CFCnet Admin

Khobar's Legacy

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

When we were struggling to score enough goals against Everton and Wolves without Lukaku, Werner, CHO and Havertz, a few people on here used that as an example of how we are inferior to Liverpool, as we don't score enough.

Well, take 4 forwards out of any team (or 2 in this example) and of course, it makes a massive difference. 

Liverpool have been incredibly lucky that those two are never injured. Look at the number of league games they have played since signing:

Mane, 27, 29, 36, 35, 35, 20*

Salah 36, 38, 34, 37, 20*

* 20 out of 20 so far this season.

Salah has missed 7 league games in 4.5 seasons. 

I was one who said we weren't as good as Liverpool. I actually stand by that (and as an originator of this topic it causes me extreme pain to say I think they are better than us), but there is no doubt that they are not the same side without their 2 first choice front men.

 

The difference between them and us is that none of our front men is prolific, so we are not as affected by the absence of our forwards as they are. I think that once Salah and Mane return the scum will overhaul us in the league. I'd love it if I were wrong! I loathe that club with an irrational emotional intensity.

Edited by RDC Williams

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
paulw66   
1 hour ago, RDC Williams said:

I was one who said we weren't as good as Liverpool. I actually stand by that (and as an originator of this topic it causes me extreme pain to say I think they are better than us), but there is no doubt that they are not the same side without their 2 first choice front men.

 

The difference between them and us is that none of our front men is prolific, so we are not as affected by the absence of our forwards as they are. I think that once Salah and Mane return the scum will overhaul us in the league. I'd love it if I were wrong! I loathe that club with an irrational emotional intensity.

I understand what you are saying, but there are two ways to look at the "strength" of a team.

1. How good is the first XI (or thereabouts)

2. How good / deep is the squad.

On point 1, they arguably ahead purely because their forwards are that much more clinical. I would say from GK, DEF to MID, we probably shade it, but not much in it. 

On point 2, we are miles ahead. If you analyse players 15-25, we are much, much stronger. This actually worked against us, as we weren't allowed to call off our game, but of course, Liverpool were allowed. 

If Salah missed a significant chunk of the remainder of the season, they would be half the team. I don't think we are anywhere near as beholden to one player like they are.

 

Edited by paulw66

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I understand what you are saying, but there are two ways to look at the "strength" of a team.

1. How good is the first XI (or thereabouts)

2. How good / deep is the squad.

On point 1, they arguably ahead purely because their forwards are that much more clinical. I would say from GK, DEF to MID, we probably shade it, but not much in it. 

On point 2, we are miles ahead. If you analyse players 15-25, we are much, much stronger. This actually worked against us, as we weren't allowed to call off our game, but of course, Liverpool were allowed. 

If Salah missed a significant chunk of the remainder of the season, they would be half the team. I don't think we are anywhere near as beholden to one player like they are.

 

There is no doubt that we have improved as a cohesive unit and we often look very slick (sometimes in a totally different league), but our lack of prolific goal scorers is costing us points. I just wish we had someone whom we would miss as much as they miss Salah, or indeed Mane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we have a better defensive unit and midfield for that matter, its just their forwards who are better as  a unit than any of our combinations

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Liverpool have been incredibly lucky that those two are never injured. Look at the number of league games they have played since signing:

Mane, 27, 29, 36, 35, 35, 20*

Salah 36, 38, 34, 37, 20*

* 20 out of 20 so far this season.

Salah has missed 7 league games in 4.5 seasons. 

That's insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
47 minutes ago, Ham said:

That's insane.

I can't remember the figures but SFL went forever before pulling out of a game..Citeh if I remember but... doing something in the pre game warm up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And just like that...the bbc is now banging the Liverpool drum...in comes ex player Danny Murphy to loudly proclaim its a two horse race and liverpool have the ability to go long unbeaten..blah blah...what they wanted all along...City need to win 11 top win the title...I'm counting them down

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now