Bridgejunky

Official: Cesc Fabregas Departs For Monaco

I don't post very often, but I'd be really interested to hear what you thought Fab did well on Saturday? I thought his harrying of their midfielders was decent but he got bypassed a few times and when he could have made a difference in possession, his passing, surely his best attribute, was atrocious.

No I thought his passing was excellent, and one or two miss-passes seems to have convinced many that they prejudices were right. He is a high risk passer, trying to set up opportunities, not play keep-ball.

If you mean he got beaten when making a challenge - that is what happens. The real concern is when no challenge or no shielding or no presence is shown at all.

xCELERYx   

Yes but that system we played at the start of the season only lasted until teams sussed out how to play against it and we had to change it. If a player can only perform in one system then they become surplus to requirements surely.

Yes, but our method of changing it was to revert to something completely different instead of tinkering to maintain the same balance we already had. We shut up shop. Obviously we did this to hold onto what we had already established, but we've maintained that approach since.

The easiest way to make that extra freedom for someone like Fabregas is to remove the #10 role altogether and move that player back into a regular midfield position. As it stands now, our #10 is used as a defensive worker who's main role is to press, track back and defend. Opposed to how the position should be played with being the creative link between midfield and attack, with the freedom to find pockets of space between the lines to create. Little emphasis on defending outside of a forward press. We literally play with a defensive attacking mid. Biggest waste of a position and a player as I've ever seen in football. Why Mourinho persists, I have genuinely no idea. There is no benefit to the role. Because half the time when you need that link, that player isn't available because they're out of position due to the defensive duties being asked.

Three man midfield means an extra body for opposition to monitor. Fabregas could keep his freer role to create and his defensive duties would be spread between the other two CM's. Fabregas would fill the pockets of space between defence and midfield, sometimes drifting a little further forward, sometimes back collecting the ball from the CB's. One of the extra CM's then plugs the gap to maintain the balance. If the opposition man mark him, as teams tried to do with Pirlo. Let them and move to plan B. Play more direct, through the other CM's or wider players, even allow the defenders to look at playing more direct passes from front to back and bypass the midfield. Using the CF to win the ball and the two other wide attacking players to play off him.

If you've seen the Milan, Juve and Italy sides that utilised Pirlo, you'll know what I mean.

Sea foot   

I know what you mean, but we don't play that kind of football. Mourinho has his preferred way of playing and if Cesc can't play in that system then, as I said, he becomes surplus to requirements.

How many times has someone put a name forward in the transfer market only to have many posts pointing out that he is not a Chelsea type player? Well, Fab is one of those types of players. Good as he is, he doesn't fit with what JM wants.

Just my opinion, from someone who hasn't played football since the age of nineteen or has a badge in coaching or bets on games. What do I know?

Just my opinion, from someone who hasn't played football since the age of nineteen or has a badge in coaching or bets on games. What do I know?

Aah but how many hours a week do you watch Italian, Serbian and Romanian football?

GURJ SS   

Fabregas has a similar style to Pirlo, but doesn't have the same quality, which becomes a major issue in accommodating him. Pirlo was also able to play in a high intensity match, teams tried to stop him, hell England put a pacey Sterling on him, and still Pirlo managed to take everyone to school. Fabregas doesn't have the elusiveness or intelligence off the ball to get into the correct positions to receive the right pass, but that isn't me putting Fabregas down, because Pirlo in my opinion is the best ever at doing that. But Fabregas isn't that type of player, he is a false number 9 playing as a playmaker, he can give small 5 yard clever passes but he isn't a Xavi Alonso or Toni Kroos.

Fabregas may well be a high risk passer, but Oscar is criticised more for losing the ball in less dangerous positions. Oscar is a risk taker in trying to get a 1-2 or flick on, but he does it in the final third, Fabregas gives away possession when we have too many players on the wrong side of the ball.

A better way of looking at it is, when we had Ballack and Lampard we had 2 players who were able to play short, long, score, protect the defence and also provide genuine presence in the air. When we needed to counter they picked the right pass, when a team was stubborn(sitting back) against us they were able to do what Fabregas can do, when all else failed they were a battering ram. We have gone from having the right type of players to looking at how to use the wrong type of players; even if it means sacrificing and holding back other players.

