CarefreeMuratcan

European Super League

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, exiledblue said:

he is done, dont think a team that thinks its a ESL level will accept this season

The smart thing Napoli or Chelsea should have done when Juve sacked Sarri is now the smart think Juve should do.
They won't, because...   ... well they'll invent some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/57190689

I like Leeds and I like the way their owners is talking.

Leeds like Newcastle are sleeping giants. Newcastle will never wake up under Ashley but Leeds seem to be. They can replace Spurs in the big 6.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Worsebytheday said:

Good for them.  UEFA is just a big bluff with a dodgy legal status as a cartel.  I can't see how the current UEFA is anymore legal than teh proposed ESL, it just has better optics.

 

This from the BBC piece is interesting.
 

Quote

In a statement released on Tuesday, Uefa said: "Following an investigation conducted by Uefa ethics and disciplinary inspectors in connection with the so-called 'Super League' project, disciplinary proceedings have been opened against Real Madrid, Barcelona and Juventus for a potential violation of Uefa's legal framework.

"Further information will be made available in due course."

The other nine clubs involved - Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur, AC Milan, Inter Milan and Atletico Madrid - have been punished by European football's governing body for their participation.

They have agreed to make a combined 15m euro (£13.4m) goodwill contribution to benefit children's and grassroots football across Europe.

They will also have 5% of Uefa competition revenues withheld for one season, starting in 2023-24, and this money will be redistributed, including in the UK.

Each has also committed to Uefa and its competitions, with the clubs facing fines of 100m euros (£86.9m) apiece if they seek to join an unauthorised competition in the future. They will be fined half that if they breach any other terms of the declaration.

Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who was appointed as chairman of the ESL, recently said that the 12 clubs that agreed to join the project have "binding contracts" and "cannot leave".


So much like PSG/City over FFP the 9 have agreed token gesture punishments to maintain the UEFA fiction that they have genuine power to punish.
"I'll pretend to smack your wrist, you'll pretend I can".
Somehow I suspect that "agreed" Eur 100m fines would be subject to legal appeal so are pretend money, not real.  

I do wish that The Prem would go international and accept the other ESL teams.  It is the smart way to get the best football league possible, while maintaining competent and expert management, and an open league system.  If say Barca got relegated they could chose to stay in the Championship for as long as it takes or they could go home to Spain (well the Catalan league anyway).  And Leicester would have as much chance of becoming a big 12 club as Spurs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
chara   
1 hour ago, Michael Tucker said:

Wash your mouth out! 

Took the words out of my...no need to wash out...mouth!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Michael Tucker said:

Wash your mouth out! 

duly washed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Good for them.  UEFA is just a big bluff with a dodgy legal status as a cartel.  I can't see how the current UEFA is anymore legal than teh proposed ESL, it just has better optics.

 

This from the BBC piece is interesting.
 


So much like PSG/City over FFP the 9 have agreed token gesture punishments to maintain the UEFA fiction that they have genuine power to punish.
"I'll pretend to smack your wrist, you'll pretend I can".
Somehow I suspect that "agreed" Eur 100m fines would be subject to legal appeal so are pretend money, not real.  

I do wish that The Prem would go international and accept the other ESL teams.  It is the smart way to get the best football league possible, while maintaining competent and expert management, and an open league system.  If say Barca got relegated they could chose to stay in the Championship for as long as it takes or they could go home to Spain (well the Catalan league anyway).  And Leicester would have as much chance of becoming a big 12 club as Spurs.

But wouldnt that have the same impact as the ESL in destroying their national leagues. What is la liga without Barca RM and Atletico, what is serie a without the Milan teams and Juve. Those leagues would die because there is very little after them.

Maybe we could invite them in to the existing FA cup format (make them qualify from August rounds!) as long as they dont leave their own cup competitions to do so. Imagine Boston drawing Barca away......Maybe not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

But wouldnt that have the same impact as the ESL in destroying their national leagues. What is la liga without Barca RM and Atletico, what is serie a without the Milan teams and Juve. Those leagues would die because there is very little after them.

I'm not saying it is a perfect solution, or that a perfect solution exists.

But I think there is a demand for pan Euro football at the top level, that the CL is a poor way to do it, and that Spanish and French leagues in particular are awful places for Barca and RM and PSG to be sitting.

Yes my personal interest is in seeing a super league, and I don't care much for feeder leagues.  But yes, I can see you or others might have the opposite view.  
Which is why I started that para with I do wish.

Note - of course one approach that might suit you better is to apply PL methods to other leagues to make them more competitive.  La LIga selling TV rights for example instead of Barca and RM selling their own for some 80%+ of the total TV share.  That would kill Barca and RM though as Eurocompetitors.  We'd have a CL dominated by the English.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm not saying it is a perfect solution, or that a perfect solution exists.

But I think there is a demand for pan Euro football at the top level, that the CL is a poor way to do it, and that Spanish and French leagues in particular are awful places for Barca and RM and PSG to be sitting.

Yes my personal interest is in seeing a super league, and I don't care much for feeder leagues.  But yes, I can see you or others might have the opposite view.  
Which is why I started that para with I do wish.

Note - of course one approach that might suit you better is to apply PL methods to other leagues to make them more competitive.  La LIga selling TV rights for example instead of Barca and RM selling their own for some 80%+ of the total TV share.  That would kill Barca and RM though as Eurocompetitors.  We'd have a CL dominated by the English.

isn't pan euro football already here? We call in Champions League, Europa league and this ghastly waste of time called Conference league. They really need a shake up. I would like to see it being only champions in the champion league. League and cup winners only and then the Europa league being a best of the rest solution but certainly the format that exists needs refreshing to fight off another rich breakaway possibility. More is not always better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now