Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

51 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Not true. His shot stopping stats under Sarri were worse than under SFL. 

Not how that data looks to me.  The shot stopping percentile (I couldn't find a score - percentile is equivalent to position amongst peers) seems higher under Sarri.  Not great under either but not awful.  That is my quick reading.

Edit - I did find a score - and his score is better under Sarri than Lampard, -0.16 vs -0.13.  Though this too appears relative to the mean, so it doesn't really make a direct year to year comparison.

10 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

He's the worst PL keeper over the last three seasons

and certainly not the worst - which is what I replied to - that would imply a percentile of 0.
And of course in many respects other than shot stopping he did well.  

Most curious was this:

image.thumb.png.6528ae235939b21d0e191911eac831f4.png

Which is pretty much what I and others have been saying for some time.  The save ratio of all Lampard's keepers is low because the method of defending results in fewer shots but from closer to the goal.

20 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Massively overpriced

Yes - I tend to offset the fee by using the money the club got for big nose. 

£37m (72 - 35 for BN) for kepa is still a lot but not as bad as saying £72m :0)

Edited by RobertoftheGiz
not sure how long I can juggle these books

20 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Not how that data looks to me.  The shot stopping percentile (I couldn't find a score - percentile is equivalent to position amongst peers) seems higher under Sarri.  Not great under either but not awful.  That is my quick reading.

Edit - I did find a score - and his score is better under Sarri than Lampard, -0.16 vs -0.13.  Though this too appears relative to the mean, so it doesn't really make a direct year to year comparison.

and certainly not the worst - which is what I replied to - that would imply a percentile of 0.
And of course in many respects other than shot stopping he did well.  

Most curious was this:

image.thumb.png.6528ae235939b21d0e191911eac831f4.png

Which is pretty much what I and others have been saying for some time.  The save ratio of all Lampard's keepers is low because the method of defending results in fewer shots but from closer to the goal.

The problem is that stat does take into consideration the difficulty of shots faced, which, as you indicate, increased significantly under SFL. If you apply that to his shot stats it means his first season was worse than his second as the shot/save ratio is only done on 'pure' numbers.

Well, it depends on what you mean by 'certainly not the worst'. This is where some context needs to come in. Kepa plays for Chelsea. This means he less exposed than some of those other GK's, even at the worst moments of SFL's time here. Therefore, it is a bit of a misdemeanor to completely rely on the comparisons. 

In his first season the only GK's he beat out were:

1) A washed up Joe Hart at Burnley (who was essentially Burnley's GK3 behind Pope and Heaton and only played 19 games as they were injured),

2) Begovic our former GK2, who was also sent to ******* Qarabag in Azerbaijan at the end of that season owing to his performances. Let's also not forget that hewas at Bournemouth who always were even more wide open at the back than us.

3) Lossl in a very poor Huddersfield team who were probably the worst PL team in the last five years.

So, in his 'better' first season, he beat out a GK3, a former GK2 who was sent to Azerbaijan and that season's whipping boys' GK. 

If anyone cares to read that article, what they will find is as follows: 

1) Every season he has played he has conceded more goals that he statistically should have. 

2) He has a numerous of flaws to his game that are highly questionable and have been continually repeated over a significant time period (3+ years.)

3) In his 'wonderful' Europa League run, he ranked 35th out of 53 GK's, despite playing on the team who won the competition. 

4) He has no discernable strengths to his game.

1 hour ago, King Kante said:

The problem is that stat does take into consideration the difficulty of shots faced, which, as you indicate, increased significantly under SFL. If you apply that to his shot stats it means his first season was worse than his second as the shot/save ratio is only done on 'pure' numbers.

Well, it depends on what you mean by 'certainly not the worst'. This is where some context needs to come in. Kepa plays for Chelsea. This means he less exposed than some of those other GK's, even at the worst moments of SFL's time here. Therefore, it is a bit of a misdemeanor to completely rely on the comparisons. 

In his first season the only GK's he beat out were:

1) A washed up Joe Hart at Burnley (who was essentially Burnley's GK3 behind Pope and Heaton and only played 19 games as they were injured),

2) Begovic our former GK2, who was also sent to ******* Qarabag in Azerbaijan at the end of that season owing to his performances. Let's also not forget that hewas at Bournemouth who always were even more wide open at the back than us.

3) Lossl in a very poor Huddersfield team who were probably the worst PL team in the last five years.

So, in his 'better' first season, he beat out a GK3, a former GK2 who was sent to Azerbaijan and that season's whipping boys' GK. 

If anyone cares to read that article, what they will find is as follows: 

1) Every season he has played he has conceded more goals that he statistically should have. 

