Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Don't think he's ever come close to looking half as good as Hazard, let alone better. Still baffles me to this day as to why we even purchased him to begin with considering he came with a laundry list of injuries, had a play style that was clearly limited, and had been ousted out of the side by a younger player. 

Not sure we can really afford to give him another season, his fourth at that, when he's arguably gone backwards since arriving. Not only that, but his contract ends in 2024 which also makes it tougher to justify if we're wanting to try and recoup as much of the £60m we were fleeced of initially. 

There were a few months under Frank where I thought he looked like a real too class player in the making. Sadly, he has  regressed since then and I also fear he's lost the killer speed over the first 5 yards which left players for dead.

Can't argue about yourself and others thinking he's had enough time and the contract situation as well because they are all fair points.

7 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Don't think he's ever come close to looking half as good as Hazard, let alone better. Still baffles me to this day as to why we even purchased him to begin with considering he came with a laundry list of injuries, had a play style that was clearly limited, and had been ousted out of the side by a younger player. 

Not sure we can really afford to give him another season, his fourth at that, when he's arguably gone backwards since arriving. Not only that, but his contract ends in 2024 which also makes it tougher to justify if we're wanting to try and recoup as much of the £60m we were fleeced of initially. 

We're not playing to his strengths...

• Haha 1

The reason I still want to give him a bit more time is because I believe he's still wants it and is still trying.

For sure he has poor games and games where he doesnt see much of the ball, but he is getting stuck in and  taking knocks.In particular, there was a game a while ago which to me proved he's still trying for the team. A ball was played across the box just inside the 6 yard box. Puli knew he'd be a fraction late to get into a position to take a shot, so he literally just threw his body at the ball in an attempt to score. Puli missed the ball and he ended up inside the goal.😀 You do not see anything like that commitment from Lukaku, which is why I want him gone asp and but willing to see Puli be given that bit more time.

Bison   
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

There were a few months under Frank where I thought he looked like a real too class player in the making. Sadly, he has  regressed since then and I also fear he's lost the killer speed over the first 5 yards which left players for dead.

Can't argue about yourself and others thinking he's had enough time and the contract situation as well because they are all fair points.

Few games actually, not months. Every player in the world is capable of 4-5 good games and Pulisic is no different. We play 60+ a season so 5 good games a season doesn't justify keeping him around

xCELERYx   
1 hour ago, boratsbrother said:

That restart period was always a unique set of circumstances and never a true reflection of his ability imo. He was still somewhat of an unknown to most teams because he hadn't played much prior in the season, this meant a lot of teams didn't really plan for him all too much. As such he was granted certain liberties like more time on the ball, greater freedom with the positions he could take up, and defenders didn't particularly defend him closely. Whether it was initial or not by Frank, but he also kinda became a bit of a focal point of our play (along with Giroud). The ball would often go through him, which meant more touches and freedoms in the attacking third. 

The following season everything changed. Teams were more aware of what he can do, so they paid more attention and begun adjusting. Since then we've seen defenders engage more physically with him, they close him down quicker knowing he generally wants several touches, while also looking to deny him the central spaces he prefers to operate in and instead force him wider and away from goal where he's much less effective. And of course we drafted in other players who also needed the ball, so his touches per game declined in the process. With all of that happening Pulisic just hasn't adjusted well, part and parcel because he's quite one dimensional. If he could pass or cross he'd at least have some variety to his game where he can go down the outside and whip a ball in, or open up a defence with a good ball through for someone else. 

Do agree though that he looks to have also lost a yard on top. 

xCELERYx   
48 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

We're not playing to his strengths...

Hehe I see what you did there...

I do think he is one of players that suffers most from the system we play. He is an out and out winger and think he struggles as more of a floating 10 that Tuchel asks him to be - his passing isn't good enough and he runs down dead ends in the more crowded central areas. However, that is probably even more reason to sell him rather than an excuse to keep him. 

Between Pulisic, Werner and Lukaku we don't half have some pretty technically limited players. 

xCELERYx   
37 minutes ago, FrankLampard8 said:

I do think he is one of players that suffers most from the system we play. He is an out and out winger and think he struggles as more of a floating 10 that Tuchel asks him to be - his passing isn't good enough and he runs down dead ends in the more crowded central areas. However, that is probably even more reason to sell him rather than an excuse to keep him. 

Between Pulisic, Werner and Lukaku we don't half have some pretty technically limited players. 

He really isn't though. If he was, he'd be less of a problem.

He plays inverted for one, which feeds into his desire to take up centralised positions more frequently when he does get the ball. Out of possession and he's either drifting infield to get a touch, or he's pushing right up into and around the box where the CF would generally operate in. None of these screams "out and out winger". He's completely useless in the wider areas, which his why he hardly ever stretches play or takes up such positions. Even in the rare occasions he does get near the byline, his crossing is well below par anyway. As such he tends to stay deeper to give himself room ahead to cut back into and drive forward - when he does actually manage to beat his man and not turn it over. 

2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

He really isn't though. If he was, he'd be less of a problem.

He plays inverted for one, which feeds into his desire to take up centralised positions more frequently when he does get the ball. Out of possession and he's either drifting infield to get a touch, or he's pushing right up into and around the box where the CF would generally operate in. None of these screams "out and out winger". He's completely useless in the wider areas, which his why he hardly ever stretches play or takes up such positions. Even in the rare occasions he does get near the byline, his crossing is well below par anyway. As such he tends to stay deeper to give himself room ahead to cut back into and drive forward - when he does actually manage to beat his man and not turn it over. 

I would suggest that is just an inverted winger though. He might like to cut inside but he still just wants to isolate his man and take him on ultimately - whether you believe he is good at that is another thing, which I'm sensing you don't. He would be far more comfortable in a 4-3-3 formation than trying to get in pockets between the lines and pick a killer pass.

Jasonb   

Pulisic is one of our best finishers in the box.

I loved his attempt at rolling his defender with his back to goal and turning and shooting with his left. It was way wide yet just the audacity to try it.

His work rate is not as high as someone like Mount yet would always like the option to bring him on.