Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

16 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

And David Ornstein claiming he's spoke to people that have confirmed we are looking at Ronaldo.

Based on a couple of YouTube interviews and podcasts featuring Ben Jacobs yesterday and today...

Priorities are Sterling (v close to being all done this week) and de Ligt (progressing OK... Juve have softened on the price and player wants to come).

Chelsea knew Raphina wanted Barca, due to previously agreed terms, but are still very much in the mix. Only way he goes to Barca is if Barca match the offer we've had accepted by Leeds (which is still possible). Raphina has no problem going to Chelsea... just that Barca would be his preference and he's just waiting to see what develops. Leeds may force the issue as if he does go, they need to get a replacement and they would prefer to work on that sooner rather than later.

Dembélé only has the offer from Barca - roughly 40% reduction of his previous contract - on the table. No other clubs have offered him anything. Chelsea were never going to offer him anything until he was out of contract, which happened Friday, and even then would likely wait a week or two to see what happened.

Koundé remains of interest, but de Ligt is the current priority. Chelsea also not prepared to pay what Seville are asking for, so looking at alternatives (which include Aké)

Said supporters need to be patient given we have roughly £200m to get possibly 6 players. If we spend £65m/£70m on de Ligt and £45m on Sterling and £60m on Raphina, that in theory leaves £25m for the rest (hence why "cheap" options like Nelson Semedo of Wolves are getting mentioned). Hence why deals that seem "straightforward" from the outside are taking a while as every £1m reduced in negotiations now leaves an extra £1m to spend elsewhere later. Some money can be found from sales, but they're not easy due to wages (which is why we're seeing a few more big transfers between PL clubs than normal, as they're the only ones that can afford the likes of Jesus, Richarlison & Sterling).

Regarding Ronaldo... very much seen as interest driven by Todd Boehly and Behdad Eghbali, following a meeting at Mendes' request, far more than Tuchel. If - and it's a huge if - it happened, the money would be found from outside the £200m budget as an "exceptional expense" given the marketing opportunities would help cover the costs to quite an extent (as well as the "statement of intent" it would be seen as in much of the world). However, United don't want to sell, and if they do decide to sell, they will do everything they can to ensure it isn't another PL club.

• Like 1

Kezza   

We should just loan Ronaldo if we’re really looking at signing him. Time for clubs to let us loan their players instead of just us all the time

RDCW   
3 hours ago, Ham said:

Whilst I get that you're being tongue in cheek, I would panic on 1/9 if we were one player short.  Hell I'd panic if we were one short on the first day of the season. 

Regardless of what a shrewd negotiator he is, European chairmen are a law unto themselves. There are alliances that can be used to take advantage. I fear it's already happening.

It would be in a lot of clubs' best interests if we had a disastrous window.  I don't normally get bent out of shape in a window but this one feels very wrong so far. 

I hope I'm wrong.

Getting bent out of shape in a window sounds a bit Amsterdamy to me!

• Haha 1

chara   
11 minutes ago, RDCW said:

Getting bent out of shape in a window sounds a bit Amsterdamy to me!

Especially as Spring has passed....

Ro61   
On 03/07/2022 at 0:48 PM, KingThistle said:

I think that this actually proves the point that Ronaldo wasn’t suited to United - or us - but I think that you didn’t mean to make that intentionally. 

The game has become so Americanised where the stats are the preferred indicator instead of using your eyes. We, us, Chelsea need someone who has all the attributes that Ronaldo doesn’t have or else we need to play an entirely different system with a lot of different players. You can’t just pick up Player X and slot him into Team Y and have the equation balance out.

Ronaldo will score a few goals, take all the pens and maybe grab a hattrick against Forest and we’d finish 6th. It’s a disaster waiting to happen. 

I don't get this logic at all.Ronaldo scores goals wherever he goes,because he is one of the best players of all time.A dedicated athlete that takes care of himself physically.

Granted he is a narcissist,but he knows his worth and can back it up on the pitch.Lukaku is also a narcissist that overrates his worth that can't back it up on the pitch.

I think Ronaldo loves the game and would like to be remembered for his dedication and contribution to be one of the all time greats.

To say he wouldn't "fit in" is a silly comment - like saying Van Gogh is just another Dutch painter.

Ro61   
4 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

There's been many successful businessmen let there businees acumen go flying out the window once they start running football clubs. Football is not like other businesses. Buying and selling humans/footballers is very different from buying and selling a manufactured product. 

Indeed so.You only have to look at Alan Sugar and his dalliance with Spurs.

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Also Alfredo Pedulla, another Italian journalist who has in the past been very reliable saying he wants to come here but Juventus are not interested in any player exchange.

Both DiMarzio and Perdulla breaking this story, after everyone jumping on the Bayern bandwagon, in the last few minutes.

It's happening......

FWIW Pedulla is a bit hit and miss with general Serie A rumours, tends to lean more to knowing AC Milan related news the most.

Also, this is a regurgitated point on his behalf that shouldn't increase his credibility. Juventus have always been interested in cash only, it's been their stance long before this whole transfer saga came to fruition. 

xCELERYx   
4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I am convinced we will see a switch in formation.

A 433 with Kante, Kovacic, Mount, Gallagher playing either side of Jorginho.

Sterling and Raphinha either side of Havertz/Ronaldo.

So much energy and work rate and that's before you even consider Chilwell and James.

And let's be honest Ronaldo is an extremely hard working forward, he's always pressed from the front. He may not be the best at it but he's far from Lukaku's level of lazy.

And he would bring so much more to the team and club than just goals. Everything about him would be worth having around.

Imagine how much Havertz would learn, and he's still very much learning the position, training with him every day.

He is the perfect stop gap and better than any other forward we could or could not sign.

Not that it's a surprise given the man is 37. No one signs Cristiano and is expecting a high pressing forward, and if they are they then I'd be gravely concerned.

ROTG   
9 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

Sacked if we finish on 79 points?

Depends who’s above us?

Oh yes, allegedly spending £200m to increase the teams points total by 5pts Is probably not what Todd & Co expect from that kind of investment. Maybe a cup thrown in will lessen the pain.

ROTG   
7 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

And I'm in the tiny minority I know but I think if we got Ronaldo too it would make us serious challenges for the league.

Championed him last season and was laughed at by many on here who now think he can do a job. 

IMO that ship has sailed with regards to his influence on the park. Commercially shirt sales, and the clubs world media elevation is a no brainier.