Sir

Squad Status: 2022/23 Season

Recommended Posts

Bison   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

I'd be happy with that. Unlikely to get anyone better on a temporary basis 

As a stopgap, we could do an awful lot worse...which is why I'm worried. I know McLachlan will be trying his hardest to get the worst possible player available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Bison said:

As a stopgap, we could do an awful lot worse...which is why I'm worried. I know McLachlan will be trying his hardest to get the worst possible player available. 

McLachlan's record is excellent - apart from 17/18 when all the players came from Serie A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a general question going out there : what exactly do forum members think we need (as in players) to mount a credible challenge to City and Liverpool? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kennypaul said:

Just a general question going out there : what exactly do forum members think we need (as in players) to mount a credible challenge to City and Liverpool? 

We have problems everywhere except in goal.

Some are of our own making. We started this season with four defenders - all regular starters - in their final year of contract. At least one will need replacing. We also need to get proper cover for our first choice wing-backs. So that's at least three defenders for starters.

In midfield we need someone, like a Fabregas, who has the vision sorely lacking in our current three. With Gallagher returning from loan we would then have 5 strong options.

Up front seems a mess, but with all the other problems - and taking into account we've already spent £300m over the last few years on attacking players - we just have to hope that something clicks next season, otherwise it requires a big clear-out of big ticket items on high wages and finding replacements who we can but hope do better. Maybe one can be sold this summer (Ziyech? Pulisic?) without the need for an immediate replacement. Perhaps integrate Broja, who we own, to keep costs down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, kennypaul said:

Just a general question going out there : what exactly do forum members think we need (as in players) to mount a credible challenge to City and Liverpool? 

I think we sorely lack a credible central midfielder that can score and create. Been our problem since Fabregas left… we also need to rebuild our defense. Rudiger likely to leave, ditto Azpilicueta. Who knows what Christensens plans are and Sarr is not likely to be a first choice option. 

Then we have our attackers. Pulisic, Lukaku, Werner, Ziyech and Havertz all have question marks regarding their consistency. In patches they can be good but I’m yet to see anyone of them perform over a season or even a long stretch of games. 

City and Liverpool have set the bar high. We are still quite some distance away and at the moment on par for a 74 point season. 16 points from what some think this team should see as par and only 8 points more than what Lampard achieved in 2019/20 and 7 points more than last season with arguably a lot stronger team (and money spent). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's quite a complex question.

Are we playing wing backs with three centre halves because the centre halves can't cope in a two ? 

We generally play better with Jorginho but he's flimsy in the tackle and cannot run so we then have to pad the midfield with two more mobile players who sadly have limited attacking potential . 

So that's an extra defender and , two extra midfielders compensating for the lack of ability / physical attributions in their areas.

We are also having to compensate for Alonso's pitiful lack of pace , he's trying hard but it is what it is , he's incapable of the sprints required at this level 

So we have a defence with an extra person and two midfielders protecting two players with the basic inability to cover the ground required .

Then we come to the attacking midfielders , Pulisic and CHO I think have really tried to help the defence out as best they can but in doing so it impacts on their ability to attack as you cannot be in two places at once and Pulisic despite some really sterling efforts appears to be on another wavelength to Alonso , the pair of them together is torturous to experience .

We also have a system in place where Werner is charged with making space for his partners and in doing so is often out of position when needed 

Lukaku has no interest in playing for Chelsea and in my opinion is pretending to join in , nobody is that piss poor unless they're pretending not to be able to run , jump or shoot. 

my conclusion is , we will be a better prospect once Chilwell returns and if it was me I'd be selling Jorginho who I do like whilst we can get top dollar for him as his stock is high and replace him with a player who can run , tackle and pass .  And swap Lukaku for a footballer , any footballer who wants to be here would suffice . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
3 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

We have problems everywhere except in goal.

Some are of our own making. We started this season with four defenders - all regular starters - in their final year of contract. At least one will need replacing. We also need to get proper cover for our first choice wing-backs. So that's at least three defenders for starters.

In midfield we need someone, like a Fabregas, who has the vision sorely lacking in our current three. With Gallagher returning from loan we would then have 5 strong options.

Up front seems a mess, but with all the other problems - and taking into account we've already spent £300m over the last few years on attacking players - we just have to hope that something clicks next season, otherwise it requires a big clear-out of big ticket items on high wages and finding replacements who we can but hope do better. Maybe one can be sold this summer (Ziyech? Pulisic?) without the need for an immediate replacement. Perhaps integrate Broja, who we own, to keep costs down?

As good an analysis as any.

Now....a thought from me that I am sure will bring a reaction..which is not why I am suggesting it...

_....everywhere except in goal".......I really like Mendy his contribution and his approach to the position..the " They shall not pass..even if I get hurt..: attitude...... for whatever reason..and I hope I am wrong..I am somewhat nervous that there may be a tail off in his contribution as we go forward... 

To sum up I think we just may finish up with two different type of keepers both a little above average over a season..not a disaster but not PC in his prime or TC when he bothered at Chelsea.

Not written to get a response just a gut feeling that may just be that.

Although waaay past expiration date I am still a member of the Goal Keepers Union and do not attack or criticise keepers just for the sake of it.

(There is a very good article somewhere in The Guardian archives covering the " Keepers Union" phenomena for those who care for some insight.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2022 at 5:41 AM, kennypaul said:

Just a general question going out there : what exactly do forum members think we need (as in players) to mount a credible challenge to City and Liverpool? 

We are more than mounting a credible challenge to Liverpool.
Mounting a credible challenge to Man City my not be feasible on a balanced budget.
But Abu Dhabi seems to be having problems at the moment - perhaps the result will be a balanced budget for City.

 

27 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Kennedy added to our PL squad, currently without a squad number.

Sounds unlikely.  I know he is training at Cobham, but can't find any Squad news, and I thought squads get changed at end month.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now