Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Kepa Arrizabalaga

On 01/11/2019 at 3:33 PM, paulw66 said:

It wasn't a couple of weeks. I wrote several weeks.....as in a couple of months. Perhaps back in the January, when Kepa's buy out clause was lower, the club had every hope TC would re-sign.  Only TC and the club were privvy to those conversations.

I expect if CHO had left in the summer, everyone would have said it was heading that way...... truth is, nobody knows. 

Several means more than two but not many I.e. 3 or 4. It does not mean 7+. 

If the club thought TC was resigning then they were very stupid. It was clear he was leaving for a long time, I mean it was debated on here numberous times and it was pretty clear he wanted out, which is also why a lot of fans took a disliking to him. As I said before, TC's account of what happened sounds very likely. In which case the club look very silly. 

CHO did not rumble on for close to 4 years like TC. 

On 01/11/2019 at 4:01 PM, Droy was my hero said:

With TC it was heading 2 different ways.  No one on the outside had a clue.

Loads of things are "well known", especially in the football media.  They are frequently plain wrong, and equally frequently just half the story.
Unknowns include - could anyone buy him at that price, or just Spanish clubs or CL entrants?  Was he offered a massive signing on bonus to stay (perhaps £10m if he stays for 2 years)  - if so an £18m fee would have to be added to a equally good or better signing on fee.  

And then in January 2018 there was this:
image.png.fb0042363e3a798fe94d9bcebfe6d8c8.pnghttps://en.as.com/en/2018/01/09/football/1515481989_785776.html

Still blame Maria.

The clause is well spoken about. Even Kepa himself has referred to it, whilst I believe Zidane has also spoken about it. Ergo, the clause is pretty much fact unless Kepa and Zidane read the same fairy tale that they tell each other. Really, special clauses?  There is absolutely no evidence for it and this is reaching Droy. Further, if a club has a special buyout stipulation why would they include one that benefits a direct competitor more than an external one, especially for a youth product who when he signed his initial contract was not well known. It literally makes no sense. 

Maybe. However, with it clear TC was never going to sign a new contract the club should have been moving for other players in Jan, especially if players that they rate at £72m can be had for £18m and at that point, while said player is on around £10k a week. Again, if Kepa was such a well thought out piece of business, who had been scouted properly, why were we not signing him then. I mean, if he was on a rader why did we not go with the buy to loan option we are so fond of? 

Again, TC's account of what happened makes most sense and fits with what we know. 

Yes, Droy but the day after that article it was clear it was a minor injury and he was playing soon afterwards. It's not like there were fears he had a knee like Fekir. 

23 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Here you argue against yourself. From the moment TC said he wasn't coming back, the Kepa deal was done in 24-48 hours.

You're right, these deals take weeks / months. Simply means Kepa had been in the cross hairs for a long time, and all we needed to do was "press go" as soon as TC was a non starter

Not really. The club did not exactly negotiate did they? They simply paid an extortionate rate in which Athletic could not do anything about (activated clause) and Kepa hit the jackpot that he was not going to turn down. Just to put it into perspective when we signed Kepa we made him either the 2nd highest paid player or joint 3rd highest paid player (alongside Cesc) at the club. This for a kid who had only played 54 domestic Spainish games. Yes, that screams of a negotiated deal. 

17 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

You are amazed over the criticism he gets? For real?

If so, I'm amazed that you are amazed because he's got some glaring weaknesses. His command of the box, his aerial play and his, sometimes, nonchalant way of playing out from the back are three pretty obvious weaknesses that are on display every time he steps out on the pitch. 

No one is saying he's a rubbish keeper. What's happening though is people pointing out the obvious. 

It is because he is a show reel keeper. To be fair, some of the stops he makes are outragous and this is what everyone remembers. As for his weakness, that gets blamed on the defence. 

Kepa for me is a funny one as some aspects of his game are excellent whilst others are poor. For me he is the equivalent of a Quarterback who cannot pass out of the pocket and needs his defence to ensure he gets space and time. Therefore, he gives lots of show reel moments and can produce things others cannot, but when pressed and surrounded he has very clear faults. 

Edited by King Kante

21 minutes ago, King Kante said:

The clause is well spoken about. Even Kepa himself has referred to it, whilst I believe Zidane has also spoken about it. Ergo, the clause is pretty much fact unless Kepa and Zidane read the same fairy tale that they tell each other. Really, special clauses?  There is absolutely no evidence for it and this is reaching Droy. Further, if a club has a special buyout stipulation why would they include one that benefits a direct competitor more than an external one, especially for a youth product who when he signed his initial contract was not well known. It literally makes no sense. 

What I meant when I started that post was that the fact that a clause is once reported, does not mean that it was a realistic opportunity for Chelsea to buy the player at that time.
There are many reasons why Kepa might not have actually been available.  Only when I had listed quite a few did I consider he might not have been fit anyway.
He didn't play in January, he did have a potentially serious injury.  He really wasn't a realistic option in January 2018 (and had he been, he might well have gone to RM anyway).

So stop this "Chelsea screwed up not buying him".  You don't know what happened, so don't allocate blame.

25 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Yes, Droy but the day after that article it was clear it was a minor injury and he was playing soon afterwards. It's not like there were fears he had a knee like Fekir. 

