Sir

Official: Malang Sarr Signs And Goes To Porto On Loan

45 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I mean, these numbers are just made up.

Well of course they are - but so is the £15m valuation.
£15m transfer fee and £40k a week would be consistent.  So if he is available for free then £60k to £80k a week sounds low to me.

I have no idea what the starting point is (how good he is).  But you can be sure his agent does and so do other clubs.

45 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I mean, these numbers are just made up.

when people talk about Morata and Costa being sold at £50m, you laugh it off. 

Edit - and no idea what you mean by 8 years, when the guy signs a 5 year deal 

All we really know is that we don't know these numbers and who ever  first said £50m was not making a statement on behalf of Chelsea or AM.
It isn't just right to challenge those numbers - it is right to reject them out of hand.  

8 years - Piazon and still counting. (over 9 if you include the pre-contract).

Edited by Droy was my hero

2 hours ago, paulw66 said:

I wouldn't even go that far.

The other examples were players bought for the first team on big money and wages. This is entirely different. I can't imagine his wages are anything close to those others.

Moreover, the fact that there are / were other clubs interested in signing him would indicate we wont have much problem finding a taker. 

In the long term, even if we are loaning him for 2 or 3 years, and covering part of his wages, even if he turns into a £5m or £10m player then we'll have no problem recouping the outlay. It's not like we have spent £30m and are paying him 100k a week 

Some of my other examples were bought for the first team, yes. Not all though. We have to ask ourselves why Kenedy is earning a Chelsea wage still. And in a sense, that doesn't really matter; the issue with the likes of Bakayoko and Bats is that they're earning 2nd or 3rd tier (notionally and in terms of club sizes and expectations, I'm not talking about specific leagues) money while playing at a 5th or 6th tier level. The teams playing at that level can't pay the higher money. We can pay Sarr 5th or 6th tier wages and so the outlay be less, but he still needs to perform at least at the corresponding level to be sellable. Does the loan project (seemingly and happily imo dead for several years now) suggest we fair any better overall with players bought to most likely sell on than we do with players bought to play? Not as far as I can see; I could easily have listed the likes of Piazon, Nathan, Wallace etc.

Why would clubs who were interested now and couldn't get him when there wasn't a fee involved be able to get him in a few years time when they have give us £5-10m and match or equal a wage we have to assume they couldn't compete with now? And in a likely general and football-specific recession? Seems an incredible leap to me.

I haven't said that signing Sarr is a particularly expensive or dangerous risk. I've just said that it is a risk, and it isn't this no-brainer, win-win that has been asserted here and elsewhere. It's win-win-lose-lose; hopefully we get a player we can use and if not maybe we get a player we can profit on, but a player we sell for a loss or have to pay for 5 years (or worse give a new sunk cost fallacy contract to) without using are both equally plausible possible outcomes. I think it would be unwise to have gone into negotiations with that second possible win in mind at all; what I'd hope for is we firmly had the first win in mind and were so confident about it being realised the other 3 outcomes were acceptable. 

Edited by thevelourfog

On 8/28/2020 at 1:09 PM, Mark Kelly said:

Oh Yeah , lol , what a berk !

Whenever I feel a bit stupid and bit unconfident I go to YouTube and watch Dianes best bits. Wonder what team she supports.....Christ not ours is it????

Sir   

Anyone been keeping an eye out on Porto? Sarr seems to of only made very few appearances for them.

Bison   

Looks really good on the ball from what I've seen so far tonight (albeit 40 mins of action).

Seems a capable athlete as well although not the biggest.

Has anybody been keeping an eye on him?

39 minutes ago, Bison said:

Looks really good on the ball from what I've seen so far tonight (albeit 40 mins of action).

He did have a couple of really poor passes that lost possession. The one across midfield that allowed a counter was particularly dangerous. However, he does look serviceable. 

Not seen enough of him to really make a judgement but I imagine he will fall into the category of CB5/6 (if we keep 3atb) or one of those players that end up forever loaned. That said, he is only 21/22 so still got a lot of scope. 

paulw66   
On 02/01/2021 at 9:24 PM, Sir said:

Anyone been keeping an eye out on Porto? Sarr seems to of only made very few appearances for them.

12 hours ago, Bison said:

12 hours ago, King Kante said:

He did have a couple of really poor passes that lost possession. The one across midfield that allowed a counter was particularly dangerous. However, he does look serviceable. 

Not seen enough of him to really make a judgement but I imagine he will fall into the category of CB5/6 (if we keep 3atb) or one of those players that end up forever loaned. That said, he is only 21/22 so still got a lot of scope. 

Not played a huge amount. 

My nephew watched them the other day and said Piazon had him on toast.........bit of a worry! 

12 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Not played a huge amount. 

My nephew watched them the other day and said Piazon had him on toast.........bit of a worry! 

look on the bright side, if he's pony there is always some mug to hand over wonga...  Remember we got 8m for Papy Djilobodji

6 hours ago, RobertoftheGiz said:

look on the bright side, if he's pony there is always some mug to hand over wonga...  Remember we got 8m for Papy Djilobodji

I think those days are long gone.