CarefreeMuratcan

European Super League

RDCW   

I think a European Super League is coming and is a good idea. It just can't be a closed shop.

It would probably have to be a midweek season long European Super League with a play off or knockout competition at the end. It would have to have fewer teams and perhaps have its own system of promotion / relegation within a European context although clearly there would have to be some access link to domestic leagues. 

That system would allow for a parallel European League pyramid, but preserve the integrity of the stronger domestic leagues.

13 minutes ago, exiledblue said:

isn't pan euro football already here? We call in Champions League, Europa league and this ghastly waste of time called Conference league. They really need a shake up. I would like to see it being only champions in the champion league. League and cup winners only and then the Europa league being a best of the rest solution but certainly the format that exists needs refreshing to fight off another rich breakaway possibility. More is not always better.

Well I'd say EL and below are both a waste of time (at least for most TV viewers, as an exercise for EL level teams it might have similar uses to a pre-season tournament.

And of the (my rough count) 211 games in this years CL, only 109* are of equivalent level to a PL game.
Games equivalent to a top 6 PL clash?  Probably only a dozen of so.
That compares to 380 PL level PL games, and 30 top 6 PL level games amongst the top 6.  (I mean the real top 6, not Spurs and Arsenal).

Champions only is a dreadful solution - as most of the top 15 teams in Europe would be excluded  (if they are the top 2 in DE, 1 in France, 3 in Spain, 6 in UK, 3 in Italy, only 5 would be in).  I don't see the Dutch or Portugese champions being in the top 15 in many years.  And you include half a dozen teams from former Yugoslavia....)

Just as a reminder of how Champions only works out:
Notts Forest European cup route 1979 & 1980.  The only big name of the lot was in the first round  (even then the UEFA hot and cold ball system was working!)

1978–79 European Cup First round England Liverpool 2–0 0–0 2–0
Second round Greece AEK Athens 5–1 2–1 7–2
Quarter Final Switzerland Grasshopper 4–1 1–1 5–2
Semi Final West Germany Köln 3–3 1–0 4–3
Final Sweden Malmö FF 1–0

1979–80 European Cup First round Sweden Öster 2–0 1–1 3–1
Second round Romania Argeş Piteşti 2–0 2–1 4–1
Quarter Final East Germany Dynamo Berlin 0–1 3–1 3–2
Semi Final Netherlands Ajax 2–0 0–1 2–1
Final West Germany Hamburg 1–0

*My estimate based on no pre-group game, or group games involving the 4th seed.

18 minutes ago, RDC Williams said:

I think a European Super League is coming and is a good idea. It just can't be a closed shop.

It would probably have to be a midweek season long European Super League with a play off or knockout competition at the end. It would have to have fewer teams and perhaps have its own system of promotion / relegation within a European context although clearly there would have to be some access link to domestic leagues. 

That system would allow for a parallel European League pyramid, but preserve the integrity of the stronger domestic leagues.

That requires someone in domestic football to agree to reduce the number of matches in order to make space for more continental football, but you don't see the Premier League, FA or EFL rushing to downsize their competitions in order to make this space.

7 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

That requires someone in domestic football to agree to reduce the number of matches in order to make space for more continental football, but you don't see the Premier League, FA or EFL rushing to downsize their competitions in order to make this space.

Well in England you could cut out the LC, and there is no issue for any other country as 50%+ of their games are against weak oppo.
Everyone gets to play either Barca or RM, PSG or BM, City or United, Chelsea or Arsenal WestHam.
No one dropping out after 6 games, no one playing endlessly in the EL  

In the CL you can cut out the 4th teams in each group.  That gives you 24 teams not 32.  2 x 12 man groups with all play all but once only.
Then Semis for the top 2 in each group, lets say 2-leg semis and 1-leg final.
That is a maximum of 14 CL games for any team.  We are about to play our 13th CL game on Saturday.  EL winners play 15 (assuming the play no qualifiers).

But it would be 137 top games in the season and much more fun IMO for the viewers.

I reckon that is doable without cutting the LC.  
The issue is that the UEFA board is voted for by FAs with one vote each.  And the little countries want their moments of fun to fill up the calendar of the big teams.

RDCW   
31 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Yes, there are definitely wrinkles. Maybe a slightly longer season and an acceptance that you play twice a week for a fairly extended period. Also perhaps some flexibility on cup competitions. The main problem is devising a system which facilitates entry to the ESL if you are going to have a European league pyramid (which would be needed if you want the votes of the lesser FAs). You would need to use a blend of domestic and European form/position to facilitate accession/promotion/relegation in the European leagues, which would inevitably be flawed, but perhaps no more so than the existing system.

Edited by RDC Williams

3 hours ago, RDC Williams said:

Yes, there are definitely wrinkles. Maybe a slightly longer season and an acceptance that you play twice a week for a fairly extended period. Also perhaps some flexibility on cup competitions. The main problem is devising a system which facilitates entry to the ESL if you are going to have a European league pyramid (which would be needed if you want the votes of the lesser FAs). You would need to use a blend of domestic and European form/position to facilitate accession/promotion/relegation in the European leagues, which would inevitably be flawed, but perhaps no more so than the existing system.

Difficult to extend the season with FIFA keep introducing competitions. Nations league was brought in to do away with so many pointless internationals but they now have pointless internationals to prepare for that. Even over paid footballers need some down time.

5 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

Just as a reminder of how Champions only works out:

Just occurred - a Champions only CL is like Eurovision where 22 countries has been upped to 39 countries over the years.