JaneB

Euro (2020) 2021

My issue with the England national team stems back to the 'Golden Generation'. The rivalry between the clubs at the time and my hatred for them and their players made it impossible for me to watch an England team containing Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard, Owen, Carragher etc and cheer them on. Very pretty I know but that is how it has always been for me.

Plus the fact that 3 of the greatest English players of all time were treated like utter **** by fans and media alike simply because they played for us. 

Also I find the whole 'it's coming home' thing ridiculously annoying and incredibly arrogant. Sing it up the pub, sing it at the games but it is everywhere and it is embarrassing. 

• Like 1

kratos   
1 hour ago, Martin1905 said:

My issue with the England national team stems back to the 'Golden Generation'. The rivalry between the clubs at the time and my hatred for them and their players made it impossible for me to watch an England team containing Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard, Owen, Carragher etc and cheer them on. Very pretty I know but that is how it has always been for me.

Plus the fact that 3 of the greatest English players of all time were treated like utter **** by fans and media alike simply because they played for us. 

Also I find the whole 'it's coming home' thing ridiculously annoying and incredibly arrogant. Sing it up the pub, sing it at the games but it is everywhere and it is embarrassing. 

I feel the same way Martin.

If Mason starts I hope he wins.

But I can't support the likes of Sterling, Kane or Maguire because I despise them.

Plus William Hill has ruined sweet Caroline for me forever.

I have felt bad for not having the same feeling as I do Chelsea. I watch the rugby, Olympics, tennis, cricket, any sport and support our team's from a purely patriotic stand point. When it comes to the football team I struggle for all the reasons mentioned above! I have moments where I get patriotic and into it but, then they're undone when things like Kane or Sterling diving happen.

chara   
4 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

Well said Jane! You're definitely not alone. I want England to win but it is bitter sweet. I hate egging the likes of Harry diving Kane on, I hate watching Shaw over Chillwell, I hate the thuggish play of Maguire, I hate how boring Southgate is and knowing that Holland is the real mastermind behind it, I hate the fans that jump onto the bandwagon and believe they're experts after watching 5 games in four years, I hate the hype the team is given when we've had one real test in Germany, I hate how we have our better players on the bench yet because were blessed with an amazing 23 we still win and Southgate still gets the plaudits, I hate how the England team don't get to express themselves and play safe, I hate how this is only the euro's (League cup) and not the world cup (fa cup) but still they're trying to compare to 1966.

However, after all that when I hear the national anthem I become all patriotic and the hairs do still stand on end. I do want us to win and I do cheer a goal.  BUT it's not Chelsea.

Watching the German game with no Chelsea but three of ours on for the Germans ruined it for me. I wanted to get super excited like everyone else appeared to be but, I just wasn't. I was happy we were through but I wasn't buzzing like I am after a Chelsea v palace win.. The games I've watched in the pub I've been more into because you get more of a sense of us against them.

I managed to get tickets for the Italy Spain game and it was a brilliant atmosphere. I was in there repeatedly chanting Jorginho. Leaving Wembley I'd encouraged 500+ Italians to also be singing and then onto Wembley way. 

Absolutely correct....my emotions almost to the letter....and the National Anthem....Mrs C is like a laser when a player..in any side...doesn't sing  their Anthem.

CarefreeM is on the right track as well.....so many Chelsea players involved it was hard not to know more about a side than back in the day when players were just "names" but name any top nation and we know a lot about most of the players and recognise them ( making dhd commentators redundant for the most part.),,take Morata as an example..classic game for Spain..great goal etc but the inevitable let down..as we ALL absolutely knew was coming with the penalty. No Hungary/Puskas shock now.

As you say..it's euro cup...not World Cup....like the League Cup whatever it's called.... good to win but not "Top Of The World Ma!"

And......the humour has gone from the game or rather the terraces ( I know!)..I remember..(sigh..again you say?)....Derek Doogan with funny hair taking a throw in by the half way line at SB in front of the old West Bank....crescendo of jeers etc...he turned and gave the crowd the V sign.....a terrific roar of approval and applause for him from the faithful...today?...media frenzy yellow card at least inciting crowd etc etc...... see any real humour these days?

