Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

10 hours ago, Ham said:

Whilst I get that you're being tongue in cheek, I would panic on 1/9 if we were one player short.  Hell I'd panic if we were one short on the first day of the season. 

Regardless of what a shrewd negotiator he is, European chairmen are a law unto themselves. There are alliances that can be used to take advantage. I fear it's already happening.

It would be in a lot of clubs' best interests if we had a disastrous window.  I don't normally get bent out of shape in a window but this one feels very wrong so far. 

I hope I'm wrong.

I would imagine there's a few who would quite like it if we faded away , like Barca for instance

2 hours ago, ROTG said:

Championed him last season and was laughed at by many on here who now think he can do a job. 

IMO that ship has sailed with regards to his influence on the park. Commercially shirt sales, and the clubs world media elevation is a no brainier. 

Fair chance I was one of those.

To be fair I wouldn't have had him last year as I do not think we were set up for him where as I think we will see a big change this season in the way we line up so see no reason why we couldn't accommodate him now.

As for your second point, I see quite a few people towing this same line which I find rather strange. Before last season no-one knew if he could still cut it at the highest level, the man went on to score 24 goals in 37 games in the Premier league and Champions League. He averaged a goal every 133 minutes. Those stats are outrageous, even more so when you consider he was playing for an utterly shambolic side.

I can understand people having reservations before the start of last season but why now?

Holymoly   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

I would imagine there's a few who would quite like it if we faded away , like Barca for instance

To be honest, the way this transfer window is going they're going to get their wish. What are we down to now, our third or fourth choices per position? To say nothing of pissing off the existing players that were going to be replaced but will instead need to stay put for the start of the season just so we can get a squad together?

paulw66   
21 hours ago, KingThistle said:

We were fortunate to have made top 4 last season by the end of it and only a very good start - and a dip from Arsenal - prevented disaster. As it stands, we are going to struggle.

Utter nonsense.

What was fortunate? We got 76 points, which secures top 4 every single season. Top 3 most seasons. 

22 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I love your optimism, but signing De Ligt, Aké and Sterling won't make us challengers. I can guarantee you that. Not even close. We are 2-3 good years away from genuinely being able to challenge those clubs and that is if we so our homework properly in the market and sign some quality players that fit our style of play and strengthens us. 

Right now, we have; 

------------------------------Mendy

----------------------CB------CB------CB

---------------James--CM--CM--Chilwell

---------------------Mount-----AM

--------------------------------S

4/11 players that can help us mount a serious challenge to City and Liverpool within two years. If we had a team in place now, you could have added Silva and possibly Kanté to that team but they are likely not going to be good enough in two years time. Havertz may develop into such a player over the next few seasons. But it is no guarantee. 

There is a long way to go mate.

If you are going to be that brutal, you could have said a chunk of the 2016/17 side wasn't up to it.

It doesn't work like that. 

It was only a matter of time , Barca are now discussing signing Ronaldo by reports coming in from Spain. 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Mark Kelly said:

It was only a matter of time , Barca are now discussing signing Ronaldo by reports coming in from Spain. 

Like clockwork. They are a joke of a Club. Mes Que Une whatever Chelsea are doing. 

20 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

To be honest, the way this transfer window is going they're going to get their wish. What are we down to now, our third or fourth choices per position? To say nothing of pissing off the existing players that were going to be replaced but will instead need to stay put for the start of the season just so we can get a squad together?

Just curious... who can you confidently say we have missed out on?

It seems to me Sterling was our first choice attacker and by all accounts I'm quite confident of that happening. De Ligt seems to be the primary target for centre half - you could argue that has been Kounde for a while but he is also still available. Reports seem to suggest we have had a bid accepted for Raphinha who is also still available. The only one I can see an argument for is maybe Richarlison but in my opinion the links never seemed as strong and I can't imagine we wanted him as well as Raphinha and Sterling.

10 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

Just curious... who can you confidently say we have missed out on?

It seems to me Sterling was our first choice attacker and by all accounts I'm quite confident of that happening. De Ligt seems to be the primary target for centre half - you could argue that has been Kounde for a while but he is also still available. Reports seem to suggest we have had a bid accepted for Raphinha who is also still available. The only one I can see an argument for is maybe Richarlison but in my opinion the links never seemed as strong and I can't imagine we wanted him as well as Raphinha and Sterling.

Agree with all this. 

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

I can understand people having reservations before the start of last season but why now?

I guess the obvious answer is, did Man Utd improve or go backwards after he signed?

I am not for one minute suggesting it was all on him, but the facts are that United finished 2nd in 2020/21 and 6th in 2021/22 and dropped from 74 to 58 points

The other argument is that if he comes in on silly money, how does that impact our ability to renew James and Mount's contracts, and does it impact our pursuit of other players, like De Ligt, Sterling etc? I don't have the answers to those questions, but they are concerns that would sit with me. 

For the record, from a pure football point of view, I think it would work but am 50/50 on whether it's a thumbs up

xCELERYx   
9 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I guess the obvious answer is, did Man Utd improve or go backwards after he signed?

I am not for one minute suggesting it was all on him, but the facts are that United finished 2nd in 2020/21 and 6th in 2021/22 and dropped from 74 to 58 points

The other argument is that if he comes in on silly money, how does that impact our ability to renew James and Mount's contracts, and does it impact our pursuit of other players, like De Ligt, Sterling etc? I don't have the answers to those questions, but they are concerns that would sit with me. 

For the record, from a pure football point of view, I think it would work but am 50/50 on whether it's a thumbs up

From what it sounds like the possibility of Ronaldo is being put forward by ownership and would be outside the already set aside transfer money. I imagine wages would also be an expense ownership would shoulder as part of making that sort of deal. The notion of his marketability globally would offset a lot of that anyway I imagine, or at least that's how ownership will likely view it. 

Personally, I don't think Ronaldo signing would have great influence on impacting renewing other players, unlike say what we pay a Pulisic or Hudson-Odoi with no previous football substance to warrant it, there's a pretty common understand why someone like Ronaldo would command the sort of money he does. 

For me I'm on the fence. He'd be the "cherry on top" type of addition providing we get the more urgent signings we need done first. Not a must, but if the opportunity does arise then I'm not completely against in. Having seen him at Juventus and then again at Man Utd he's still a top level player in the right side, I suppose the question ends up being if we're that side with how we desire to play.