Sir

Official: Thomas Tuchel Appointed New Chelsea Head Coach

Tuchel: "If you are the coach of Chelsea and concede six goals in three matches and give away four leads, then I don't want to talk about individual performances. No one can be happy, nobody."

22 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Tuchel: "If you are the coach of Chelsea and concede six goals in three matches and give away four leads, then I don't want to talk about individual performances. No one can be happy, nobody."

Was there a clean sheet  between West Ham and Zenith?

2 hours ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Even if Christensen does sign, we will be very light in that area of the squad come the summer because it's very likely Rudiger and Azpi will be gone, which leaves us with Christensen, Silva, Chalobah and Sarr and Silva will be turning 38 in September, Sarr isn't really good enough (IMO) and Chalobah is still relatively inexperienced at this level. We would need to bring in at least 2 high-quality players and won't have any transfer funds from Rudiger to help achieve it.

The Hungary coach was recently quoted saying he thought his player Atilla Salazai (fenerbache player) to us is a done deal. Chalobah coming through is a bonus. Rudiger is going to be almost impossible to replace, not cheap anyway. It makes no financial sense from the club not to re-sign him so I can only imagine there are other reasons he doesn't want to sign. Hope Azpi signs on otherwise we will be looking for a RB too, it will be hard to find a quality player knowing Reece James has the position sewn up.

3 hours ago, Lump Of Celery said:

The Hungary coach was recently quoted saying he thought his player Atilla Salazai (fenerbache player) to us is a done deal. Chalobah coming through is a bonus. Rudiger is going to be almost impossible to replace, not cheap anyway. It makes no financial sense from the club not to re-sign him so I can only imagine there are other reasons he doesn't want to sign. Hope Azpi signs on otherwise we will be looking for a RB too, it will be hard to find a quality player knowing Reece James has the position sewn up.

The Fenerbahce head coach has since dismissed that rumour.

GURJ SS   

Notice: I'm going to use numbers to rate our players, but I'm really not doing the computer game thing, so hopefully I can avoid it coming across like that.

There's two key parts of football that are the difference between a team that's consistently at the top, or not. Every team has a run of good form, and all that does is make the team as a whole rely less on the two key parts. The 2 key parts are all based around players and their percentages to achieve what is expected off of them; for example: how often out of 100 times can a defender win their 1v1 battle and how often can an attacker win their 1v1 battle. This doesn't necessarily mean dominating their opponent at that time but how often they can deal with the obstacle(opposition player) in front of them. The game is controlled through the middle but there's a reason I'm leaving our CMs out of this, and that's because they spend most of their time in-between these two key parts, what they contribute to is how often these key situations(parts) take place, in relation to a defender the less the better, for an attacker the more the better (so basically higher possession or brilliant organisation skills depending on style of play); the system in which we set up our 2 CMs are removed from this more than if we were playing 3 CMs, because in a 3 most of the time at least 2 of them will have a specific role focused towards either defence or attack, and our's float in between it all rather than one way or the other. The higher the percentage the more effective a player is, the lower the less, I'll be including our wingbacks in both parts as they cover both areas; particularly more in part 2 compared to a conventional fullback system.

Note: just my personal opinion of each player, but I'm hoping everyone here can put their own numbers together and see if they feel the squad as a whole is good enough or/and if we have enough individual talent to be consistently at the top level; especially in key areas where you can become isolated with hardly anyone around you (LCB, RCB, LWB, RWB), or when they've isolated the opposition (LAM, RAM, CF), where as the CB, and both CMs are more link and support players in our particular system (the CB has some 1v1 moments but is more a sweeper than a constant marker). This is more based around when isolated as the 'last man' around, or in the case of an attacker being able to get the ball into a player or area that hurts the opposition in some way by beating the opposition's last man; either through a key pass, dribbling or using pace. So out of 100, how often they can achieve their goal of being decisive in an attack to turn defence into attack, it's not about the quality of a player but more about consistency; some achieve it due to their skills and some due to their speed, but attributes are irrelevant and it's more about consistently being decisive in either a defending or attacking scenario. I'm going to pick 2 defenders and 2 attackers from our past on opposite sides of the spectrum to use as bases.

Defenders: 

A.Cole: 99 defending - 85 attacking

Del Horno : 50 defending - 60 attacking

Attackers:

Hazard - 98

Shurrle - 60

Key part 1: From a defender's perspective can they avoid their team losing shape, becoming flat footed or having to defend while running towards their own goals.

Rudi - 95

Sarr - 70

Chris - 77

Chalo - 73

Dave - 92

James - 82

Chilwell - 81

Alonso - 68

Key part 2: From an attacker's perspective can they cause the opposition to lose shape, defend on the backfoot or while running towards their own goals.

Dave - 40

James - 57

Chilwell - 50

Alonso - 54

Mount - 78

Ziyech - 64

Pulisic - 77

CHO - 75

Havertz - 79

Werner - 67

Lukaku - 83

Summary: Ideally the numbers for me should be at least mostly in the 80's for both defenders and attackers; anything in the 90's is what makes you a killer instinct team, and I believe we lack that on a huge scale compared to previous teams; for example I'll name a few players in the 90's from our past that made us elite level: to add to A.Cole and Hazard - JT, Ivan, Robben, Drogba.

