Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaneB

Manchester City 0 CHELSEA 1 CHAMPIONS LEAGUE WINNERS 2020/21

Playing devil's advocate, I don't think UEFA's decision can be based on the travel plans of dignitaries or sponsors but more on staff. They send hundreds of people to work in a stadium for a final and there's no way they could send them all 10 days in advance as required by UK quarantine. You can't expect the final to be run by all UK-based staff.

With no quarantine exception from the government, there's no chance the final could take place at Wembley. Portugal's authorities have obviously been more amenable (as they were last year) at who knows what cost to their country.

7 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

Playing devil's advocate, I don't think UEFA's decision can be based on the travel plans of dignitaries or sponsors but more on staff. They send hundreds of people to work in a stadium for a final and there's no way they could send them all 10 days in advance as required by UK quarantine. You can't expect the final to be run by all UK-based staff.

With no quarantine exception from the government, there's no chance the final could take place at Wembley. Portugal's authorities have obviously been more amenable (as they were last year) at who knows what cost to their country.

Maybe but this boils down to how many of the 2000 of so UEFA people are necessary staff and how many are freeloaders.
As I understand it, the UK was willing to make concessions on limited numbers genuinely necessary staff.
And stadium staff would certainly be locals as woould TV staff.
So a UEFA committee, a full PR team, a reffing team of say 10, and commentary teams of say 100.
Who else?

Ham   
31 minutes ago, chiswickblue said:

The government specifically stated that they would have made concessions for as many necessary individuals as possible but that they simply couldn't break Covid policy for 2000.

UEFA used this as a get-out whilst officially stating that they really wanted to hold the final at Wembley because of their love for the fans.

Daily Mail reporting , in and out in 24 hrs , no holidays , club sponsored travel only .

For the fans , obvs .

Ham   
4 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

Daily Mail reporting , in and out in 24 hrs , no holidays , club sponsored travel only .

For the fans , obvs .

Natch. 

29 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

For the fans , obvs .

Me and my Dad did day trips for Moscow (+ my Uncle) and Baku. I did a day trip for Nou Camp with some mates in 2018. Personally we are focused on the football, not fussed about making a holiday out of it. Though back in the 90s/00 my Dad did make holidays out of our CWC and CL runs. 

paulw66   
16 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Me and my Dad did day trips for Moscow (+ my Uncle) and Baku. I did a day trip for Nou Camp with some mates in 2018. Personally we are focused on the football, not fussed about making a holiday out of it. Though back in the 90s/00 my Dad did make holidays out of our CWC and CL runs. 

Nice to have the option though. Particularly somewhere like Portugal. Even if one or two nights, then why not if you can.

Moscow was a great trip, but still would have been nice to have had a bit more time to check out the City etc. 

19 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Nice to have the option though. Particularly somewhere like Portugal. Even if one or two nights, then why not if you can.

Moscow was a great trip, but still would have been nice to have had a bit more time to check out the City etc. 

Yes I must admit the allure of holidaying alongside these away trips is increasing for me with age and now that I am engaged. 2 birds with 1 stone.