Harvz

Transfer Talk Topic

xCELERYx   
5 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

Going after Sterling and Raphinha suggests Tuchel wants to switch to a 4-3-3.

That might be the longer term but I do think it won't be something that'll be fully action until Thiago Silva moves on and we have another #6 in the side outside of Jorginho. I think we'll still largely play a back three this season, and I wouldn't even be surprised if we do retain it moving forward despite the players we're linked with signing. They're all capable of playing in either system, and given our back three is fluid as it with the capabilities of being a back four system in possession, it gives us greater flexibility anyway. 

DannyLB   
2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

That might be the longer term but I do think it won't be something that'll be fully action until Thiago Silva moves on and we have another #6 in the side outside of Jorginho. I think we'll still largely play a back three this season, and I wouldn't even be surprised if we do retain it moving forward despite the players we're linked with signing. They're all capable of playing in either system, and given our back three is fluid as it with the capabilities of being a back four system in possession, it gives us greater flexibility anyway. 

I would also add that at this moment in time we do not have quality depth at left/right back to support that formation for an entire season. 

ROTG   
6 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

I assume you still don't watch football and just rely on the old wireless to listen to Chelsea games?

Hopefully when I return to the parish next week one of the congregation is going to provide me with a FS which gets all the football games. That said the FS is coming from the states so it might be the other type of football I'll be watching :0)

4 hours ago, DannyLB said:

I would also add that at this moment in time we do not have quality depth at left/right back to support that formation for an entire season. 

Well we certainly don't have any depth at centre half to play a back 5.

Be amazed if we play anything other than a back 4 next season. Even if we sign De Ligt and Ake that just about gives us enough to play with a 4.

paulw66   
11 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Be amazed if we play anything other than a back 4 next season. Even if we sign De Ligt and Ake that just about gives us enough to play with a 4.

Not sure I agree entirely 

If you play a 3 or a 5 whatever you want to call it, Azpi or James become rcb options but neither would play cb in a 4

Playing Silva in a 3 probably takes less toll on him too

Edited by paulw66

paulw66   

Looks like Sterling joins today, according to Fabrizio 

8 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

If we really want him we should just blow them away with a bid that they are not willing to match. I mean, Juventus will probably want at least what they paid for him and he's worth every penny. It sounds like he would be willing to come here, depending on who you believe he may even prefer to come here so just go in hard and get it done!!

According to reports I've seen that's exactly what we've done. De Ligt is also reportedly impressed with Tuchel's coaching of defenders - Rudiger went from surplus to requirements to one of the best in the league. So I expect it will all come down to whether Juve can get 2 centre halves they are happy with for that money we've offer or if they value him so highly that no reasonable amount will get him.

1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

If you play a 3 or a 5 whatever you want to call it, Azpi or James become rcb options but neither would play cb in a 4

I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the new season. How will Tuchel chose to structure the team? 

With Sterling seemingly joining, the squad as is currently looks like this;

Goalkeepers: Mendy, Arrizabalaga, Bettinelli

Defense: James, Azpilicueta, T Silva, Chalobah, Sarr, Ampadu, Colvill, Chilwell, Alonso, Emerson, Kenedy

Midfield: Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek, Gilmour, Barkley

Attacking midfield: Mount, Sterling, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Anjorin

Strikers: Havertz, Werner

Defense:

Ideally, we sign at least one more CB (let's assume De Ligt). If we do, I think our defense is sorted for a 3-4-3 set-up;

RWB: James, Azpilicueta

CB: Silva, De Ligt, Chalobah, Azpilicueta, Sarr/Ampadu/Colwill

LWB: Chilwell, Emerson

But this means our 4th CB is either James or Azpilicueta and our 5th CB is Sarr/Ampadu/Colwill. It's a little bit thin, but probably manageable. 

If we want to play a 433, I reckon we need two new CBs (De Ligt and another);

RB: James, Azpilicueta

CB: T Silva, De Ligt, New CB, Chalobah, Sarr/Ampadu/Colwill

LB: Chilwell, Emerson

This is the area with most question marks around it I reckon. We will most likely see Alonso and Kenedy leave permanently. Sarr, Colwill or Ampadu out on loan. 

Midfield: 

Regardless of what formation Tuchel goes with, I reckon one of Loftus-Cheek or Barkley will stay. Ditto Gallagher and Gilmour. I'd structure the midfield like so;

Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek

If we are playing a 433 I reckon Mount would drop down to midfield quite often effectively making this a group of 6 players.

I'd try my best to get Barkley off the books permanently (contract until summer 2023). Let him leave for a nominal fee (Newcastle, return to Everton?) just to get his salary off the books. Gilmour out on a Championship loan - if he's supposed to stay in the PL we ought to think a bit harder on where he goes. 

Attacking midfield: 

In attacking midfield I firmly expect Ziyech to leave. The intensity and speed in the PL is too much for him to really excel. Depending on what formation we are planning to use, perhaps there is a place for Anjorin? If we are using 433 a lot, then I expect Mount to drop down to midfield making this a group of 5 + Havertz as the central focal point in attack. 

Mount, Sterling, Pulisic, Werner, Hudson-Odoi, Anjorin

Strikers:

Havertz with both Werner and Sterling being back-ups

Ideally we sign a recognized striker but there aren't many good options out there on the market. 

So, for a 433 to work we need Sterling plus two CBs

To continue with the 343 we need Sterling and one CB

Then we have the potential work with Arrizabalaga and signing a new GK2. 

So to sum up for a 433 (my preferred formation):

GK: Mendy, GK2, Bettinelli

RB: James, Azpilicueta

CB: De Ligt, Koundé, Silva, Chalobah, Colwill

LB: Chilwell, Emerson

CM: Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek

AM: Mount, Sterling, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Anjorin

S: Havertz, Werner

In: GK2, De Ligt, Koundé, Sterling

Out: Arrizabalaga, Kenedy, Alonso, Barkley, Ziyech, Rüdiger, Christensen

Loan: Sarr, Gilmour, Ampadu

This would send us away in a fairly ok fashion. Not good enough to challenge City or Liverpool just yet, but good enough to be competing in the top 4 and challenge in cups. Then we may look to add key pieces in central midfield, an additional winger and a striker summer 2023. That would potentially make us ready to challenge City and Liverpool for the 23/24 season.

Edited by Sleeping Dave

5 minutes ago, Sleeping Dave said:

I think this is one of the most interesting aspects of the new season. How will Tuchel chose to structure the team? 

With Sterling seemingly joining, the squad as is currently looks like this;

Goalkeepers: Mendy, Arrizabalaga, Bettinelli

Defense: James, Azpilicueta, T Silva, Chalobah, Sarr, Ampadu, Chilwell, Alonso, Emerson, Kenedy

Midfield: Kanté, Jorginho, Kovacic, Gallagher, Loftus-Cheek, Gilmour, Barkley

Attacking midfield: Mount, Sterling, Pulisic, Hudson-Odoi, Ziyech, Anjorin

Strikers: Havertz, Werner

Snipped for brevity, Don't forget we have Levi Colwill back in defence , a very good CB if we don't sell him like we did Tomori and Guehi that is. 

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

James on paper maybe but he's played there twice for Tuchel and him playing there changes the entire dynamic of our right hand side and not in a good way.

I don't think he should be considered anything other than a full back going forward.

I also think Chalobah may well be used as an alternative to Jorginho but maybe that's because I can't see anything other than a change in formation so I'm looking at this pretty blinkered. I just think that everything, literally everything from the players we have and those coming back from loan to the players we are linked with points to a change.