Didn't play for 6 weeks.  I think you lost this argument.

chara   
17 hours ago, The_Ghost said:

No one is saying he's a rubbish keeper. What's happening though is people pointing out the obvious. 

Hmm...the obvious?...ironically that's all that is going on.....

9 minutes ago, chara said:

Hmm...the obvious?...ironically that's all that is going on.....

Forgive me chara but not sure I follow? You don’t think he’s poor at commanding his box and poor aerial play? 

If so, I’d be very interested to hear your arguments. 

chara   

I have said I am not convinced by Kepa.The point I seem to belabouring on is that there is very little comment this season when he makes any sort of worthy save..the irony comment was aimed at the continual repeated comments.

It's flavour of the month critism not unjust but over the top...check other keepers and see how the same issues come up..interesting if one does...

The second Citeh goal the keeper "came" for the ball and failed..the Soton goal was a bad spill..had it been Kepa the pages would have been on fire!(and rightly so)..I also saw I think the Wham keeper get stranded coming for the ball..not sure as was a bit distracted and only just caught it.

My other point on a lost post was who else was available for Chelsea to go for?

At this point, Kepa isn't a keeper who will charge off his line to claim crosses and 'command' his area. Sometimes, but it's certainly not his strength.  Maybe as he matures, that will come, but we'll have to wait and see. What we can all see right now, is that we have an outstanding shot stopper - quick,  agile, and brave. For now, that will do me, and I'm glad we have him. 

chara   
10 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

At this point, Kepa isn't a keeper who will charge off his line to claim crosses and 'command' his area. Sometimes, but it's certainly not his strength.  Maybe as he matures, that will come, but we'll have to wait and see. What we can all see right now, is that we have an outstanding shot stopper - quick,  agile, and brave. For now, that will do me, and I'm glad we have him. 

Well said MT....still waiting to read who was available and worth getting instead of Kepa..... criticise when appropriate but give the lad some credit..saved two points when it mattered today. The Watford keeper had a great game BUT they lost...lot of great saves..Kepa made one that changed the game.

On 02/11/2019 at 4:43 PM, Droy was my hero said:

What I meant when I started that post was that the fact that a clause is once reported, does not mean that it was a realistic opportunity for Chelsea to buy the player at that time.
There are many reasons why Kepa might not have actually been available.  Only when I had listed quite a few did I consider he might not have been fit anyway.
He didn't play in January, he did have a potentially serious injury.  He really wasn't a realistic option in January 2018 (and had he been, he might well have gone to RM anyway).

So stop this "Chelsea screwed up not buying him".  You don't know what happened, so don't allocate blame.

Didn't play for 6 weeks.  I think you lost this argument.

I did a bit more digging on this and things are even worse. His initial contract was actually expiring in June 2018 so he would have been a free that Summer. 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3356867/kepa-signs-new-athletic-bilbao-contract-to-bring-end-to-real-madrid-interest

I think this conclusively proves that he was not a long term scouting project. As you're always keen to point out (and which I agree with) Bosman's are never free as they esstentially are able to demand their fee as wages/signing on fees. As a result, if he was planned then it makes absolutely no sense that he signed that new contract nor that we then went and brought him for £72m six months later. Kepa is also on record as saying that when he signed that contract he thought he was staying at Athletic for a long time. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/en.as.com/en/2019/10/10/football/1570717417_695162.amp.html

6 weeks? Yes, very long term injury that was......

4 minutes ago, King Kante said:

I did a bit more digging on this and things are even worse. His initial contract was actually expiring in June 2018 so he would have been a free that Summer. 

https://www.espn.co.uk/football/soccer-transfers/story/3356867/kepa-signs-new-athletic-bilbao-contract-to-bring-end-to-real-madrid-interest

I think this conclusively proves that he was not a long term scouting project. As you're always keen to point out (and which I agree with) Bosman's are never free as they esstentially are able to demand their fee as wages/signing on fees. As a result, if he was planned then it makes absolutely no sense that he signed that new contract nor that we then went and brought him for £72m six months later. Kepa is also on record as saying that when he signed that contract he thought he was staying at Athletic for a long time. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/en.as.com/en/2019/10/10/football/1570717417_695162.amp.html

6 weeks? Yes, very long term injury that was......

You can argue as much as you like about there being a possibility he might have been available.  I'll give you a maybe.  Certainly a maybe that he might have been available to RM (who may have wanted him more than Courtois).

But you main point has always been that this is cast iron proof that the management screwed up.  On a maybe missed opportunity.

Can we accept now that there really is no evidence of incompetence by the (our) board here and move on.

19 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You can argue as much as you like about there being a possibility he might have been available.  I'll give you a maybe.  Certainly a maybe that he might have been available to RM (who may have wanted him more than Courtois).

But you main point has always been that this is cast iron proof that the management screwed up.  On a maybe missed opportunity.

Can we accept now that there really is no evidence of incompetence by the (our) board here and move on.

In your book maybe. However, that would require a belief that there was a viable chance TC would sign a new contract. That I think was a very unlikely scenario and was pretty clear at least 18 months before he left. Therefore, the club should have been looking for alternatives at that point and not Summer 2018. 

What is clear is that we were not interested in Kepa in January 2018 because if we were, both us and Kepa were incrediably generous towards Athletic.