Good luck and hope WE win but as said by others..won't change my mood for the week unlike a Chelsea defeat.

chara   
5 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Sorry Martin....missed your post somehow when I wrote my last one.....agree yet again....feel a certain sadness at my present stand because being really ancient I do remember 66 well and the feel good emotions about the England side and victory. The tribalism felt by all of us at one level or another was ..in my memory..practically non existant back then regarding the National side......player selection was a reason for digging at other team supporters rather than a weapon of malice.

Again Rose Coloured glasses or not the 66 team was "ours' regardless of club affiliation..now?.....hard to relate to a lot of the squad...my personal dislike of certain players has no bearing on my assesment of their football skills but twas rarely if ever thus in the past.

On 7/9/2021 at 11:42 AM, JaneB said:

I'm Ms. Grumpy when it comes to the final on Sunday :-(  Not helped by my favourite sportsman being knocked out of Wimbledon, but that's another story.

I love Gareth Southgate, who wouldn't?  Steve Holland is epic and England have done wonderfully well to reach the final obviously, and even I can't get "it's coming home, it's coming home...." out of my head, but.....I just can't FEEL it like I do with Chelsea.

Ridiculous over hyping, knighthoods all round (maybe win the World Cup first), booing the Danish national anthem after all they've been through, a laser in Kaspar Schmeichel's eyes.  The kneeling nonsense (sorry but I don't like it but no I wouldn't boo).  Countless celebs jumping on the bandwagon showing off their freeby attendance when I'm sure half of them couldn't really care less about football, Gary Neville always needing to bring politics in and to top it all a winning dive in every way, but it doesn't matter because it's England.

Maybe I'm just not patriotic any more which is my loss I'm sure :-(  

Well said Jane!

JaneB   
On 09/07/2021 at 5:23 PM, chara said:

You are not alone Jane....my personal nightmare is the thought of every "English" commentator on Sunday salivating (I'm being polite here) at the thought of repeating the Classic..."They Think It's All Over..It Is Now"......Shudder...No No No!

It's not a matter of patriotism...it's sense of proportion and a realistic view of the game in general....of course I look back at '66 with rose coloured glasses as it were but it was far less a "Media Event"

I want England to be victorious but a defeat will not be the hurt I feel when Chelsea lose even a preseason warmup game!

I won't feel any hurt at all.  

On 09/07/2021 at 7:31 PM, Ham said:

One thing I've discovered is just how much more Chelsea mean to me than the national team.  

I feel butterflies watching a bloody Chelsea friendly and didn't really get into this tournament until the semi final. 

Well that's precisely it.

22 hours ago, CarefreeMuratcan said:

Arsenal and Tottenham fans will remember :)

Surprised to read so many of you are not super passionate about England NT, but it gives me pause for thought.

I thought my reasoning of not having any feelings towards England NT was being a Turk, and the bad blood between England-Turkey in my formative years of watching football leaving me no other choice, but perhaps it's the Chelsea angle like the rest of you that is my reasoning as well.

Supporting rival players makes no sense. Perhaps it was as simple as that. 

This is what I feel 'guilty' about and actually there are some I don't mind at all, e.g. Phillips, Rice, Saka, Mings, Rashford to name a few.  But unfortunately there are others I just can't warm to.

11 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

Well said Jane! You're definitely not alone. I want England to win but it is bitter sweet. I hate egging the likes of Harry diving Kane on, I hate watching Shaw over Chillwell, I hate the thuggish play of Maguire, I hate how boring Southgate is and knowing that Holland is the real mastermind behind it, I hate the fans that jump onto the bandwagon and believe they're experts after watching 5 games in four years, I hate the hype the team is given when we've had one real test in Germany, I hate how we have our better players on the bench yet because were blessed with an amazing 23 we still win and Southgate still gets the plaudits, I hate how the England team don't get to express themselves and play safe, I hate how this is only the euro's (League cup) and not the world cup (fa cup) but still they're trying to compare to 1966.

