Sir

Official: Chelsea Sign Christian Pulisic

paulw66   
On 05/05/2022 at 8:49 AM, xCELERYx said:

The following season everything changed. . 

Yes, he ripped his hamstring in the cup final. 

xCELERYx   
8 hours ago, paulw66 said:

None of which has played a part in things like his decision making, poor passing, turning into traffic, being easily dispossessed, etc.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

None of which has played a part in things like his decision making, poor passing, turning into traffic, being easily dispossessed, etc.

You really do go ott with your criticisms of Puli and RLC.

Sure, they both have glaring faults in their games (who doesn't in the squad?) but both have terrible luck with injuries which has held back their progress and neither might never become the player as good as they could have been. However, both are gradually improving and becoming more consistent.

Imo, RLC has had a better season than Kante and Jorginho, and Puli has been better than Ziyech, CHO and Werner, and both have easily done enough to deserve another season.

Edited by boratsbrother

xCELERYx   
3 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

You really do go ott with your criticisms of Puli and RLC.

Sure, they both have glaring faults in their games (who doesn't in the squad?) but both have terrible luck with injuries which has held back their progress and neither might never become the player as good as they could have been. However, both are gradually improving and becoming more consistent.

Imo, RLC has had a better season than Kante and Jorginho, and Puli has been better than Ziyech, CHO and Werner, and both have easily done enough to deserve another season.

Wouldn't really call it going OTT. 

Neither have done anything overly remarkable, that's the nuts and bolts of it. Injuries have followed Pulisic throughout his entire career with the warning labels on the tin when we signed him. Until he can prove otherwise over an extended period that'll always hang over him. While from a performance perspective he's arguably stagnated at the very best in the three years he's been here. A couple of more promising outings of late doesn't really change all too much though because we already know he can have good isolated performances. Improvement would be seeing more consistency to his game and refining the various areas he still continues to fall short in, and has done even prior to being a Chelsea player. 

As for Loftus-Cheek it's the same story really. We all know the natural talent is there, but he hasn't really improved from an overall perspective. Yes, having a major injury set him back, but let's not pretend it's impacted him doing some of the fundamental better, especially some of the things he still continues struggle with and has done since his youth team days. 

Whether both deserve to be here next season or not is a subjective topic. Personally, I'm neither here not there on Loftus-Cheek. Happy to retain him if he's that 5th or so CM that plays here and there, but also fine if we opt to cash in should a reasonable offer come forward. As for Pulisic I think cashing in this summer makes sense when you factor in his contract ends in 2024 and it's hard to justify extending his contract at 150k pw which it currently sits at. So, unless he's taking a significant pay cut to stay longer than this summer really is one of the last chances we have to recoup a decent fee. Otherwise another season that trends in the same manner as his previous three and we're going to be walking away with another expensive asset walking away for minimal return. 

20 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Does not change the fact that he is poor and does not give ANYTHING of note.

• Like 1

paulw66   
2 hours ago, xCELERYx said:

Wouldn't really call it going OTT. 

Neither have done anything overly remarkable, that's the nuts and bolts of it. Injuries have followed Pulisic throughout his entire career with the warning labels on the tin when we signed him. Until he can prove otherwise over an extended period that'll always hang over him. While from a performance perspective he's arguably stagnated at the very best in the three years he's been here. A couple of more promising outings of late doesn't really change all too much though because we already know he can have good isolated performances. Improvement would be seeing more consistency to his game and refining the various areas he still continues to fall short in, and has done even prior to being a Chelsea player. 

As for Loftus-Cheek it's the same story really. We all know the natural talent is there, but he hasn't really improved from an overall perspective. Yes, having a major injury set him back, but let's not pretend it's impacted him doing some of the fundamental better, especially some of the things he still continues struggle with and has done since his youth team days. 

