Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

bert19   
3 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Apparently, from what I've read, the obvious answer is 'Yes, he does".

I didn't say that they did.

I'd be quite surprised if clubs didn't do well off shirt sales tbh - judging by their material, weight, speed of rotation, the margins must be pretty good on them??

Shirts are what, 60 quid plus a go these days, plus any printing people want. There must be a really tidy profit in them at those prices. Obviously not the primary income, but a tidy amount that I'm sure adds nice bits to the end of year accounts - especially at big clubs supplied by Nike or Adidas. 

Edited by bert19

Ham   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

You forgot "the Pennsylvania Pelé" 😉

1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

Has he got erectile disfunction then ?

For anyone who listens to Johnny Vaughan on Radio X, this exchange sounds a bit "Mexican Handbag". 

45 minutes ago, bert19 said:

I'd be quite surprised if clubs didn't do well off shirt sales tbh - judging by their material, weight, speed of rotation, the margins must be pretty good on them??

Shirts are what, 60 quid plus a go these days, plus any printing people want. There must be a really tidy profit in them at those prices. Obviously not the primary income, but a tidy amount that I'm sure adds nice bits to the end of year accounts - especially at big clubs supplied by Nike or Adidas. 

Whilst, I believe there is massive money to be made from replica shirt sales, the question is how much of that money ends up in the club's pocket? Nike pay us circa £60m a year to design, make, provide and sell our kit/training wear/merchandise (according to a very quick Google). My understanding is they are then the beneficiaries of most of the profits made on those products. The deal may differ from club to club but I can't imagine they dish out that level of investment to then hand the profits to us as well. Otherwise, what is in it for them other than a bit of brand recognition?

xCELERYx   
2 hours ago, bert19 said:

The example I saw a couple years ago which referenced Liverpool's Nike deal was something along the lines of.

Their 5-year deal with Nike was for £150m - with a 20% commission from sales. If shirts were sold at £80 roughly, 20% of that is £16. So that's roughly what they'd make from each shirt sale. So a million shirt sales would net them an extra £16m on top of the £30m they get each year as part of their deal. 

Liverpool however have one of the highest known commission fees, the average for most top side was reported to be around the 7.5 to 15 percent.

chara   

Some perspective.... when I first arrived here in 1998 the coverage of the EPL was minimal as was the media attention. I recall a Sunday programme that showed some highlights and the WC got covered.

Nearly 25 years later I can watch pretty much any game anywhere. The EPL is heavily featured and any games not on regular tv can be stream

This has happened on the back of a far greater interest in the game at all levels highlighted by the Female Game....hard to get the right PC term!...at school/college level and coverage of WC of both genders.

As stated before I have little interest in MLS...why would I watch at best Championship level football..if that... when I can catch any game from the top Leagues and clubs in the World?

Some of the raised interest is due to media momentum....the profit aspect of course, but that feeds on itself and the push increases as does the profit...basic capitalism I guess but others here are far more qualified to analyse this scenario.

As I have said before Pulisic is the face of EPL/Chelsea here and forgetting the on field input from him. hard though it may be to ignore. his value to Chelsea as Commercial Entity far outweighs his value as squad member.

It's not shirt sales..it's Chelsea up front as represented by Captain America and the early foothold in future developments.

The "Socc'erre" gravy train will not stop where it is at this time and I'm sure eventually there will be more direct income to clubs from media rights etc and if we do have American ownership I'm sure, again, as  a corporate identity they are aware of the vast untapped profit/income  available in the near future.

I thought Puli seemed game savvy with an awareness when he arrived but that seems to have faded to a large extent and he appears to be just an average EPL player..not an insult as I've said before but no..for example only ,,Eden H in his prime.

RDCW   
5 minutes ago, chara said:

Eden H in his prime

Or indeed in any other condition. Not fit to lace the great man's boots.

chara   
10 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

Or indeed in any other condition. Not fit to lace the great man's boots.

I was being kind!...totally agree.

RDCW   
3 minutes ago, chara said:

I was being kind!...totally agree.

😁

21 minutes ago, chara said:

Some perspective.... when I first arrived here in 1998 the coverage of the EPL was minimal as was the media attention. I recall a Sunday programme that showed some highlights and the WC got covered.

Nearly 25 years later I can watch pretty much any game anywhere. The EPL is heavily featured and any games not on regular tv can be stream

This has happened on the back of a far greater interest in the game at all levels highlighted by the Female Game....hard to get the right PC term!...at school/college level and coverage of WC of both genders.

As stated before I have little interest in MLS...why would I watch at best Championship level football..if that... when I can catch any game from the top Leagues and clubs in the World?

Some of the raised interest is due to media momentum....the profit aspect of course, but that feeds on itself and the push increases as does the profit...basic capitalism I guess but others here are far more qualified to analyse this scenario.

As I have said before Pulisic is the face of EPL/Chelsea here and forgetting the on field input from him. hard though it may be to ignore. his value to Chelsea as Commercial Entity far outweighs his value as squad member.

It's not shirt sales..it's Chelsea up front as represented by Captain America and the early foothold in future developments.

The "Socc'erre" gravy train will not stop where it is at this time and I'm sure eventually there will be more direct income to clubs from media rights etc and if we do have American ownership I'm sure, again, as  a corporate identity they are aware of the vast untapped profit/income  available in the near future.

I thought Puli seemed game savvy with an awareness when he arrived but that seems to have faded to a large extent and he appears to be just an average EPL player..not an insult as I've said before but no..for example only ,,Eden H in his prime.

For a very brief period I thought Puli had the potential to go on to be even better than Hazard. I still believe him, but time is running out. I'd give both him and CHO next season to start showing up more consistently, and move them on if they fail to do that. 

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

For a very brief period I thought Puli had the potential to go on to be even better than Hazard. I still believe him, but time is running out. I'd give both him and CHO next season to start showing up more consistently, and move them on if they fail to do that. 

Don't think he's ever come close to looking half as good as Hazard, let alone better. Still baffles me to this day as to why we even purchased him to begin with considering he came with a laundry list of injuries, had a play style that was clearly limited, and had been ousted out of the side by a younger player. 

Not sure we can really afford to give him another season, his fourth at that, when he's arguably gone backwards since arriving. Not only that, but his contract ends in 2024 which also makes it tougher to justify if we're wanting to try and recoup as much of the £60m we were fleeced of initially.