Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

JaneB   
32 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

There's a lot of people with a high media presence getting this...Gov ministers, sportsman, coaches, actors, etc. Once people see these people emerge relatively unscathed  from their homes in a couple of weeks I think some of the panic may die down. I would like to know how many of the deaths in this country were people who were perfectly healthy and how many had problems.

Mrs Nobly works as dental receptionist and she's just come back home saying her fellow receptionist  has gone into self isolation feeling very unwell. She works in Hove which is a bit of a hot spot. So now I'm thinking if she gets it, I'll get it and I haven't even stocked up on kitkats! 

I'm not certain but I think all the deaths so far in this country have been people with underlying health problems, but obviously that doesn't make it ok.  They are still human beings with families.

It would also be interesting to know, and possibly reassuring,  how many people who are feeling unwell actually have the virus.  There must be other bugs around as well.

Sincerely hope Mrs. Nobly is ok and her work colleague.  

(As for the Kit Kats, I think you'll be ok.  Idiots too pre-occupied clearing the shelves of toilet rolls). 

5 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I'm not certain but I think all the deaths so far in this country have been people with underlying health problems, but obviously that doesn't make it ok.  They are still human beings with families.

It would also be interesting to know, and possibly reassuring,  how many people who are feeling unwell actually have the virus.  There must be other bugs around as well.

Sincerely hope Mrs. Nobly is ok and her work colleague.  

(As for the Kit Kats, I think you'll be ok.  Idiots too pre-occupied clearing the shelves of toilet rolls). 

TBH I'm seriously not bothered if I get it. If I died I'd be a bit peed off but I doubt that would happen... Mrs N would probably just accuse me of having a man cold for two weeks... I'd probably recover eventually and not have to worry about it again. I've had pneumonia years ago and it was a nightmare but if you can avoid that I think most emerge ok.  Its your parents who you worry about coz mine are getting on and probably would struggle coming out the other end I think.

chara   
10 minutes ago, JaneB said:

🐭

Oh my..wont let her see that!....I don't talk to people in stores etc but she will chat with anyone..far far NICER!!

48 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

I was reminded of the late 80s early 90s with the AIDs scare and the predictions that every so many of us were going to get AIDs yet we haven't in fact it is only certain social groups that are at risk.

I think this has been blown out of all sense of proportion because medical people confronted with something they don't understand have voiced the worse case basis.

Now if on my the way to my local High Street I saw people dropping dead I would understand the restrictions were justified yet this seems well over the top and is going to cause untold stress for possibly millions. 

I think this graphic explains the risk profile. It is probably inaccurate for a lot of reasons, but the enormous difference between old and young risk is clear.
Young CHO says he had a heavy cold and can't wait for his week of isolation to be over so he can get back to training.
Image result for mortality rates by age coronavirus

The other thing is that until they do testing in serious numbers, no one knows how many people have got it without symptoms.  Probably loads.  In Ohio they just estimated 1% of the population.  No identified deaths, but amongst all the ordinary flu victims it is likely a lot of cases have been hidden.

Edit - I agree that the Aids scare lead to a lot of well meaning blaming of comparatively very safe hetro-sexual practices of the majority for what was largely other behaviour.
But those videos set out to reduce 2 things, one was the number of contacts, and the other was the risk with contact.  That worked for all groups and saved a lot of lifes.  
We do need to achieve the same thing, and I don't the downside (not nearly as many contacts!) is quite the same this time.
(And I'm no longer in my 20s.) 

Jasonb   

Here's the thing.

I've read that the virus will sweep through the population with or without cancelling public events.

The current measures will likely stop the health services getting overwhelmed in a short period yet the same number of people will likely get it though spread out over a longer period.

Seems to be, instead of cancelling all public events perhaps they should have just asked the 70+ section of the population to avoid public events.

12 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Here's the thing.

I've read that the virus will sweep through the population with or without cancelling public events.

The current measures will likely stop the health services getting overwhelmed in a short period yet the same number of people will likely get it though spread out over a longer period.

Seems to be, instead of cancelling all public events perhaps they should have just asked the 70+ section of the population to avoid public events.

The issue is that it's random who gets it . What happens when Liverpool decimated by the virus , lose all their games while City with a bigger better squad win all theirs ?

What if West Ham are decimated and get relegated and Norwich have a fitter selection and don't .

It has to be either ended as is and tough luck if you're caught in relegation spaces or made null and void with the sides who were qualified for the champions league this season getting another try .

The Premier League are suggesting Leeds and WBA go up and give sides are relegated next season .

59 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

And sending their children or grandchildren or anyone else they might meet.

JaneB   
1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

Here's the thing.

Well everyone has free will and should use their common sense.  No one has to go to big public events.  But I think it's best they're all cancelled tbh.

Ham   
1 hour ago, Mark Kelly said:

The issue is that it's random who gets it . What happens when Liverpool decimated by the virus , lose all their games while City with a bigger better squad win all theirs ?

What if West Ham are decimated and get relegated and Norwich have a fitter selection and don't .

It has to be either ended as is and tough luck if you're caught in relegation spaces or made null and void with the sides who were qualified for the champions league this season getting another try .

The Premier League are suggesting Leeds and WBA go up and give sides are relegated next season .

Villa have a game in hand that could take them past Wet Spam. They don't need to get decimated. They're worthy of relegation already.

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

And sending their children or grandchildren or anyone else they might meet.

Yes the real danger is us infecting our own parents/grandparents at their own homes, not them going out.

We need to be keeping a social distance from the elderly whilst checking up on them in other ways.