King Kante

Champions League 2020/21

paulw66   
35 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Ask a stupid question time...I watched this for the first time today and I was left wondering how they could be sure that the last two teams would not be impossible due to being in the same association or group? (I feel like I am missing something obvious).

good point, and I don't know, other than I am convinced it is completely wrigged.

If you ever doubt the validity of these things, go on YouTube and search for Javier Zanetti Champions League draw. 

56 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Ask a stupid question time...I watched this for the first time today and I was left wondering how they could be sure that the last two teams would not be impossible due to being in the same association or group? (I feel like I am missing something obvious).

Yes this is the nub of the question.
Ask if they can be fixed and you will be told that no - everything is shown on screen.
Ask how they avoid impossible draws - and the answer is that everything is fixed in advance.

Yes there is an algorithm that avoids impossible draws.  But don't say anything or people will work out that it can be used to fix the draw in many ways.

20 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Presume they have found a cleverer way to do this now.

There is also the one in 5000 chance draw that the performed exactly in the dress rehearsal and in the draw itself.

Sir   

Nightmare draw.

Is it just me, or do Man City (generally) somehow always get easy draws in the group and at knockout? I’m talking this competition and the English ones..

Absolute disaster of a draw, with the way they play and set up I would say they were the worst match up for us of any of the other 15 that qualified, apart from Bayern. 

paulw66   
32 minutes ago, Sir said:

Nightmare draw.

Is it just me, or do Man City (generally) somehow always get easy draws in the group and at knockout? I’m talking this competition and the English ones..

Always. And city still never get through

Sciatika   
1 hour ago, paulw66 said:

good point, and I don't know, other than I am convinced it is completely wrigged.

If you ever doubt the validity of these things, go on YouTube and search for Javier Zanetti Champions League draw. 

1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

Yes this is the nub of the question.
Ask if they can be fixed and you will be told that no - everything is shown on screen.
Ask how they avoid impossible draws - and the answer is that everything is fixed in advance.

Yes there is an algorithm that avoids impossible draws.  But don't say anything or people will work out that it can be used to fix the draw in many ways.

I think they pre-draw the possibilities on a computer before the event (because of the compute time involved) and then use those results to avoid invalid draws as the draw proceeds by defining the balls that can be in the draw for each runner-up. If that is right, then it is not a random draw per se but neither is it fixed except in the ways it has to be fixed into order to produce a valid solution. I wish my maths were better!

1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I think they pre-draw the possibilities on a computer before the event (because of the compute time involved) and then use those results to avoid invalid draws as the draw proceeds by defining the balls that can be in the draw for each runner-up. If that is right, then it is not a random draw per se but neither is it fixed except in the ways it has to be fixed into order to produce a valid solution. I wish my maths were better!

Yes I am sure they use methods to prevent certain outcomes happening - like all non-English clubs being drawn out first leaving only 4 English clubs left over.
And indeed it never happens that they have to start again.
But ask "why does Barca always get an easy opponent?" and the answer is - it is entirely random.

chelboy   

Horrible draw. The way we play is perfect for them. I wanted a team that was going to come at us. They are very good at defending crosses and wide areas. PSG, Barca, Bayern and Atletico have been our last 4 draws in R16. Nice one Uefa!