Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Boehly likes the way Liverpool go about their business something which has been further underlined by his approach to bring in Michael Edwards.

Signing the likes of Sterling would be more of the same - nothing beyond just signing random players who we think are decent and can afford. Utd have been doing the same too and also got nowhere near winning the title.

This approach has lead us to having a midfield and attack made up of players who do not compliment eachother. Carrying on this way will only slow down real progress.

Why Klopp and Michael Edwards have been so clever in the transfer market is because they did not try and rush things along. Instead of looking at and signing random players, Klopp only wants players who fit his system. Only wants players who tick all the technical and physical boxes needed to play for his team, irrespective of price tag. If a player doesn't tick the boxes then they don't sign him and go and look at another player. A very simple but very effective way of building a good team, but one that needs to be given time. I'd rather we go down this road than carry on with the way we've been buying players 

Boehly might like the Liverpool model but that's not something that just gets implemented overnight either, therefore it's not particularly applicable to this current transfer window. More trust is being put in Tuchel and that so far looks like the big driver for this window, signing players Tuchel is requesting. It may not be how it works completely down the line, but again until things are setup properly to run it through a more analytical manner we're going to have to make do with a more standardised approach.  

I'm not suggesting the way you've explained it is wrong, or that I even disagree, it's just not going to happen right now. We're also not in a position to just sit idly by and do nothing either, so we're sort of damned if we do, damned if we don't. 

Kezza   
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

Boehly likes the way Liverpool go about their business something which has been further underlined by his approach to bring in Michael Edwards.

Signing the likes of Sterling would be more of the same - nothing beyond just signing random players who we think are decent and can afford. Utd have been doing the same too and also got nowhere near winning the title.

This approach has lead us to having a midfield and attack made up of players who do not compliment eachother. Carrying on this way will only slow down real progress.

Why Klopp and Michael Edwards have been so clever in the transfer market is because they did not try and rush things along. Instead of looking at and signing random players, Klopp only wants players who fit his system. Only wants players who tick all the technical and physical boxes needed to play for his team, irrespective of price tag. If a player doesn't tick the boxes then they don't sign him and go and look at another player. A very simple but very effective way of building a good team, but one that needs to be given time. I'd rather we go down this road than carry on with the way we've been buying players 

I can’t help but keep thinking that if Klopp were to be at Chelsea during Romans time he would have been sacked by 2nd or max 3rd season. So the thought of us employing Liverpools ways during Roman’s time is unimaginable. Or rather most clubs employing some patience with managers would probably have seen similar benefit. It’s just not due to Liverpool. It’s patience that is missing in football today. 

ROTG   
56 minutes ago, Kezza said:

I can’t help but keep thinking that if Klopp were to be at Chelsea during Romans time he would have been sacked by 2nd or max 3rd season. So the thought of us employing Liverpools ways during Roman’s time is unimaginable. Or rather most clubs employing some patience with managers would probably have seen similar benefit. It’s just not due to Liverpool. It’s patience that is missing in football today. 

Klopp had a free pass at the dippers that’s why he went there. He knew that he would get a minimum of 3 years to start improving thing as they had not been serious title contenders for 30 odd years.

Unlike Chelsea who were winning the title regularly.

1 hour ago, xCELERYx said:

Boehly might like the Liverpool model but that's not something that just gets implemented overnight either, therefore it's not particularly applicable to this current transfer window. More trust is being put in Tuchel and that so far looks like the big driver for this window, signing players Tuchel is requesting. It may not be how it works completely down the line, but again until things are setup properly to run it through a more analytical manner we're going to have to make do with a more standardised approach.  

I'm not suggesting the way you've explained it is wrong, or that I even disagree, it's just not going to happen right now. We're also not in a position to just sit idly by and do nothing either, so we're sort of damned if we do, damned if we don't. 

We can't sort out all the team issues in one or two windows.

Imho, our main expenditure this window has to be defence.  After that, it's finding a classy, creative midfielder. Then, and only then, should we consider spending big money on a replacement for Lukaku. 120m on the likes of Sterling and Richarlison as some sort of stop gap signings is way  too much and would be a waste of the good work we've done in moving on Lukaku 

We need to be patient with the rebuild and all of us need to start being patient  right now, not this time next year or the year after. 

The interesting thing about building long term is are we committing to a back 3? Kounde for example feels like he is being signed specifically to play on the right of a 3. If we switch to a 4 at the back at some stage, is he suddenly not so useful and a bit overpriced? He is quite small for a PL centre half.

xCELERYx   
45 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

We can't sort out all the team issues in one or two windows.

Imho, our main expenditure this window has to be defence.  After that, it's finding a classy, creative midfielder. Then, and only then, should we consider spending big money on a replacement for Lukaku. 120m on the likes of Sterling and Richarlison as some sort of stop gap signings is way  too much and would be a waste of the good work we've done in moving on Lukaku 

We need to be patient with the rebuild and all of us need to start being patient  right now, not this time next year or the year after. 

There's certainly areas which take priority over others like those you mentioned, but Sterling, Richarlison, Dembele, or whoever else aren't coming in as Lukaku replacements. They're coming in to improve on the dismal performances of the likes of Ziyech, Pulsiic, Hudson-Odoi, and to an extent Werner when he's in the wider areas. We're likely to run with Havertz, Werner and Broja at least during pre-season as our strikers. I think some are getting a bit confused about this and think because Lukaku is gone any attacker coming in is taking his position which isn't true. 

Tuchel clearly wants to improve the attack as a whole and there's various reports stating we're open to offers on the names I mentioned before. We cannot, and I can't stress this enough, go into next season with the same attacking group as we've had the last two or three seasons (minus Lukaku obvs). We do that, it's going to be a carbon copy of what we've seen already and ultimately another wasted year. 

We'll still target our greater areas of need but that shouldn't mean abandoning other areas if we're able to get the deals Tuchel and co want done. You have to remember that some of these players may not be available later down the line either, and when you browse the talent pool it's not exactly plump with exciting options. They may not be the cream of the crop but they could also go on to be better than what we have currently and help us get to where we want to be. That's a step in the right direction. We don't have the luxury of just waiting and taking a couple seasons off until we procure the "perfect" player/s. Retaining a Champions League place is important in being able to remain an attractive destination. There's a juggling act to be had and that's something Tuchel and Boehly will have to navigate through until we get our house completely in order.

Since Todd is now, owner, chairman and in charge of transfers, is he going to take over as manager and even play himself up front?

I don't think it's looking good

Not only that Simon Johnson (all things to do with Chelsea), was saying the other night, that the 200 million war chest wasn't in fact that.

it included players Sold,which could mean only 50 million