Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaneB

Non Chelsea : European League Football

Recommended Posts

Serie A is a pale shadow of what it once was.  In it's pomp, every superstar player wanted to play for AC/Inter Milan, Juventus, Lazio, and maybe  a Sampdoria, now no superstars would touch a Serie A club with a bargepole, the EPL is now far superior, as is La Liga, and even the Bundesliga and Ligue ! in France is better than Serie A, no Italian team has won the UCL for years, and won't win it any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   
On 27/12/2020 at 8:00 PM, blueandproud said:

Serie A is a pale shadow of what it once was.  In it's pomp, every superstar player wanted to play for AC/Inter Milan, Juventus, Lazio, and maybe  a Sampdoria, now no superstars would touch a Serie A club with a bargepole, the EPL is now far superior, as is La Liga, and even the Bundesliga and Ligue ! in France is better than Serie A, no Italian team has won the UCL for years, and won't win it any time soon.

Do you have any explanations for that?

I could guess at the economy and perhaps there being a lack of money flowing into the clubs from corporate sponsors and fans not being able to afford to attend yet that might be too simplistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Jasonb said:

Do you have any explanations for that?

I could guess at the economy and perhaps there being a lack of money flowing into the clubs from corporate sponsors and fans not being able to afford to attend yet that might be too simplistic.

Surely this has been going on for about 20 years with fans across Europe switching to watch the Prem on TV.  
One team has won Serie A for the last 9 years.
It has become half as exciting as La Liga.
Even in Germany and France, BM and PSG screw up every now and then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still, at least we know we're just that little bit too good for League two. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Surely this has been going on for about 20 years with fans across Europe switching to watch the Prem on TV.  
One team has won Serie A for the last 9 years.
It has become half as exciting as La Liga.
Even in Germany and France, BM and PSG screw up every now and then.

Not to mention the dull Cattenaccio style of play which the Italians seem reluctant to move on from.  As I said, in the 1980's and '90'sSerie A was brilliant, now it's just unwatchable, it's become as predictable as the SPL, and Juve are just flat track bullies, they haven't won it since 1996 (when they had Luca Vialli and Conte playing for them), and have been terrible in all the finals they have lost since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, blueandproud said:

Not to mention the dull Cattenaccio style of play which the Italians seem reluctant to move on from.  As I said, in the 1980's and '90'sSerie A was brilliant, now it's just unwatchable, it's become as predictable as the SPL, and Juve are just flat track bullies, they haven't won it since 1996 (when they had Luca Vialli and Conte playing for them), and have been terrible in all the finals they have lost since.

That is interesting.  Personally I watch one team and occasionally MOTD and 2 or 3 other CL games a season (if we get knocked out early).  What I couldn't understand about Conte was how many times we won without ever looking much better than the oppo.  It was as though there was no need to outplay the oppo.  It was Serie A thinking employed in the Prem I guess.  And it was both dull and successful.  
Would Allegri be the same?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

That is interesting.  Personally I watch one team and occasionally MOTD and 2 or 3 other CL games a season (if we get knocked out early).  What I couldn't understand about Conte was how many times we won without ever looking much better than the oppo.  It was as though there was no need to outplay the oppo.  It was Serie A thinking employed in the Prem I guess.  And it was both dull and successful.  
Would Allegri be the same?

Yes I remember thinking how close things were when we put four past united and five past Everton. On another day they could have been 3-0 and 4-0 victories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Yes I remember thinking how close things were when we put four past united and five past Everton. On another day they could have been 3-0 and 4-0 victories. 

Well yes, I don't mean we didn't deserve that Prem win.  I just found it hard to work out what we did so much better than the oppo.
Patterns of play and drills on the training pitches I guess.  Then more numbers in the squad so none of the shortages and unfit players we had the previous year.
Dull boring things - the stuff of good management.

It is not as though by bringing in Christensen, Alonso, Moses, Luiz, Bats and Kante we added more than one player of real quality.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jasonb   
14 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Well yes, I don't mean we didn't deserve that Prem win.  I just found it hard to work out what we did so much better than the oppo.
Patterns of play and drills on the training pitches I guess.  Then more numbers in the squad so none of the shortages and unfit players we had the previous year.
Dull boring things - the stuff of good management.

It is not as though by bringing in Christensen, Alonso, Moses, Luiz, Bats and Kante we added more than one player of real quality.

I think it is a fair point, I have enduring memories of Victor Moses tearing down the right wing and knowing that he could not cross seemed bizarre.

We did look very organised and with Fabregas being able to find Costa or Hazard it seemed to work and lets not forget Luiz could also produce a decent pass too. 

I think as much as us being organised the opposition was less so and also caught out by how well we used the 3 at the back which was a novelty for most clubs at the time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jasonb said:

I think it is a fair point, I have enduring memories of Victor Moses tearing down the right wing and knowing that he could not cross seemed bizarre.

We did look very organised and with Fabregas being able to find Costa or Hazard it seemed to work and lets not forget Luiz could also produce a decent pass too. 

I think as much as us being organised the opposition was less so and also caught out by how well we used the 3 at the back which was a novelty for most clubs at the time. 

Someone put this up a month or so ago.
Steve Holland explaining how we had a system that allowed us to get 5 players up in attack, and how City have done it since (in a different way)
Very good.  Perhaps explains some of the mystery.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites