Sir

Squad Status: 2022/23 Season

paulw66   

Why is the Injury thread closed?

Reece James out running today. Desperately need him back. 

chara   

OK....jump forward to the start of say 25/26 season in an optimistic time machine.....

The present squad....Mendy* Kepa* Dave Silva Rudi Jorgi Kova* Alonso Lukaku RLC* CHO* Kante Ziyech Werner*Saul Barckley will all be long gone.(.* are probably.)..(RLC will possibly still be on the edge of coming good)..Mount James Chillwell Havertz* Chalobah plus loan returnees and any youngsters on the brink now will hopefully be a core presence maybe Pulisic but I believe he will be gone after (If not before) next season. So from this Summer it is time for Chelsea to start a serious rebuild to replace the listed players to enable..hopefully TT ...to develop a "SIDE". The question is who is out there worth a long term punt rather than a "Lukaku" name purchase.

Will that happen?....in 3 seasons will Chelsea look like a juggernaut ?...or will it be the present type set up rinse and repeat?

The actuary statistics are beginning to lean on me and maybe looking that far ahead is somewhat over optimistic on my part but I would at least wish to see real steps to get Chelsea truly competitive over a season rather than glorious victories (and disastrous defeats) on an individual match/opponent basis and forever 2/3/4 place battlers.

Apologies for any names missed from both lists but you get my point I hope...... 

Perhaps only look beyond this summer. Almost definitely the following will be gone;

Rudiger, Azpilicueta, Christensen, Saul. 

Kante, Jorginho, Alonso, Barkley and Silva are entering the last 12 months of their deals. That’s a potential 6 starters who’s future are up in the air. We are definitely in for a defensive rebuild and I’d sell one of Kante/Jorginho while prolonging the other. Personally I’d keep Kante and sell Jorginho. 

We are looking for (minimum):

1 RWB/RB, 1 LWB/LB, 2 CBs, 1 CM

When it comes to our attacking players I’m not sure where to start. We do not have a striker (still after €155m spent), we do not have a consistent attacking mid (still four prospects in Pulisic, CHO, Mount and Havertz). 

I feel we will have to sign at least one striker and one attacking mid on top of restructuring the defense. Despite us spending a truck load of money lately we are still 6-7 signings away. It’s depressing. 

Kenedy registered with PL and UEFA as part of the squad (Lewis Baker removed following his permanent transfer)

Number 23 shirt

Currently we have Rudiger, Christensen and Azpilicuetta out of contract in the summer... so if nothing happens soon, in the summer our CBs will be Silva, Chalobah and Sarr.

Entering their final year next season will be Alonso (31), Kanté (30), Jorginho (30) and Bettinelli... oh, and Thiago Silva, again. I'm not too fussed about Barkley and Kenedy who will also be entering their final year.

Our seven attackers - five of whom cost us just north of £300m - have between them made 173 appearances so far this season, in all competitions, for a return of 38 goals.

I think we may be in for a busy summer putting right some of the mistakes of the last two summers.

• Like 1

paulw66   
39 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Currently we have Rudiger, Christensen and Azpilicuetta out of contract in the summer... so if nothing happens soon, in the summer our CBs will be Silva, Chalobah and Sarr.

For no justifiable reason, I don't think all 3 of those will leave. 

I also think the club will sell one of Jorginho and Kante this summer. 

32 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

For no justifiable reason, I don't think all 3 of those will leave. 

I also think the club will sell one of Jorginho and Kante this summer. 

I think we can "sacrifice" Christensen if we must but I love Azpillicueta and think we should just give him what he wants as a thankyou for all he's helped us achieve over the years , players like him are a rarity and should be cherished , even if it means he plays less and less . Rudiger is a warrior and Goodness knows we need more of them.

Also , Jorginho's stock couldn't be higher at the moment and even though I still feel we play better with him than without him his lack of physicality dictates how we have to play to accommodate his foibles so he'd be the one to sell I think , unless PSG want Kante desperately .

Agree with both the above comments.

Based on absolutely no logical reason whatsoever other than just 'gut feeling', I think Rudiger and Azpi will stay. I don't think we'll be specifically looking to offload either Kanté or Jorginho, but if a good offer came in for either, I think we'd probably take it; especially if we bring in another midfielder on top of Conor Gallagher potentially returning.

Nonetheless, those in charge of player recruitment and sales are going to be busy.

paulw66   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

Agree with both the above comments.

Based on absolutely no logical reason whatsoever other than just 'gut feeling', I think Rudiger and Azpi will stay. I don't think we'll be specifically looking to offload either Kanté or Jorginho, but if a good offer came in for either, I think we'd probably take it; especially if we bring in another midfielder on top of Conor Gallagher potentially returning.

Nonetheless, those in charge of player recruitment and sales are going to be busy.

Gallagher, and or Rice / Tchouameni (all the vowels there!)......... personally, I would think long and hard about Kante. Brilliant player but he is available less and less often. 

paulw66   

Wasn't sure where to put this, but those players who are unvaccinated will become clear when we travel to Lille, as France have banned the unclean from travel to France from the UK

Bit of a farce really; if they can prove they are negative for COVID, how do they pose a risk? Good old Macron.