in confidence that they can complete a deal for Manchester City forward Raheem Sterling.

Sterling, 27, is available for a cut-price fee this summer as he has only one year left to run on his contract at the Etihad Stadium, so could leave on a free in 12 months' time.

It is understood that Sterling has been talking to people about what life is like at Chelsea and what Thomas Tuchel is like as a manager, and one source at the club believes the only stumbling block to a deal being completed is the size of the fee.

Sterling, who moved to London from Jamaica at the age of five, has been at Manchester City for the past seven years.

Goals were an issue for Chelsea last season and Sterling has proved himself in that regard at City, scoring 131 goals in 339 appearances for the reigning Premier League champions.

He joined City from Liverpool for an initial £44 million in July 2015 and has gone on to win four Premier League titles, one FA Cup and three League Cups.

Erling Haaland's arrival, plus the form of the likes of Phil Foden, Jack Grealish and Riyad Mahrez, has meant there will be fierce competition for places in Pep Guardiola’s starting XI next season. Gabriel Jesus could also depart the club with Arsenal making the Brazilian their No 1 striker target.

Sterling, who can play out wide and through the middle as a false nine, could help fill the void left by Romelu Lukaku at Chelsea if the forward seals a return to former side Inter Milan.

The Athletic reported earlier this week that talks between Inter and Chelsea are continuing with an improved offer anticipated after the Italian side's initial approach was turned down.

A loan deal that would enable Lukaku to rejoin Inter is being negotiated, a year on from the £97.5 million switch which took the Belgium striker to Stamford Bridge for the second time in his career.

Inter are ready to cover the whole salary they agreed with Lukaku and having seen a proposed fee of about €5 million rejected by Chelsea, they are expected to reach a figure that would be acceptable.

https://theathletic.com/news/chelsea-raheem-sterling-manchester-city/H6hDg4POdAmo/

I thought the follow-up piece was interesting in terms of why City would sell him. It's a policy we ourselves have seen, closer to home... why try and force a player to stay?

Why are City open to letting Sterling leave this summer?

SAM LEE - MANCHESTER CITY CORRESPONDENT: City’s blanket policy when it comes to players wanting to leave is to let them go — as long as they can bring a good offer to the table. In this case, the definition of a “good offer” is conditioned by Sterling only having 12 months left on his contract.

He has been open to a move away for the past year, and could have left last summer too had a top club come calling. Barcelona had been interested, and Sterling was keen to pursue a loan, but ultimately they switched their attention to Ferran Torres, and bought him in January.

Sterling became concerned about his playing time during the 2020-21 season and, as a result, has not wanted to commit his future to City until he was more sure of his chances of game time. During last season, however, he continued to be in and out of the team, and is happy to listen to offers this summer. As such, City wouldn't stand in his way, but are sure to try to recoup as much money as possible, especially with a move to a Premier League rival looking far more likely than a move abroad.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

The same people bemoaning the lack of goals from our forwards are turning their nose up at a guy who has bagged 110 in the last five seasons 

Work that out? I can't. 

Mental isn't it? I'm not a big fan of his but there is absolutely no doubt he will score more goals than any of our current wide players, probably more than all of them put together.

It's fairly obvious what the manager wants when the two players we look most likely to sign are Sterling and Dembele, both completely different to what we already have.

I think Havertz will start as first choice up front with Werner as back up as I can't see us bringing in a whole new front three in one summer, especially when we have so much to do on the defensive side, and I'd be more than happy with that. There are very few strikers out there that I would even consider and Havertz has shown enough that he's potentially better, by far, than anyone we could realistically get.

I saw something earlier that he was the 4th, I think, highest scorer in the last 5 years if you don't include penalties. He's a goal every 190 minutes and a goal or assist every 110 minutes for City. That's in 339 games so not just a one off.

All were gonna get now though is that it's because he plays for City and Werner or Pulisic or Ziyech would produce those sort of numbers if they played for them.

Edited by Martin1905

GURJ SS   

The more solid rumours are that we're in for the following players:

Kounde, Milinkovic-Savic, Sterling, Dembele, Jesus.

