Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Blood Is Blue

Season expectations/predictions/peculiarities 2020/21

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

85 points and CL semis (a lot of effort will go into CL, but last 8 onwards is a lottery).  No idea if Liverpool or City can beat 85 points, but I doubt anyone else can.  Nowhere one hopes in FAC and LC - bigger fish to fry.

There may be up to half a dozen walking wounded clubs where even the ability to pay wages is an issue.  Picking up points may be more of a case of just not Fxxxing up than ever.  Conte would love this season.

Liverpool away on March 20 and then CL QFs and 9 more PL games.  If we don't have 60 points then a new manager arrives in the summer, the CL will be too late to change the decision.

Not sure he would  love it with the players we are buying though.

2 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

True.  But he could still pick:

Cabs,
Moses, Azpi, Christensen, Rudiger, Alonso,
Bakayoko,  Drinkwater,  Barkley,
Giroud, Bats,

with Zappacosta and Emerson as sub if he wanted.  He bought 11 of them and played the other two throughout.  They are all available.

18 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Martin, with respect, that it ridiculous, to think he'd turn his nose up at the players we've bought is a ludicrous assessment. 

He likes quality, but give him duds and he finds a way to make things work as demonstrated with Alonso, Moses, Young etc. 

Not for him the mantra of "I train my football very well so why change". 

He finds a way, he doesn't make the players change. 

If that means negative football then look to the board. 

39 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

He likes quality, but give him duds and he finds a way to make things work as demonstrated with Alonso, Moses, Young etc. 

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Morata?

And Alonso signed under him for over £20m! He was hardly a previous manager's leftover scraps he had to make use of. He was also given Kante and a CL-winning CB to add to Hazard, Costa, Willian, Fabregas, Courtois, Azpilicueta ... 

Absolute insanity to even slightly suggest Conte's successes here were despite having "duds", and a courageous take to suggest he "made things work" when he truly did have more duds to work with. 

I don't understand what it is about Conte (and Sarri) that drives this forum to such hyperbole.

44 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Martin, with respect, that it ridiculous, to think he'd turn his nose up at the players we've bought is a ludicrous assessment. 

Not for him the mantra of "I train my football very well so why change". 

He finds a way, he doesn't make the players change. 

If that means negative football then look to the board. 

I dont know mate, Frank seems to like very attacking players, almost to the extent of ignoring the defence and goalkeeper issues, Conte on the other hand bought how many attacking players?

10 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Drinkwater, Bakayoko, Morata?

And Alonso signed under him for over £20m! He was hardly a previous manager's leftover scraps he had to make use of. He was also given Kante and a CL-winning CB to add to Hazard, Costa, Willian, Fabregas, Courtois, Azpilicueta ... 

Absolute insanity to even slightly suggest Conte's successes here were despite having "duds", and a courageous take to suggest he "made things work" when he truly did have more duds to work with. 

I don't understand what it is about Conte (and Sarri) that drives this forum to such hyperbole.

It was an answer to the ridiculous statement that Conte wouldn't like the new players we've signed. 

Do you think he wouldn't? 

Just now, Martin1905 said:

I dont know mate, Frank seems to like very attacking players, almost to the extent of ignoring the defence and goalkeeper issues, Conte on the other hand bought how many attacking players?

Traditionally we haven't bought attacking players for years. 

It seemed to be we had Hazard, Willian, Pedro, what more could we want? 

Even Droy who hates Conte has bemoaned the lack of attacking support players in recent years. 

Now, we literally have no choice seeing as those three have all gone. 

I don't believe we can pin that on Conte. 

32 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Traditionally we haven't bought attacking players for years. 

It seemed to be we had Hazard, Willian, Pedro, what more could we want? 

Even Droy who hates Conte has bemoaned the lack of attacking support players in recent years. 

Now, we literally have no choice seeing as those three have all gone. 

I don't believe we can pin that on Conte. 

Actually I blamed Conte for that lack of AMs
Players we bought while Conte was in charge
image.png.21875669a408c1d78985ee73656ce1e6.png

image.png.5f2f1ac36f33055d9e15b8c03fe0c414.png 

Plus Christensen and Moses brought back into the squad.

There is 14 players there, but not a single AM (unless you count Moses who played FB).  A normal game involves 4 AMs rotating 2 positions.
And he did buy 3 strikers.  

Of that 14 players Conte added, only Kante (probably done long before Conte arrived) and Rudiger look relevant to next years team.  

Sarri and Lampard bought 4 between them in 2 years plus a 6 month loan of Higuain.  Passing the buck for a massive bloated and mostly ordinary squad lies from Conte to those two is a joke.  4 or 5 new adds now is well overdue.

(BTW no one takes the idea seriously that the board chose players over Conte's head.  Not worth floating again)

We've had periods where we regularly bought attacking midfielders/wingers for the first team during the Abrahmovic era, followed by relative troughs. 2015-2019 is the starkest. Why would this be?

2003: J.Cole, Duff

2004: Robben

2005: Wright-Phillips

2006: Kalou (striker?)

2007: Malouda

2008: Deco

2010: Benayoun

2011: Mata

2012: De Bruyne, Marin, Hazard, Oscar, Moses

2013: Schürrle, Willian

2014: Salah

2015: Cuadrado, Pedro, Kenedy

2019: Pulisic

2020: Ziyech

11 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It was an answer to the ridiculous statement that Conte wouldn't like the new players we've signed. 

Do you think he wouldn't? 

No idea, don't really care, pretty bored of any discussion of Conte being limited to him either being God's gift to football management or a simpleton. He obviously did some things really successfully well, he obviously did some things really disastrously badly.

You can see how dug in this forum seems to be on that matter when a poster such as yourself (and I'm meaning that as a compliment!) makes even a passing allusion to Conte's inherited Chelsea squad being "duds". We don't have to suggest players like Hazard, Costa, Fabregas, Willian, Courtois, Kante and Azpilicueta were less than they were (I.e. at the time the envy of at least about 90% of European football clubs who'd start them every game possible if able) to try to make an argument for Conte. Doing that is, imo, not praise or a defence. It is the most damning criticism of him, more savage than anything anyone being outwardly hostile towards him could possibly say.