In defence I think the reason we go with 3 at the back is because we have to, we can probably pick Rudi and Silva(because he's ridiculously good experience and skillwise 98) but then we'd drop drastically in levels if someone else came in, and the whole system would have to be changed. This does affect our attack with a man less, so I will give leeway of some sort to our attackers but I believe they simply either don't have the quality or can't deliver it consistently enough at the moment due to age/development; or they never will because they're beyond their 'development age'.

If we have a team with majority 80+ and 2-3 90+ players in both defence and attack we'd be a top elite level team, but even without the overall 4-6 90+ players it's still possible as long as you have enough 85+ players. We have none in attack and are extremely lucky we have 3 in defence at the moment - some of our best performances over the past 12 months have come when Rudi, Silva and Dave were our back 3. At the moment we've got some great potential, but we've got nothing near in terms of a squad for what it takes to challenge consistently for the title. Plus we have wingbacks who just can't give us consistent threat, James being an exception this season but more due to a run of form; for example none of our wingbacks give us what Moses gave us, and recently when Pulisic played RWB it showed how much difference an attacking wingback can make as he was able to help the RAM overload the opposition's wing.

So... We're in a catch 22 in some ways. It reminds me of a time when we had Hazard(90+), Willian(85+), De Bruyne(75) and Salah (70), and we chose to keep the players we needed for instant success and got rid of the developing players. At the moment we don't have any 85+ players, so do we go get some or wait for 70+ players to come good? That for me is where we're at right now, my concern is I can't see most of our 70s players ever reaching the 80s, let alone 85+, which is the disadvantage they have over players like KDB and Salah. I won't ignore our recent success we've had, and we've had loads of it, thing is last season we were in a sort of reactive situation, teams had to beat us and Tuchel was able to set up so our great defending ability became a sort of slingshot to boost our attack. This year we're having to play on the front foot as CL champions and attack more which means our attackers aren't countering anymore as much but having to face up against opposition players 1v1; and simply aren't able to produce. Jose once said, a team with the ball is more likely to make a mistake than without it, and I think we make so many huge mistakes with it that the inevitable happens; we concede because the opposition builds momentum from our failures. Nobody needs to double up to stop our attacking players on a regular basis, the only one that gets crowded out is Lukaku; the reason is because his power and momentum alone causes 1 player far too many problems. The rest of our team can be stopped with just 1 opposition player far too often, and that's our single biggest problem. Personally I think Tuchel is already making this team overachieve more often than not, and his CL trophy was a far more significant win than Roberto's. I can see Tuchel becoming increasingly frustrated if we don't bring in higher calibre players soon, there's one thing bringing in players who need developing, but it's entirely different when too many of them don't reach the level that they were expected to reach; and leave the manager short of quality.

Edited by GURJ SS

10 hours ago, GURJ SS said:

At the moment we don't have any 85+ players, so do we go get some or wait for 70+ players to come good? That for me is where we're at right now, my concern is I can't see most of our 70s players ever reaching the 80s, let alone 85+,

Players can develop and improve if played in their correct positions.

TT continually moving player around is not IMO  the best way of optimising their performance.

Edited by Freeboot-Rightz

Ham   
1 hour ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

Players can develop and improve if played in their correct positions.

TT continually moving player around is not IMO  the best way of optimising their performance.

Why do you think he's moving players around? For the fun of it? 

Don't you think he'd like to play the best players in their best positions? He's being forced to go 4 at the back due to a lack of defenders, not through choice. Alonso and Azpi are exhausted. 

Blaming TT for the availability of players is daft. 

7 hours ago, Ham said:

Why do you think he's moving players around? For the fun of it? 

Don't you think he'd like to play the best players in their best positions? He's being forced to go 4 at the back due to a lack of defenders, not through choice. Alonso and Azpi are exhausted. 

Blaming TT for the availability of players is daft. 

Who blamed TT for the availability of players???

The question is why continue trying to play players e.g. Pulisic in a WB position when it is obvious to all that he is not suited to that position.

Why is he being force to go to a back 4? Personally I think it more of a plan B

If you wan to hang your hat on injuries and covid so be it, however IMO the teams selected against the likes of everton, burnley and brighton were far superior and should have been 9 points in the bank and not 3.

5 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

Who blamed TT for the availability of players???

The question is why continue trying to play players e.g. Pulisic in a WB position when it is obvious to all that he is not suited to that position.

Why is he being force to go to a back 4? Personally I think it more of a plan B

If you wan to hang your hat on injuries and covid so be it, however IMO the teams selected against the likes of everton, burnley and brighton were far superior and should have been 9 points in the bank and not 3.

Maybe it's because both first choice wing-backs are injured, one back-up wing-back sometimes has to play at centre-back and the other needs a rest from time to time? Or maybe TT just likes winding you up for the hell of it?