Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Blue Rod said:

That we're spending so much effort pursuing Richardson, Dembele and Raphina is a reflection of our current situation. None of them is A+ grade player but still better than any of the attackers we've signed over the past three years. Still it will take seriously good coaching to get us competitive next season

I just hope that we don't ignore midfield while we're pursuing forwards. Because if we do, Tuchel won't last the season. I would have prioritised midfield rebuilding right now.

Then the small matter of defence. There are gaps to fill in the team everywhere you look. I may be alone,  but I'm rather glad that Todd Boehly is bringing in his own management. 

Dembele and Raphina are excellent targets, not sure why that isn’t obvious. I don’t believe we ever had much interest in Richarlison. But Sterling on the left and Dembele/Raphina on the right is all the balance we haven’t had the last 2 years. Havertz needs a big season so we cannot undercook the supply or the support to someone not naturally a 9. But he has all the right attributes to do well in Tuchel’s system given the right environment.

The midfield needs Rice, nothing else. 

A top 4 finish is going to be tough, but it’s all that matters. Get that and the coming season is a rip-roarer. Won’t get it without making moves before season kicks off, fingers crossed for a busy week. 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, KingThistle said:

Dembele and Raphina are excellent targets, not sure why that isn’t obvious. I don’t believe we ever had much interest in Richarlison. But Sterling on the left and Dembele/Raphina on the right is all the balance we haven’t had the last 2 years. Havertz needs a big season so we cannot undercook the supply or the support to someone not naturally a 9. But he has all the right attributes to do well in Tuchel’s system given the right environment.

The midfield needs Rice, nothing else. 

A top 4 finish is going to be tough, but it’s all that matters. Get that and the coming season is a rip-roarer. Won’t get it without making moves before season kicks off, fingers crossed for a busy week. 
 

You sure about that? A big problem we've had is the midfield's ability to progress the ball forward through quick efficient and effect passing. Kovavic has tried to do a bit more of it at times, but outside the pickings are slim - even if you throw Gallagher into the mix he's another ball carrier and not the sorely needed passer we lack. 

Not only does it cripple us going forward far too often, but it massively impacts the trudged nature of our ball movement because we lack someone with the vision and willingness to be more expansive. 

The idea of sitting through another season with our midfield passing backwards or sideways, ignoring runs made ahead, or simply being guilty of butchering attacking phases through under or over hit passes, doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ROTG   
7 hours ago, KingThistle said:

The midfield needs Rice, nothing else.

Is it 01-April?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ROTG   
7 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

We must take into account that our first objective this season is replacement, not improvement. 

No

the squad last season should have achieved +80pts.

In reality only rudi has left the building, therefore replacing him and a midfield upgrade should secure +80pts for the coming season, anything less the coaching and tactics need to be questioned

Blaming the players or lack of players seems to be the easy option.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ROTG said:

No

the squad last season should have achieved +80pts.

In reality only rudi has left the building, therefore replacing him and a midfield upgrade should secure +80pts for the coming season, anything less the coaching and tactics need to be questioned

Blaming the players or lack of players seems to be the easy option.

I think you should really stop questioning the ability of Tuchel , he's proven he knows what he's doing time and again , we played more games , we were the only side who got no Covid related rest , we played our first choice defence , the fulcrum of our attack , five times due to injuries , we had an anchor weighing the side down up front , a misfiring forward line and players without the faintest ability to pass progressively or score in midfield .

Yet we won two cups , got to the final of two others and lost both in on penalties and managed to get third place .

Imagine we had no Tuchel and Boehly appointed Ted Lasso like Leeds did , we'd be screwed. 

Right now Tuchel's our biggest asset. 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, ROTG said:

No

the squad last season should have achieved +80pts.

In reality only rudi has left the building, therefore replacing him and a midfield upgrade should secure +80pts for the coming season, anything less the coaching and tactics need to be questioned

Blaming the players or lack of players seems to be the easy option.

As of now, we're two experienced Cb's and a CF short of what we had last season. No matter what fans thought of Lukaku, that's 3 players down who need replacing before we can even think about strengthening.

Our expected points total and TT's coaching are different matters entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ro61   
21 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Would not touch Ronaldo with a barge pole, and not just because he'd be a terrible fit on the pitch. Getting rid of Lukaku only to bring him in would be disastrously stupid.

Really??.He is a goal scoring machine.Ronaldo can "fit" into any team on the planet,just like Ibrahimovic - fading embers I grant you,but well capable of adding something that the big fat Belgian(bfb)can only dream of.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just having a fully fit James and Chilwell for a whole season would make a huge difference to this team (assuming Chilly hasn't lost anything due to his injury). We need to replace the outgoings and 1 or 2 further additions would be great but I do think people forget that there's a lot of talent already at the club and I refuse to believe if the centre half additions are good enough that a team with Chilwell, James, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Havertz and Sterling will be a bad team. Anything else is a bonus.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RDCW   
4 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Just having a fully fit James and Chilwell for a whole season would make a huge difference to this team (assuming Chilly hasn't lost anything due to his injury). We need to replace the outgoings and 1 or 2 further additions would be great but I do think people forget that there's a lot of talent already at the club and I refuse to believe if the centre half additions are good enough that a team with Chilwell, James, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Havertz and Sterling will be a bad team. Anything else is a bonus.

Imagine a team with both Sterling and Bellotti and the addition of a ball playing midfielder. I think we would have a chance with that team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I refuse to believe if the centre half additions are good enough that a team with Chilwell, James, Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Havertz and Sterling will be a bad team. Anything else is a bonus.

Of course it would't be a bad team but it wont be anywhere near good enough to challenge the top two, which should be the aim in a couple more seasons. Signing players like Sterling and Raphina might slightly improve us in the short-term, but they're  not the level we need to get us to the level to challenge, so I don't see the point in signing them. Sign them and then look to replace them in a year or two is not the smart planning we need.

Edited by boratsbrother

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now