Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My Blood Is Blue

Season expectations/predictions/peculiarities 2020/21

30 minutes ago, Bob Singleton said:

Not only do I think those mentioned will improve our goalscoring record (which in itself takes a bit of pressure off the defence), their age, fitness levels and speed of thought & deed will help us with pressing high up. Defence starts in attack. If we win more defensive battles higher up the pitch, it puts less pressure on players like Kante, Kovacic, etc., which it turn puts less pressure on our centre backs and goalkeeper (even Kepa!)

Yes.  I doubt if any of the new guys press better than Mount, but I doubt any will lead to a quick drop off of the press that we get when Giroud plays from the start.
But what I am really hoping for are 2nd goals to follow first goals, and games where we just don't have to defend our lead for 60 mins.
Of course I'm expecting quite a few teams in real trouble this season who won't be making massive comebacks very often too.

1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

As mad as this may sound, I think we have an outside chance of a title challenge........Disclaimer - I don't think we will if it is a yes/no question, but here is my rationale:

Well yes.  We should be getting 85 points which is a title challenge - at least is according to how I would define it.  For your reasons.  And if another club gets 90 they deserve the title (well not Liverpool obvs).

1 hour ago, Ham said:

Was at both of those (although I arrived 20 minutes after KO for the Barca game). Both brilliant performances.

Where the Everton game tipped it for me was just how relentless we were for 90 minutes and the quality of the play. It was the most perfect 90 minutes I've seen. 

We've won by more goals, particularly in 2009/10, but Everton under Conte was my personal favourite. Not the most important win, just the best IMO. 

Fair enough. I’d put that game in my top 20. For me there has been better performances in far bigger games which tips it for me. 

How we fare next season depends on how long it takes for everything to come together. We've signed 5 players who should all go into the starting line up, that is a big change, so I would be surprised if they all start together immediately. They all need to settle get to know each other and gel, who knows maybe one or two won't manage that. Frank used a lot of different tacticslast season, maybe put of necessity. With the money spent now he has to pick a formation and a style of play, or ethos, and say 'this is how we are going to play' each week and drill it into them. That's one of my expectations.

In terms of points this season, the individual quality if the players signed should give us at least ten points more. So being cautious I expect 80 points this season, but there is the definitely potential for more in the squad now. 2021 I would expect a title push with the money we have spent and academy products hopefully playing more and maturing in the upcoming season.

On a serious note though Madrid won nothing the year they bought Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema and Xabi Alonso. Let's not pile on the expectations right away. As Jose would have said our team right now is a baby 'orse that needs milk and support of the fans. Should turn into a premium mustang in the coming seasons but for now lets enjoy what we are witnessing at the club for the first time in a long time; the management, players and the board all pulling in the same direction.

21 minutes ago, Tammy's right foot said:

On a serious note though Madrid won nothing the year they bought Kaka, Ronaldo, Benzema and Xabi Alonso. Let's not pile on the expectations right away. As Jose would have said our team right now is a baby 'orse that needs milk and support of the fans. Should turn into a premium mustang in the coming seasons but for now lets enjoy what we are witnessing at the club for the first time in a long time; the management, players and the board all pulling in the same direction.

True, but then the manager was Pelligrini, who never won much.  And they did get 96 point, 2nd by 3 points (and he was sacked for a better manager).
And the baby horse got 82 points, 4 points off 1st.  

Expectations will still be high.  Even if it was right for JM and the club to downplay them with the pony stuff at the time.

22 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

And the baby horse got 82 points, 4 points off 1st.  

That baby horse would have won the league if Levy had sold us Modric that one transfer window. Even with our less than stellar strike force.

That squad was much further down the line than we are now though (rebuild wise). We'd already spent 2 summer transfer windows by that time in refreshing the team. By the time Jose arrived Mata, Hazard, Azpi and Oscar (our most talented players) were already established first teamers with at least one season in the prem.

Expectations will be high of course but anything about 80 points is good enough IMO. 85+ would be an excellent season

1 hour ago, Tammy's right foot said:

That squad was much further down the line than we are now though (rebuild wise). We'd already spent 2 summer transfer windows by that time in refreshing the team. By the time Jose arrived Mata, Hazard, Azpi and Oscar (our most talented players) were already established first teamers with at least one season in the prem.

We also cleared out one hell of a lot of players.  Cole, Lampard, Mata, just tons of them.  Something we don't seem to be able to do anymore.

paulw66   
5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

We also cleared out one hell of a lot of players.  Cole, Lampard, Mata, just tons of them.  Something we don't seem to be able to do anymore.

?

Pedro and Willian say hello. 

And am sure there will be others in the coming weeks

Personally, I think we are two additions away from mounting an outside tilt at the title.

If we sign Declan Rice and add a GK then we can challenge as outsiders of the main three challengers.

Just to add, I am not claiming Rice to be this great player that walks into the team and nor do I think he is worth £50-£70 million.

I just think his versatility and his style of play , organisation and leadership skill as a young English player would be a massive asset.

Majority of West Ham people I know who have watched Rice closely over the years, think CB is his best position. I think our interest is with the view of playing him at CB. 

This gives options in a back four, whilst his ability of the ball gives really good options on the ball in a back three. Whilst if played in midfield, then he is a genuine holding midfielder. He won’t be interested in getting forward, he will plug gaps but have recovery speed and physicality to break up play when required.

I was originally sceptical on Rice, but that’s due to more pressing matters needing surgery first. We have now done that this window, if we can add Rice to this squad now. I think he could make a big enough impact to take us from top 4 candidate, to mounting a genuine title challenge over the next 2 seasons.