However, after all that when I hear the national anthem I become all patriotic and the hairs do still stand on end. I do want us to win and I do cheer a goal.  BUT it's not Chelsea.

Watching the German game with no Chelsea but three of ours on for the Germans ruined it for me. I wanted to get super excited like everyone else appeared to be but, I just wasn't. I was happy we were through but I wasn't buzzing like I am after a Chelsea v palace win.. The games I've watched in the pub I've been more into because you get more of a sense of us against them.

I managed to get tickets for the Italy Spain game and it was a brilliant atmosphere. I was in there repeatedly chanting Jorginho. Leaving Wembley I'd encouraged 500+ Italians to also be singing and then onto Wembley way. 

Lucky you!!  What a terrific match that was, couldn't take my eyes off it!!

Thanks for your honesty.  I thought it was just me being very disingenuous.  And yes, why is it being compared to the World Cup?  That's the BIG achievement.  And apparently if England win, we are going to have an extra Bank Holiday.  I mean, it's just ridiculous.  Everything is so overdone these days.    

10 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

My issue with the England national team stems back to the 'Golden Generation'. The rivalry between the clubs at the time and my hatred for them and their players made it impossible for me to watch an England team containing Ferdinand, Neville, Scholes, Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard, Owen, Carragher etc and cheer them on. Very pretty I know but that is how it has always been for me.

^^^ This, this and this ^^^

9 hours ago, kratos said:

I feel the same way Martin.

If Mason starts I hope he wins.

But I can't support the likes of Sterling, Kane or Maguire because I despise them.

Plus William Hill has ruined sweet Caroline for me forever.

That would make all the difference ha ha!!

8 hours ago, Erland Johnson said:

I have felt bad for not having the same feeling as I do Chelsea. I watch the rugby, Olympics, tennis, cricket, any sport and support our team's from a purely patriotic stand point. When it comes to the football team I struggle for all the reasons mentioned above! I have moments where I get patriotic and into it but, then they're undone when things like Kane or Sterling diving happen.

It's a real conflict but maybe I should stop fighting it. 

Well that's it in a nutshell.  What will everyone say when they carry on doing it in the league next season?  Nothing probably :-( 

3 hours ago, Phoenix Blue said:

Well said Jane!

Thanks.  I really thought I'd get slated for being so negative.  I never realised how tribal I was about Chelsea.

PS.  And while I'm at it, have you seen how many 'pundits' are on both channels tomorrow night?  Ye gods!!!

chara   

Ah Jane...the "pundits"...as I said...all desperate to be able to repeat the Classic line...... 

I think Italy will edge it....despite my posts I DO want England to win but not the same edgy nerves as a Chelsea fixture.....more like a favoured club in an FA cuptie...hope for a win but no real downer if we lose.....I hate to think what all the "instant" England fans and "sudden" experts will do if England lose...so much candy floss emotion invested in it all....

I suspect most of us will be rooting for our guy.......but which one?

JaneB   
14 minutes ago, chara said:

Ah Jane...the "pundits"...as I said...all desperate to be able to repeat the Classic line...... 

I think Italy will edge it....despite my posts I DO want England to win but not the same edgy nerves as a Chelsea fixture.....more like a favoured club in an FA cuptie...hope for a win but no real downer if we lose.....I hate to think what all the "instant" England fans and "sudden" experts will do if England lose...so much candy floss emotion invested in it all....

I suspect most of us will be rooting for our guy.......but which one?

Ha ha!!  Sums it up perfectly!!

Well it has to be Mason doesn't it?  

Sciatika   

I also feel the same way as Martin. I will never forgive England fans for booing Chelsea players in England shirts. The way I see it is that Italy have Jorginho and Emerson. England have Mount, James and Chilwell. On the other hand, England have Lineker, Sutton, Savage and Jermaine ****ing Jenas. So it looks like I'll be neutral.

• Haha 2