Whether both deserve to be here next season or not is a subjective topic. Personally, I'm neither here not there on Loftus-Cheek. Happy to retain him if he's that 5th or so CM that plays here and there, but also fine if we opt to cash in should a reasonable offer come forward. As for Pulisic I think cashing in this summer makes sense when you factor in his contract ends in 2024 and it's hard to justify extending his contract at 150k pw which it currently sits at. So, unless he's taking a significant pay cut to stay longer than this summer really is one of the last chances we have to recoup a decent fee. Otherwise another season that trends in the same manner as his previous three and we're going to be walking away with another expensive asset walking away for minimal return. 

Pulisic hasn't missed a game through injury since November

That's a start 

paulw66   
30 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Does not change the fact that he is poor and does not give ANYTHING of note.

Disagree.

He's an excellent finisher. His minutes per goal has been good since he joined, it's just getting enough minutes out of him

2 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Disagree.

He's an excellent finisher. His minutes per goal has been good since he joined, it's just getting enough minutes out of him

Seriously?

So if he were fit to play for a whole season, let's say the next one, you will have him as our starting forward? A player who can't hold on to the ball, gets dispossessed like a 8 year old playing like a headless chicken, someone who can't take on and go past a player. Whose passing is average and movement is not great. 

Sorry but not for me and as I see it, not for TT. Puli should be one of the first names on the chopping block. If we are starting under new ownership, let's start it with a clean slate rather than following the old mantra of righting past wrongs and sticking with them till they Torres their way out. 

paulw66   
25 minutes ago, didierforever said:

Seriously?

So if he were fit to play for a whole season, let's say the next one, you will have him as our starting forward? A player who can't hold on to the ball, gets dispossessed like a 8 year old playing like a headless chicken, someone who can't take on and go past a player. Whose passing is average and movement is not great. 

Sorry but not for me and as I see it, not for TT. Puli should be one of the first names on the chopping block. If we are starting under new ownership, let's start it with a clean slate rather than following the old mantra of righting past wrongs and sticking with them till they Torres their way out. 

Seriously, what? Yes, I believe what I wrote, which is why I wrote it.

Starting forward.... I am not really sure what you mean. we will play 65 games this season, and hopefully a similar number next year. We need about 6 forwards for that, and yes I would have him as one.

In terms of pecking order, I'd say he is 3rd or 4th out of 7. 

Let's be realistic, even if we wanted to, we are not going to sell 4 or 5 forwards, and replace them all in one window; I would get rid of Werner and Ziyech before I sold Pulisic. Lukaku too probably if you could get your money back, and he is currently much better than CHO (who is even more injury prone)

Since he joined Chelsea, he has averaged a goal every 238* minutes. If you got 45 games out of him, that equates to scoring 17 goals.

That is the big "if", keeping him fit. As already stated, he hasn't missed a game through injury since November, so hopefully his fitness is improving. 

* taking PL and CL only as domestic cup games against lower league opponents are not worth including 

Edited by paulw66

40 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Seriously, what? Yes, I believe what I wrote, which is why I wrote it.

Starting forward.... I am not really sure what you mean. we will play 65 games this season, and hopefully a similar number next year. We need about 6 forwards for that, and yes I would have him as one.

In terms of pecking order, I'd say he is 3rd or 4th out of 7. 

Let's be realistic, even if we wanted to, we are not going to sell 4 or 5 forwards, and replace them all in one window; I would get rid of Werner and Ziyech before I sold Pulisic. Lukaku too probably if you could get your money back, and he is currently much better than CHO (who is even more injury prone)

Since he joined Chelsea, he has averaged a goal every 238* minutes. If you got 45 games out of him, that equates to scoring 17 goals.

That is the big "if", keeping him fit. As already stated, he hasn't missed a game through injury since November, so hopefully his fitness is improving. 

* taking PL and CL only as domestic cup games against lower league opponents are not worth including 

Surprised you have to ask "what I mean by starting forward". I mean the type of starting forwards that liverpool have. Seen their forwards? They namely go by Mane, salah, jota and diaz. 

If you think we can compete for the title with Puli playing 30 out of 38 games, congrats to you to blinding yourself. I will stay in the real world and see pulisic for what he is, a bang average player who can have a good moment here or there. Nothing more than that. Hell, if he was our starting forward, we wont find it hard to make top4.