Edited by GURJ SS

GURJ SS   

I agree, it would still mean investing in a couple of quality players. But we should have done that this summer, regardless. Now we'll have to go and find two to bring in at once. Though, Matic in a three man midfield would be more productive than being wedged into a role that isn't ideal for him either.

Fabregas/Matic/Ball-Winner would still be a solid midfield, given Matic can do a bit up both ends. Bring in another quality creative player and it provides even more options.

As much as I like Verratti, I get the feeling it wouldn't take long for people on here to get on his back about his diminutive stature. He's not someone that comes under extensive midfield pressure in France because of how strong PSG are and how weak the rest of the league is. That would definitely change in England.

I think we chased after Stones for far too long, the likes of Pogba and Verratti should have been our primary targets. Expensive targets yes, but we needed one of them and fast.

I agree with Matic being used more box to box, he can use his power to our advantage, at the moment teams can just play around his presence in midfield, due to the system being so rigid. As a short term solution your system would certainly improve things, but the ball winner would have to be a box to box player who is also able to score. Again a very expensive player, but still a much needed one.

I think Verratti would be fine in the prem, he certainly showed that he could get stuck in against us. What Verratti is at least able to do is make an opponent turn back, pass sideways or backwards and also slow an attack down. His mobility gives him the edge and he isn't afraid of a physical battle(because he can bring something to the table), that would be an upgrade on Fabregas.

GURJ SS   

He is what he is, some people are having a pop at him for not being something else.

I don't think anyone is having a pop, but more highlighting why they think Fabregas isn't a Chelsea type of player. Compare Fabregas to the past players who made it in the same position he plays, and then the ones who didn't quite make it, he falls into the latter.

No I thought his passing was excellent, and one or two miss-passes seems to have convinced many that they prejudices were right. He is a high risk passer, trying to set up opportunities, not play keep-ball.

If you mean he got beaten when making a challenge - that is what happens. The real concern is when no challenge or no shielding or no presence is shown at all.

73% pass completion rate and only 39 completed passes. Excellent is hardly a word anyone should use to describe Fabregas performance on Sunday.

Regarding the second bit. You've officially lost it. Wen Matic gets beaten wen he challenges you make up some ridiculous referee comparison. When Fabregas does exactly the same its fine? Hard to take you serious these days to be perfectly honest.

Dale86   

73% pass completion rate and only 39 completed passes. Excellent is hardly a word anyone should use to describe Fabregas performance on Sunday.

Regarding the second bit. You've officially lost it. Wen Matic gets beaten wen he challenges you make up some ridiculous referee comparison. When Fabregas does exactly the same its fine? Hard to take you serious these days to be perfectly honest.

Cheers for the stats. I've been looking for them but most of my searches were bringing up results for the team or players over the season so far! His passing was terrible, even some of the 3 metre sideways passes he tried didn't come off. He also took at least one free kick (and maybe a corner) after Willian was subbed, and neither beat the first man.

I agree with the second bit, when I said he was bypassed, what I meant was he tried to get near the ball, didn't make a challenge/tackle because he wasn't close enough and the spurs players passed it around him, leaving him 15-20 metres behind the play.

Cheers for the stats. I've been looking for them but most of my searches were bringing up results for the team or players over the season so far! His passing was terrible, even some of the 3 metre sideways passes he tried didn't come off. He also took at least one free kick (and maybe a corner) after Willian was subbed, and neither beat the first man.

I agree with the second bit, when I said he was bypassed, what I meant was he tried to get near the ball, didn't make a challenge/tackle because he wasn't close enough and the spurs players passed it around him, leaving him 15-20 metres behind the play.

Your second bit - typical Cesc Fabregas. It was easy to look beyond that when he had two assists every three games played. When he's got one assist in ten he becomes a liability with no upside. At this time the worst player we have in our starting XI (including Brana). How he's still playing almost every game is scandalous and something Jose does deserve criticism for.