Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

1 hour ago, ROTG said:

No

the squad last season should have achieved +80pts.

In reality only rudi has left the building, therefore replacing him and a midfield upgrade should secure +80pts for the coming season, anything less the coaching and tactics need to be questioned

Blaming the players or lack of players seems to be the easy option.

This is a ridiculous position to take. Why? Because we as a club has not achieved 80 points or more since 2016/17. 

From the squad that achieved that, only Alonso, Azpilicueta and Kante are still here who also played any significant part of that result. RLC and Kennedy were also part of the squad but hardly played. 

Since then we have bought new players for almost 900m EUR with very little to show for it in terms of league performance (best season being last season with 74 points). 

Sure we have won some titles. FIFA Club World Cup, the CL, the EL, the UEFA Super Cup and one FA Cup. But we have underachieved both on the pitch and in the boardroom. Perhaps the change of ownership was an absolute necessity for the club to progress? With the old management the development had been on a downward trajectory for a decade. 

xCELERYx   
53 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Imagine a team with both Sterling and Bellotti and the addition of a ball playing midfielder. I think we would have a chance with that team.

Belotti has agreed to join Monaco unfortunately. . 

5 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

Of course it would't be a bad team but it wont be anywhere near good enough to challenge the top two, which should be the aim in a couple more seasons. Signing players like Sterling and Raphina might slightly improve us in the short-term, but they're  not the level we need to get us to the level to challenge, so I don't see the point in signing them. Sign them and then look to replace them in a year or two is not the smart planning we need.

We do need to finish in the top 4 in the meantime to help pay for this rebuild and attract the best talent. 

You say this like we don't already have a great young core with players like Mount, James and Havertz - the X factor is how good they could be in 2 or 3 years. We are targeting younger players like De Ligt and Kounde if rumours are to be believed. You can't only sign young players though, sometimes you need some experience, leadership and proven ability.

bert19   
2 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

We do need to finish in the top 4 in the meantime to help pay for this rebuild and attract the best talent. 

You say this like we don't already have a great young core with players like Mount, James and Havertz - the X factor is how good they could be in 2 or 3 years. We are targeting younger players like De Ligt and Kounde if rumours are to be believed. You can't only sign young players though, sometimes you need some experience, leadership and proven ability.

I think Rice would be a great addition for his leadership capabilities.  I know all of the sounds from West Ham are "not selling" but we know what their ownership are like.  I wonder what a public £75m bid might do to move things along? 

De Ligt seems to be another one being targeted with his leadership skills in mind as well, but I do agree with you.  A Michael Ballack or Claude Makelele type of character would add a huge amount to this team.  Doesn't seem to be a huge number of those sort of characters about though. 

This thread is comical.

We are going to struggle to make top 4 yet people don't want Sterling, Ronaldo or Neymar.

We have a squad that won the champions League just over a year ago, has won the European Super cup and club world cup, finished third and got to three domestic cup finals, narrowly loosing all three.

It's a young squad that has lost one key player yet now we are going to struggle to make top 4 because of Arsenal and Tottenham 🤣🤣

17 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

This thread is comical.

We are going to struggle to make top 4 yet people don't want Sterling, Ronaldo or Neymar.

We have a squad that won the champions League just over a year ago, has won the European Super cup and club world cup, finished third and got to three domestic cup finals, narrowly loosing all three.

It's a young squad that has lost one key player yet now we are going to struggle to make top 4 because of Arsenal and Tottenham 🤣🤣

100% this.

When noses are being turned up at these players, I keep asking who people actually want us to sign but funnily enough no one has responded to me as yet. Almost like people like to catastrophise and moan. 

ROTG   
3 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Right now Tuchel's our biggest asset. 

Ok with that being the case, one can assume for the coming season you will be giving TT and the team your full support on match day thread

40 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

This thread is comical.

Exactly, I don't understand this worry. If we make several signings based on the rumours we have heard we are going straight into a title fight with City and Liverpool. No doubt about it. 

53 minutes ago, xCELERYx said:

Belotti has agreed to join Monaco unfortunately. . 

That's good news. Right about his level I reckon. Good for him, he'll do well there. 

18 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

100% this.

When noses are being turned up at these players, I keep asking who people actually want us to sign but funnily enough no one has responded to me as yet. Almost like people like to catastrophise and moan. 

I think what people are moaning about is that our squad is in a complete disarray in terms of what qualities our players posses and what they are asked to do out on the field. It's an unbalanced squad, with the midfield being in utter shambles imo and attacking players who are very dependent on a midfield creating chances for them but perhaps need a few too many of them to convert. We lack goals, we lack creativity ion midfield and now we also lack defenders. There is holes everywhere in the squad from the basics (defending) to the cherry on the cake (scoring goals). We are 33 days from our first league game and although the window is open for quite a bit longer, the players we sign need a pre-season and a chance to gel with the rest of the squad. 

Arguably we should have signed 2-3 players by now to be in a good place. 

I don't think it's the quality of the players you mention that people oppose to, it's probably the fact that throwing money on a Ronaldo or Neymar won't really solve our main issues. 

It just feels like there is no strategy for the squad or how it has been composed. 

ROTG   
51 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

This is a ridiculous position to take. Why? Because we as a club has not achieved 80 points or more since 2016/17.

Not at all, the club was second favorites to win the league last season, with most on this forum and in the media, saying Lukaku was the missing piece of the jigsaw

IMO there no more hiding for anyone at the club, by the time the WC break starts the team would have played 16 PL matches and looking at the fixtures you would expect the team to win a minimum of 13 matches.