Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

16 minutes ago, Ham said:

Munich 2012 will never be surpassed but I get your point.

Unbeatable in terms of excitement and never say die attitude to get through the QF, SF and win the final in Bayern's own backyard. But that was a memorable run over 5 games. Beating the two best week to week teams in Europe, managed by the two top managers over 38 games is a greater test.

• Like 1

Odd that Phillips is £45m to City, but Rice would be £150m to us. To me, Rice is the better player, but not 3 times the player…

16 minutes ago, McCreadie said:

Odd that Phillips is £45m to City, but Rice would be £150m to us. To me, Rice is the better player, but not 3 times the player…

The dildonic branch of mathematics.

On 22/06/2022 at 9:56 AM, Martin1905 said:

Can not be over stated enough.

£100m signing sent out on loan 12 months after joining when clearly the manager does not want him.

A very bold move by everyone involved and hopefully a sign that the new owners will allow Tommy the tools to to his job.

In fairness you've only got to look at City and Liverpool to see how clubs should be run, it's not rocket science but most clubs have gone so far away from this since the days of Ferguson and Wenger. Everyone thought the days of managers running football clubs were long gone but it appears that some are now realising of you have the right person in charge it really is best to let them do the job they are paid to do. Even Daniel Levy is doing it.

The premier league has 4 of the top 5 managers in the world and it looks like all 4 clubs are going to allow them to run the team how they see fit. I can see some of the best title races the footballing world has ever seen coming up in the next few years, only downside is Tottenham will be involved.

I don’t want to come across as a ‘know it all’, but I’ve been saying this for ages. Best part of the last 12 years I reckon. It’s been my main criticism of the Roman years, that the management of the club somehow have thought that they’d be better equipped to build a squad rather than the manager who builds a team to perform and who is the man to take all the blame if **** fall apart. 

Basics are always better than over-elaborated bullshit. Sadly, with the money we’ve spent under Roman we should have won a lot more titles if only the men and women in charge were better at their jobs. 

9 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I don’t want to come across as a ‘know it all’, but I’ve been saying this for ages. Best part of the last 12 years I reckon. It’s been my main criticism of the Roman years, that the management of the club somehow have thought that they’d be better equipped to build a squad rather than the manager who builds a team to perform and who is the man to take all the blame if **** fall apart. 

Basics are always better than over-elaborated bullshit. Sadly, with the money we’ve spent under Roman we should have won a lot more titles if only the men and women in charge were better at their jobs. 

Hard to disagree with this.

We've done well - very well even - but we could have done oh so much better.

1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Hard to disagree with this.

We've done well - very well even - but we could have done oh so much better.

1 hour ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Agreed we should have done much better, but I don't think giving the coach full control of transfers is the answer - you can end up saddled with a lot of players ill-suited to a new system when you change coach, and with little resale value.

There has to be a compromise between what the coach wants and what is best for the club long-term. 

Ro61   
1 hour ago, chiswickblue said:

Agreed we should have done much better, but I don't think giving the coach full control of transfers is the answer - you can end up saddled with a lot of players ill-suited to a new system when you change coach, and with little resale value.

There has to be a compromise between what the coach wants and what is best for the club long-term. 

Exactly this.

RDCW   
19 minutes ago, Ro61 said:

Exactly this.

Which is where the Director of Football comes in and is a vital two way conduit between the board and the manager/coach.

xCELERYx   
11 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Massive fan of De Ligt, a proper leader and at only 22 still has so much potential.

I think it will be him AND Kounde though with Sterling/Richarlison and Dembele to come in too.

Be pretty happy with that personally.

De Ligt probably hasn't quite hit the heights that was expected initially, although some of that is probably also down to being in some of weakest Juventus sides since the Delneri era. That said, he's still been Juve's best defender.

Just hard to see it not being a super expensive deal to make happen because of what he cost Juventus initially. 

Kezza   

City been doing good deals. If it had been us it would have been 150-170M for Haaland and Phillips.