Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

5 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

He has played as a free 8 in a 4-3-3 at Leverkusen but if you honestly think anyone other than Pep would play a formation that attacking in the PL you're mad.

I don't, and nor does TT. Nor did the managers who had him before he came here.

"I played him on the right, but he is not really a winger."

"He is clearly not a 6, but he can play anywhere in the front"

"Somewhere between an 8 and a 10, he plays centrally but depends on the system".

A bit unfair to say at 9 he is a misused midfielder? Regardless, we still haven't figured out where and how to use him properly and we need to pronto. 9 might just be his best position in TT's side and this could be proved right if the wingers were of standard. Havertz everything Ronaldo isn't for Tuchel and he could score a bucket load with Raphinha and Sterling either side.

Ben Jacobs on Twitter regarding Raphinha

Barcelona no closer to a full agreement with Leeds for Raphinha. Joan Laporta says “no deadline” to complete the deal but Leeds have asked Barca to present latest offer by Thursday. Leeds have already brought in Luis Sinisterra to replace Raphinha and want his future resolved.

I imagine if Barca don't match our offer by then, Leeds may tell Raphinha either go to Chelsea or you stay another season at Leeds

Kezza   
6 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Ben Jacobs on Twitter regarding Raphinha

Barcelona no closer to a full agreement with Leeds for Raphinha. Joan Laporta says “no deadline” to complete the deal but Leeds have asked Barca to present latest offer by Thursday. Leeds have already brought in Luis Sinisterra to replace Raphinha and want his future resolved.

I imagine if Barca don't match our offer by then, Leeds may tell Raphinha either go to Chelsea or you stay another season at Leeds

The fact that Barca says “no deadline” to Leeds while there’s an existing offer on the table from us is disrespectful. I hope Leeds calls their bluff and stops all discussions with Barca. 

40 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Why people get so upset about making a **** ton of money from out youth team players that will likely never be good enough for us is beyond me.

21 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Absolutely spot on.

Not every academy player will be good enough for a spot in the squad. Even fewer will be good enough to be pretty much nailed on starters. There will, however, be plenty of academy players good enough to earn more than a decent living at other clubs, even elevating them from, say, regular relegation strugglers to regular mid-table safety... but that doesn't mean we should keep them for sentimental reasons.

Agreed. Just because they are coming through our academy doesn't make them good enough for the first team. I think there is a mixture of seeing those who have come through in recent years do so well, seeing young players who we have sold (whether our academy players or not) do well elsewhere and opposition fans traditionally criticising us for the "loan army" that is at play in peoples minds, and perhaps just wrongly thinking that if they are associated with Chelsea that automatically makes them quality top tier players. 

There's perhaps a fear we will have another De Bruyne or Salah (not academy players, but same kind of logic) on our hands and people don't want us to look stupid. 

2 minutes ago, Kezza said:

The fact that Barca says “no deadline” to Leeds while there’s an existing offer on the table from us is disrespectful. I hope Leeds calls their bluff and stops all discussions with Barca. 

We shouldn't be waiting and waiting on an average player who's not interested in playing for us. We're a much greater club than he is a player!

13 minutes ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Agreed. Just because they are coming through our academy doesn't make them good enough for the first team. I think there is a mixture of seeing those who have come through in recent years do so well, seeing young players who we have sold (whether our academy players or not) do well elsewhere and opposition fans traditionally criticising us for the "loan army" that is at play in peoples minds, and perhaps just wrongly thinking that if they are associated with Chelsea that automatically makes them quality top tier players. 

There's perhaps a fear we will have another De Bruyne or Salah (not academy players, but same kind of logic) on our hands and people don't want us to look stupid. 

Rumours also doing the rounds that if we sign two CB's Colwill will be off too , one week you're the "New John Terry" the next you're out , replaced by someone who would prefer to go to Barca or Bayern Munich . 

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

Werner scored four goals in the league last year , I don't know how good Broja is , I expect you're probably right but it's a low target to aim to beat , it would be nice if we gave him a chance at least .

The general opinion of a few Southampton fans I've seen on social media seem to suggest his appeal waned pretty quickly. Started well before his work rate and output fell off completely, and was extremely poor during the second half of the season. Supporters went from wanting to sign him on a permanent deal early on, to that interest being dead by the end of the season. He was singled out by Hansenhuettl at one point about not working hard enough off the ball as well.

Far too raw of a player for what we need. Might develop more later down the line, but right now he's too limited, selfish, and goes missing in too many games. If any club seriously dangles £30m in front of us we should be snapping their hand off. 

He's another one of those players that if he had no Chelsea connection and was at another club our interest in him would raise eyebrows.

Ben Jacobs via Twitter on the Nunes rumour…

Told Matheus Nunes to #CFC is little more than rumour at this point. Agent has received absolutely no contact and is unaware of any imminent proposal.

4 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Well, Werner was a goalscorer and my argument with him was always that he should have been played through the middle.

And yes he can be much worse, because he quite simply isn't very good.

It doesn't matter if he plays through the middle or as a wide forward. He will still need 10 sitters to score one goal. His composure is quite frankly one of the worst I've ever seen from a player at this level. That he scored so many in Germany says a lot more about the German league than it says anything about Timo Werner. 

The funny thing is that Werner has looked at his best when played down the left hand side for us. In central positions he's simply not good enough. Poor technique, poor awareness (so runs offside way too often) and a terrible finisher. What he has is work rate.

Personally I think he's a younger version of Dirk Kuyt. Still useful but never in a million years a top quality striker. Hard-working winger, that's it at this level.

bert19   
2 hours ago, Kezza said:

Barca's installments should be a laugh too.  Not only will they be undercutting our offer, they'll be paying about a pound a week until 2523.  I wonder if you can do football transfer fees on Klarna? 

If you're mad enough to take Barca's financial proposals over Chelsea's up front payments at the moment, then good luck to you. 

I'd say the same is probably true of a player signing for them too, there's every chance you'll be on the end of them deciding "you have no future here" and expecting you to rip up your contract/take a massive pay cut to leave for the next few years.