JaneB

Chelsea Women

Recommended Posts

JaneB   
1 hour ago, asvaberg said:

Congratulations to the Chelsea ladies and their representatives in the Lionesses. England's first trophy since 1966! 

If you want a job doing…………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ham   
59 minutes ago, JaneB said:

If you want a job doing…………..

.............Get rid of Gareth Southgate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was at the final yesterday, absolutely lovely to be surrounded by so many children (and especially girls) taking it in. I have a lot of respect for how England did it; they came up against better footballers but had a real never-say-die work ethic that triumphed. Hope the interest is sustained and I see fuller crowds at Kingsmeadow next season. A full Stamford Bridge for the West Ham game 11 September would be a start!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
21 hours ago, Ham said:

.............Get rid of Gareth Southgate 

I love Gareth Southgate 🤣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   
On 01/08/2022 at 9:00 AM, thevelourfog said:

 A full Stamford Bridge for the West Ham game 11 September would be a start!

Done my bit. Tickets booked for me and Mrs R.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   

First off..Incredibly pleased for the Lioness achievement..and impressed..ditto for the Chelsea Ladies or maybe even more so...a League Campaign is usually a better guide than a Cup run.

Having said that I offer a cautionary comment without a bias.

When I first arrived here the USA Ladies had just won the WC.... I got fed up with the comments made to me regarding the Victory as if a New World Order was rising!...especially from some who really only understood it was a different shaped ball used.

A new Pro League was formed with great fanfare but once the euphoria had died so did the Pro League.

Things have improved now but as mentioned Soccer is a lesser sport here and not exactly a direct correlation but...

I appreciate that the UK attitude towards the game is better informed and there is a deeper interest the game but from a distance some things stand out for me and as an earlier poster mentioned Wembley had a large contingent of young girls ..a good thing but hardly the source of income unless Dad/Mum takes them to games.

I used to watch and enjoy College Ladies Soccer so am not a Football Luddite but last season among other games I watched an Arse v someone game..... it was not exactly a feast of football and even if I put that down to the difference between a scintillating International Tournament and a run of the mill league grinding out a result game there is a drop off spectator satisfaction.

We as hardened Chelsea Faithfull know how to take the often rough with the smooth.

Will any new watchers of the Media Driven Frenzy game feel the same emotional connection on a long term?

Given the tug of war between watching,in our case, Chelsea at SB or the Ladies at Kingsmead,on a regular basis..what would be the first choice,,(sometimes I know!).... TV coverage could/will help that issue of course.

Club based development leads to International success and although the National teams success gives an impetus  it is the development of the game and players that leads to progress not the other way round

I truly wish the development of the game well and hope for the future but lets step back from the ,again, Media driven frenzy   and hope for a lasting development in the Ladies Game not a Soda Pop fizz that steps out  far too quickly with less than solid roots..In January a full'ish Kingsmead is better than a small gathering rattling around at SB if you see my point.

Again..Great deserved days for the Ladies. Now..about Gareth Jane..........

Edited by chara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruudboy   
2 hours ago, chara said:

I appreciate that the UK attitude towards the game is better informed and there is a deeper interest the game but from a distance some things stand out for me and as an earlier poster mentioned Wembley had a large contingent of young girls ..a good thing but hardly the source of income unless Dad/Mum takes them to games.

Well, Chara, we don’t help ourselves - for the kids - or for the two old fossils that are Mrs R (don’t tell her I said that) and myself - it’s £1 at the ends and £2 at the sides. So it hardly threatens the bottomless pit that constitutes pocket money these days …. and it hardly adds more than a token to CFC’s coffers. Why do we charge so little? Surely it’s worth a fiver? I was so embarrassed to take advantage of Todd’s largesse that her upstairs and I will go ladedah and sit in the posh seats - still only £45, and you get a free beer and a prawn sarny at half time!

Nothing wrong with getting them in young, anyway - it’s how we blokes got trapped into the addiction all those decades ago … and how the lasses’ game has progressed over the last decade. I doubt it’ll take over from the men’s game, but at least - at last - it’s watchable. And it does mean my daughter might once again accompany her old man to games….

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
21 minutes ago, Ruudboy said:

Well, Chara, we don’t help ourselves - for the kids - or for the two old fossils that are Mrs R (don’t tell her I said that) and myself - it’s £1 at the ends and £2 at the sides. So it hardly threatens the bottomless pit that constitutes pocket money these days …. and it hardly adds more than a token to CFC’s coffers. Why do we charge so little? Surely it’s worth a fiver? I was so embarrassed to take advantage of Todd’s largesse that her upstairs and I will go ladedah and sit in the posh seats - still only £45, and you get a free beer and a prawn sarny at half time!

Nothing wrong with getting them in young, anyway - it’s how we blokes got trapped into the addiction all those decades ago … and how the lasses’ game has progressed over the last decade. I doubt it’ll take over from the men’s game, but at least - at last - it’s watchable. And it does mean my daughter might once again accompany her old man to games….

Quick edit..cheaper behind the goal?...always went to the Shed and at times..when it was still possible,,changed ends to get behind the goal Chelsea were attacking...but then I suppose they did attack!

I'm all for it.... wanted to comment on your post but sort of rambled off somewhere! (Not for the first time as we have discussed!)

Great prices...the olde memory of a ten bob note on a Saturday from Home to SB and back  program and a bag of chips. Sigh..prawn sarny..never even knew what that was,,,the welks and winkle cart at the corner of Kingsbury Rd and Edgware Rd,,the old Red Lion..long gone I'm told, was about as close.

I do hope for the future and wish the game well...Viva La Difference.

Not sure what happened with blocked bit!

Edited by chara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JaneB   
On 02/08/2022 at 4:21 PM, chara said:

 

. Now..about Gareth Jane..........

I like Gareth very much as a person.  I'm not saying he's a great manager unfortunately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
13 minutes ago, JaneB said:

I like Gareth very much as a person.  I'm not saying he's a great manager unfortunately.

Ah.... as ever the kindest poster on here.

Now.about that guy who has just gone to Como........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now