Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaneB

Coronavirus COVID-19

So .

If the season is voided and we start 2019-2020 again .

Does Ziyech play for us this time of for Ajax ?

Sciatika   

We have to assume that the height of the virus (and the big lockdown) will happen in June. I don't believe any games will be played until well after that. I think the authorities will declare the season incomplete fixing the tables as they stand, frozen in time, as a memorial to those who did not see the end. They would start the next season with teams in the same leagues as we did this season (I.e. no relegation or promotion). They will fudge something for European qualification.

Ham   
36 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

We have to assume that the height of the virus (and the big lockdown) will happen in June. I don't believe any games will be played until well after that. I think the authorities will declare the season incomplete fixing the tables as they stand, frozen in time, as a memorial to those who did not see the end. They would start the next season with teams in the same leagues as we did this season (I.e. no relegation or promotion). They will fudge something for European qualification.

Average points per game would almost be fair but wouldn't take into account who still had the hardest run-in. Would sort out the game in hand argument. 

47 minutes ago, JaneB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51910780

Don't be silly Mason.  Didn't have him down as being the rebellious sort and I'm sure he's not, but everyone has to be sensible.

Must be tempting - at least he wasn't out drinking heavily which must be tempting.
I recall journalists telling David Moyes that his 16 year old talent, Rooney had been seen out on a Saturday night.  Playing footie in the park with some mates from school.
Too right said Moyes - that is just what a 16 year old ought to be up to.  (Moyes peaked in my estimation then).

Ham   

Anyone else surprised at how lightly the 1.4bn Chinese population got off and how immediately prepared the super rich were to move on and invest in falling stocks in the west?

Nothing to see here. 

17 minutes ago, Ham said:

Anyone else surprised at how lightly the 1.4bn Chinese population got off and how immediately prepared the super rich were to move on and invest in falling stocks in the west?

Nothing to see here. 

The super rich chinese are buying falling stocks in west?
I'm much confused.

I doubt the Chinese population are any better off than us - it is rife everywhere.  As soon as they start testing anywhere, they find it pretty quick.
That is true of football clubs (1% of London footballers), politicians, or any group that gets tested.
The only places that appear safe are the ones not tested.
The one certainty is that is has been around more than 3 months, probably much much longer, and so could have started anywhere in the world.

The good news is that the Super rich suffer from the fall in prices.  They were already in the market (albeit they got in a lot lot lower down).  However given the choice between giving money to the poor to spend and stave off a recession, and printing money to buy assets and save the Super rich from further price falls, the government have of course chosen to rescue the few.

7 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

I work for a small independent engineering company and they've told us to drive in and avoid public transport and if we have symptoms to stay at home and self isolate for two weeks but they can only afford to pay us statutory sick pay in that instance which is about £97 per week ! 

My colleagues are in uproar as , firstly the symptoms seem to be the same as a cold and secondly they cannot afford to live on £97 per week !

It's a bit odd really as my employers keep giving out mixed signals , one minute saying come in later and self isolate and the second , don't forget we need everyone in for stock check , which is hilarious as there is no appetite for the stock check on the shop floor .

I'm beginning to think that either the whole of continental Europe going into lock down is mental whilst we carry on regardless or , we're being lied to as the government is terrified of mass bankruptcy and job losses so are underplaying the entire thing 

So the argument for lock down is to spread the whole thing out over a longer period, because death rates skyrocket when hospitals are overstretched.
The argument against is to get it done, deaths and all, before the Economy has tanked so much it can't be revived easily.
And of course the first Economy to revive will be a big winner in international markets.  Boris is betting Britain.

Of course no one dares to use that language.  But it does look like Boris is going quietly for the 2nd option.  We do have the NHS which can much more easily be re-aligned to act on one illness than the semi-private systems of some countries.

Compared to deaths in Syria and especially now in Iran because of UK backed sanctions, the number of UK Virus victims is going to be small.

18 hours ago, JaneB said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51910780

Don't be silly Mason.  Didn't have him down as being the rebellious sort and I'm sure he's not, but everyone has to be sensible.

The interesting thing for me is that we have had 70,000 people fully recover from this virus and yet where are their stories of how it all played out (symptons, severity, recovery). I think I read one article of a Brit chap that caught it in China but that's it. You'd have thought that Sky news would have a few people on saying "this is how I caught it, this is what happened" etc. What I have seen is a fairly chipper CHO in a baseball cap saying he's all good and now Mason having a kick about in a local park. Am I missing something here?

bert19   
13 minutes ago, NoblyBobly said:

The interesting thing for me is that we have had 70,000 people fully recover from this virus and yet where are their stories of how it all played out (symptons, severity, recovery). I think I read one article of a Brit chap that caught it in China but that's it. You'd have thought that Sky news would have a few people on saying "this is how I caught it, this is what happened" etc. What I have seen is a fairly chipper CHO in a baseball cap saying he's all good and now Mason having a kick about in a local park. Am I missing something here?

Good point.  Remarkably little coverage when it comes to the recovered patients.  I guess that could be because Government is really trying to make the point of how quickly it spreads and how severe the effects can be?