Kounde's lack of height would leave us quite a short team defensively if he's our only recruitment in defence. Is he better than Rudi, no, but he's better than Rudi was at his age. The deal looks done.

M.Savic would be an upgrade on what we currently have, a central player who can get forward with intent and also doesn't shy away from helping defensively; very balanced box to box player who's comfortable on the ball and doesn't get phased when up against someone 1v1, but overall a team player.

Sterling is better than what we have, I think if Pulisic never had his hamstring injury then he wouldn't be, but currently Sterling walks into our starting lineup.

Dembele is a flop, put it down to injury, bad luck, whatever, but his career has been extremely poor. If we take into account how very few players start off their careers injury prone but go on to have great careers, he's a huge huge risk and one I think is too big for us right now when we're desperate to bolster attacking positions, especially with our history of attackers turning out to be duds.

Jesus is an upgrade on what we currently have, he is able to link up play well and take players on 1v1 in advanced areas of the pitch.

I'd take them all apart from Dembele.

26 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Work that out? I can't. 

How many had Lukaku scored in the seasons immediately before signing for us?

It really isn't difficult. Some people think that goalscoring record has more to do with the teams he has been than his individual goalscoring prowess. It's an opinion rather than a provable fact, but let's not pretend it isn't an entirely reasonable opinion.

I think he'd get about as many goals in our team as the existing players we have in those positions would, maybe slightly more but not enough so for me to be that excited.

• Like 2

Sterling plays in the dominant team in the league surrounded by players who slice through teams with their passing and create easy chances for fun. Lets see how great he is facing packed defenses and in a team with a fraction of the flair and creativity of City.

21 minutes ago, GURJ SS said:

The more solid rumours are that we're in for the following players:

Kounde, Milinkovic-Savic, Sterling, Dembele, Jesus.

Kounde's lack of height would leave us quite a short team defensively if he's our only recruitment in defence. Is he better than Rudi, no, but he's better than Rudi was at his age. The deal looks done.

M.Savic would be an upgrade on what we currently have, a central player who can get forward with intent and also doesn't shy away from helping defensively; very balanced box to box player who's comfortable on the ball and doesn't get phased when up against someone 1v1, but overall a team player.

Sterling is better than what we have, I think if Pulisic never had his hamstring injury then he wouldn't be, but currently Sterling walks into our starting lineup.

Dembele is a flop, put it down to injury, bad luck, whatever, but his career has been extremely poor. If we take into account how very few players start off their careers injury prone but go on to have great careers, he's a huge huge risk and one I think is too big for us right now when we're desperate to bolster attacking positions, especially with our history of attackers turning out to be duds.

Jesus is an upgrade on what we currently have, he is able to link up play well and take players on 1v1 in advanced areas of the pitch.

I'd take them all apart from Dembele.

I wouldn't be too concerned about his lack of height. He's got a good leap. His timing is good. And he himself has said that defending a high ball isn't always about outjumping the opponent. Watch him and he's a younger version of Thiago Silva. He's not the finished article yet, but he's already one of the very best and with room to improve.

With more time on my hands than I'd prefer just now, I was musing last night as to what I'd be OK with in terms of squad for next season, and came up with this.

GK: Mendy, Baxter*, Bettinelli*

RB/RWB: James*, Sterling*

LB/LWB: Chilwell*, Emerson

CB: Silva, Chalobah*, Colwill*, Koundé, Gvardiol

CM: Kovacic, Gallagher*, Loftus-Cheek*, Ampadu*, Milinković-Savić

AM/W: Mount*, Hudson-Odoi*, Ziyech, Sterling* or Dembélé

CF/F9: Havertz, Werner, Broja*, Jesus or Richarlison

* 'Home Grown' under PL rules

13 from 2021-22 squad + 7 players returning from loans + 5 new signings

I know there's no Kanté or Jorginho... I'm going on the basis that with a year left on their contracts, we're better off cashing in now if we can rather than extending. Hudson-Odoi stays over Pulisic as I think (given the wages of one over the other), Pulisic is the easier to move on.  Only one I'm really not sure about is Broja... I think it's 50/50 between him staying and being sold.

Anyway, I'll probably be way out by the time the window closes, but, well... just a bit of fun.