Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

[SNIP]

KDB has risen to the top. How many other Chelsea academy/ never made it to the first team have gone on top be a start performer a top PL team?

Except de Bruyne wasn't an academy product. He was 21 when he signed at the end of the January 2012 window and remained with Genk on loan until the end of the season. He then went to Werder Bremen on loan for the 2012-13 season. He played half a season for Chelsea before being sold to Wolfsburg in January 2014.

We've made plenty of mistakes in the transfer market - mostly buying but some selling - however, I can't think of a single academy product that we have allowed to leave who has become a regular starter for a team at our level or above. There are some who left who would have done a better job than some who remained (Tomori or Guehi over Sarr any day, for example), but however good they were, they were not nailed-on starters. There are some who, partly for sentimental reasons, I would have preferred to keep (and I honestly can't believe Tammy Abraham would have done worse than Lukaku). But overall, we've not made any horrendous mistakes.

43 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Equally would KDB and Salah have risen to the top had they stayed at Chelsea and not necessarily played every week? Which let's be honest they wouldn't have done because they simply weren't good enough at that point. 

If Broja or any other academy product goes away and becomes a very good player, it doesn't mean that would have been their progression with us or any other situation.

Absolutely. Had they stayed, their development could have been quite different.

ROTG   
33 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

KDB wasn't ready for a regular place but Salah was very close to being ready for one!

I say this after watching a YouTube vid a while ago of some of his play at Chelsea. Almost everything that we see now was there at Chelsea, everything except his upper body strength and work rate off the ball. Both of those minor flaws (minor for a young player making his way) would have easily been improved on by a manager with vision beyond thinking about the there and then. Every top manager except Jose would have spotted just what a talent we had on our hands. 

Maybe if he stayed and Conte took over he might have ended up a WB.

its a funny old game. 

Edited by ROTG

4 hours ago, Everyonesallowedanopinion said:

What's the point of having an academy?

Any youngster in future will think about coming here, if they can see that there not even given a chance, Lampty, Tomori, Guehi, Livramento and now Broja all loaned out and then let go.

Our academy has a fantastic recent record of producing players capable of playing at PL level, that is not an easy thing to do. The most recent England squad I think 6 of the 24 strong squad were Cobham boys. There is also a history of young men with horrific injury problems being kept on just so they can receive treatment with us.

I would hope anyone advising a young player would recognise the benefits of our academy to having a succesful career in football, even if it did not necessarily translate into actually playing for chelsea. Even though we probably have given out more minutes to academy players than any other PL team in the last 3 years.

Also to nit pick on the examples given - Lamptey and Livramento were never loaned out, and Broja still plays for us!

• Like 1

xhuga2   

Chelsea seeking to do a money ball this summer. First Sterling, now Jonathan Clauss. We are looking for very good players for an affordable price. Meanwhile, Man City and Real Madrid are looking for the creme de la creme of players. I miss Roman. sob sob. Marina is leaving soon. Could our transfer window end up being ****? 

RDCW   
3 minutes ago, xhuga2 said:

Chelsea seeking to do a money ball this summer. First Sterling, now Jonathan Clauss. We are looking for very good players for an affordable price. Meanwhile, Man City and Real Madrid are looking for the creme de la creme of players. I miss Roman. sob sob. Marina is leaving soon. Could our transfer window end up being ****? 

Well if Jonathan is part of the Santa dynasty we can expect him to have all the requisite gifts.

I'll get my coat.

xhuga2   
21 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Well if Jonathan is part of the Santa dynasty we can expect him to have all the requisite gifts.

I'll get my coat.

hahaha...

10 minutes ago, xhuga2 said:

Under the new regieme there won't be anymore signings like,  Sheva, Torres,  Kepa, Lukaku or massive money on unproven players like Havertz. Will that hold us back from competing for the title again? Not at all!

if we hire scouts who are top notch at their job, we can compete again. Over the past 25 years we have signed  some very good value for money players who were significant upgrades on what we had before and helped move the club forward  - Cudicini and then onto Cech. Gallas. Bridge. Desailly. Lampard. Makelele. Joe Cole. Gudjohnson. JFH. Robben. Drogba. Ivanovic. Mata. Azpi. Hazard, Kante and others. 

All those type signings should still be well within our price range, especially after immediate issues are sorted and things settle down over the next year or so. 

35 minutes ago, xhuga2 said:

If by "moneyball" you mean the club looking at players who are a better fit to the way the coach wants to play and not just chucking big money at "big names" who don't work out, or last-minute scrambling for a replacement goalkeeper that ends up costing £70m+ and wages of around £200,000 a week when 6 months earlier he could have been bought for around a third of that, then I'm all for it.

Kezza   

I’m all for a well thought out recruiting system. The Boehly Tuchel duo strike me as knowledgeable, experienced and actually knowing what to do. Honestly the clubs recruiting was hit and miss at times and signing players do seem to be on impulse, panic or just going by the trend at times. Looking towards a better thought out process with the new management.