Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

22 minutes ago, chelboy said:

Why not choose Jesus over Sterling. That’s what I am struggling to understand. When I look at how we play Jesus just seems a better fit. Sterling is an indecisive player who shares similarities to Werner. Sterling is just better on the ball and with ball control in wide areas. Both will get into good positions and will miss a ton of chances though. Jesus is more of a complete player on the ball and has moments of flair. He’s comfortable on both feet, can head quite well. He doesn’t run head down into trouble. Can play across the front 3 comfortably. I don’t know why people say Sterling can play false 9. I haven’t seen him play well there. I’m not a big fan of either but Jesus just makes more sense. I hope our scouting team have looked closely at Sterling physical stats each year. He’s done a lot of running and covered a lot of distance since he was 18 playing for Liverpool 10 years ago. I’m expecting him to start declining in the next two years. It’s bound to take its toll on him soon. 

Think you'd have to ask the manager.

It appears both are available for very similar prices and we prefer Sterling. Personally I don't but can concede that the manager probably knows a bit more than I do.

ROTG   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I am not a big fan of Sterling at all, in fact if I could use one word to describe him it would be, rubbish.

However his stats are phenomenal especially as he has spent the vast, vast majority of his time at City as a winger. He may have been used, at times through the middle but it is not the norm. Transfermarkt, who are very good at that sort of thing have him playing 39 of his 339 games as a centre forward/number 10.

I have a good feeling about this, which is strange as like I say I've always thought he was rubbish but what I like is it feels like the manager has been given a big say in who we sign. Sterling and Dembele in one window is basically ripping up our front line and starting again and I do not think Sterling is the sort of player the club would have even considered but I can see Tuchel really liking him.

The other thing that gets me excited by these potential two signings is I am convinced we are looking to change the system to a back 4 with Kounde coming in too. There is no way we are going to buy enough centre backs to continue with a back 5. We would need at least 3 and it is just not going to happen.

So, hopefully this gives us the chance to move to a 433 with Mount dropping into the middle 3 and also bringing back Gallagher, so it's almost like signing two new centre mids being bought in too.

For what it's worth I hope both Jorginho and Kante stay , we'd be better off keeping them and letting them go for free next year and I very much suspect the manager wants them both to stay, at least for one more season.

As for the centre forward position I do not see anyone, other than Martinez remotely worth buying, there is literally no one. Havertz has shown more than enough to be given another go there and personally I'd happily keep Werner as back up. Werner in between Sterling and Dembele is a different animal to what we have previously seen.

Two signings, one for free could change everything and see our front six look something like this.

Kante Jorginho Mount 

Dembele Havertz Sterling 

Or 

Gallagher Kovacic RLC 

Ziyech Werner Pulisic

Options and depth and as far as I'm concerned an abundance of quality, a complete change to the system and style with a very reasonable outlay.

I someone offered you a 10 year old mini with 150K on the clock would you buy it? That is Sterling IMO a machine that's been thrashed for 10 years and is going to cost a fortune to keep maintained without it ever being as good as a lower millage mini's f the same age.

As for Dembele, in my younger years I decided to buy a Fiat 124 sport "70's dream machine", what a class looking car with all the bells and whistles I was over the moon. At the time I was fortunate enough to live on a main road with the bus stop opposite. So for 18 Months every morning I would leave the house 5 minutes before the bus came get into my beautiful fiat and turn the key, a big cheer would come from the bus stop if the car moved, however it was 50/50 that I would get out the car walk across the road and catch the bus. `to me that is Dembele and what supporters are in for should he be signed

ROTG   
11 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Think you'd have to ask the manager.

It appears both are available for very similar prices and we prefer Sterling. Personally I don't but can concede that the manager probably knows a bit more than I do.

Buying one of Chitty cast offs, is the club paying for Haaland's purchase price.

ROTG   
2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

We've got several years of rebuilding on our hands while also still trying to be good enough to maintain a top 4 position and Champions League football. That's not the easiest of tasks to manage.

We are not manure or the dippers, the club has brought players of quality which requires organisation and coaching. Yes the club needs to address the CB issue and a midfield maestro, the rest should come for tactical purchases from within the PL fodder who are happy to be a number two.

Even with the departures the squad with a couple of additions is a +80 team, which should be the bar for TT in the coming season

For what it is worth, here is what my mate who is a CIty season ticket holder had to say on Sterling:

"You can have him. The most frustrating player but he does have amazing moments. We are better without him playing but he does offer something different to everything else we have."

"The amount of times he loses the ball is staggering. It's expected from a wide player but it's his control and passing that let him down not his dribbling."

He went on to say that he thinks City want £100m combined for Jesus and Sterling so he can't see them accepting much less than £50m.

From Ben Jacobs on Twitter [using the Threadreader app]

01.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ham said:

Waster. 

It just fits in with my original opinion that he wasn't trying , he never looked like he was to me and according to reports I've read elsewhere this was the night before one of the Madrid games where he missed his customary sitter , it's my belief he was trying to be as bad as possible to force the clubs hand as to be frank nobody is that bad without really trying to be . 

I cannot wait until the oaf is gone .

paulw66   
1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

It just fits in with my original opinion that he wasn't trying , he never looked like he was to me and according to reports I've read elsewhere this was the night before one of the Madrid games where he missed his customary sitter , it's my belief he was trying to be as bad as possible to force the clubs hand as to be frank nobody is that bad without really trying to be . 

I cannot wait until the oaf is gone .

yes, he stopped trying. Which is criminal. You can talk about lack of service etc, which is fine, but if you aren't getting the service you want, you can still run about and make a nuisance of yourself at the absolute least. 

Such a shame because just before the interview came out, he came on at Villa Park on boxing day and turned the game around. He played exactly like we all hoped he would. Then he gave up

chelboy   
49 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

For what it is worth, here is what my mate who is a CIty season ticket holder had to say on Sterling:

"You can have him. The most frustrating player but he does have amazing moments. We are better without him playing but he does offer something different to everything else we have."

"The amount of times he loses the ball is staggering. It's expected from a wide player but it's his control and passing that let him down not his dribbling."

He went on to say that he thinks City want £100m combined for Jesus and Sterling so he can't see them accepting much less than £50m.

Pretty much a good description of him. I said it before that he’s not good in build up play and he’s going to frustrate a lot of fans here during the build up. His running into trouble is something he has similar to our other attackers. When I think about it , Sterling is sort of a hybrid of Werner and Pulisic. I also have a feeling City will be better off without him. I just hope he can add something here if he comes. 

56 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

From Ben Jacobs on Twitter [using the Threadreader app]

01.png

In Turkey, it's common for big player signings to be greeted by hordes of fans when they arrive at the local airport and the stadium/training ground.

If we had a culture like that here, I can assure you that there would be hordes of our fans at the airport departure and outside our stadium celebrating when this deal is done. 

Never has the idiom GOOD RIDDANCE been more apt. 

• Haha 1