2) He has a numerous of flaws to his game that are highly questionable and have been continually repeated over a significant time period (3+ years.)

3) In his 'wonderful' Europa League run, he ranked 35th out of 53 GK's, despite playing on the team who won the competition. 

4) He has no discernable strengths to his game.

I really wouldn’t bother trying to paint this picture to Droy. He’s made up his mind and there is nothing you say that can change his mind or even make him reconsider his stance. 

The majority of fans know how bad Kepa is. The club does too. Droy hilariously predicted Mendy to be bought as GK2. He was wrong. Once he realised that he hilariously predicted that Kepa will win back the GK1 spot this coming season. No doubt he will be wrong again. 

The best for Kepa’s career would be if he accepted he doesn’t have what it takes to play in England (right now) and go back to a mid table side in Spain or perhaps Italy. That’s his level and maybe, just maybe he can work on his very obvious weaknesses (that opponents here are targeting with a menace over here) and eventually become a good keeper in his later years. 

If he stays on as GK2 for the next 4 seasons his career is effectively over after that. 

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

As a general rule, unless there is an appendix to the data that says "shot stopping is adjusted for the level of difficulty" then all this is guesswork.  It may be that some of this data is sold to clubs with a full guide.  It is extremely unlikely a journalist or punter writing for WAGNH would understand the detail, and even less likely that they were given it.  These pictures are crude, and it is wrong to second guess what they mean.

2 hours ago, King Kante said:

Well, it depends on what you mean by 'certainly not the worst'. This is where some context needs to come in. Kepa plays for Chelsea

My context was the post I was replying to earlier and the one I quoted above too.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, The_Ghost said:

He's the worst PL keeper over the last three seasons and at the same time the most expensive (by some distance).

As I explained I am not interested in pretending he is a top half keeper.

But I will repeat what a lot of people have said, keeping for a Lampard team is difficult whether you are Kepa, Mendy, Caballero or Scott Carson at Derby.

14 minutes ago, The_Ghost said:

I really wouldn’t bother trying to paint this picture to Droy. He’s made up his mind and there is nothing you say that can change his mind or even make him reconsider his stance. 

oh dear - just read what I wrote - and what you wrote.  Stop pretending the whole world precisely confirms the world of your imagination.

RDCW   
49 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

As a general rule, unless there is an appendix to the data that says "shot stopping is adjusted for the level of difficulty" then all this is guesswork.  It may be that some of this data is sold to clubs with a full guide.  It is extremely unlikely a journalist or punter writing for WAGNH would understand the detail, and even less likely that they were given it.  These pictures are crude, and it is wrong to second guess what they mean.

My context was the post I was replying to earlier and the one I quoted above too.

As I explained I am not interested in pretending he is a top half keeper.

But I will repeat what a lot of people have said, keeping for a Lampard team is difficult whether you are Kepa, Mendy, Caballero or Scott Carson at Derby.

oh dear - just read what I wrote - and what you wrote.  Stop pretending the whole world precisely confirms the world of your imagination.

Why should he? You don't!

46 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Very good.  Plenty to the piece  - some snippets about the LC final..

....My first season was good. I adapted quickly to the Premier League — undoubtedly the most difficult league in the world for goalkeepers — we got back into the Champions League, we won the Europa League against Arsenal and I was starting matches with the Spanish national team.

For me, only that moment in the League Cup final tarnished my first season…. Let’s just deal with that here once and for all. 

It was all a big misunderstanding. ....

....After making a save, I felt something in my leg and I called for the physio to make sure it was nothing. Above all, though, I wanted to make sure that we as a team could catch our breath. ....

....I tried to signal that I was O.K., that I wasn’t injured. But we were at Wembley in front of more than 80,000 people, so of course Sarri didn’t understand me. When the fourth official raised the board, clearly I should have come off, and I’m sorry I didn’t.

I was wrong, and I am sorry for everyone who was involved: for Maurizio Sarri, who it seemed like I had undermined in public; for Willy, a teammate and a great professional; and for all my teammates and Chelsea fans who had to put up with everything — all the noise that was generated during the game and then in the days after.

Inside the club it was no big deal. I had a chat with the boss, we talked about how we had each seen the situation, and we cleared the air. After that I got dropped for one game, but a week later I was back in the team.....

....But outside the club, it got out of control. 

Which should not surprise anyone.  A communication problem - Zola's role.

What might have made it worse is if Sarri didn't want us wasting time, rather he wanted us to push for a win.  That is why I think Sarri was so angry - that his medical staff were playing along with the time wasting.  

Leo91   

Don't know why Kepa couldn't/didn't run to the touchline to explain.