exiledblue

Billy Gilmour

1 hour ago, thevelourfog said:

Farke sacked by Norwich, wonder what if any impact that will have on Gilmour?

Lampard odds on favourite
https://www.bettingodds.com/news/next-norwich-manager-odds-frank-Lampard-russell-martin-steve-bruce

I foresee a great deal of excitement over this.  I wish both luck but it doesn't seem a good idea for either.

31 minutes ago, Mark Kelly said:

How about a Lampard Terry duo at Villa?

It's a Lennon & McCartney thing though isn't it?  Huge respect for each other from a distance but never as personally close as people thought.
Can't see them ever getting back together unless it was something like a Drogba benefit event.

bert19   

Regardless of who goes in at Norwich, I imagine Chelsea will be watching Gilmour's minutes very carefully over the coming weeks.  He's had his time wasted up there so far, so unless there's a massive uptake in how he's used and how many minutes he plays, he's leaving on January 1st.  

If I were Newcastle, I'd be banging on our door for Billy over the next few weeks.  They desperately need quality, particularly in midfield and need someone that can keep the ball even more than that.  He ticks a lot of boxes for them and would be one of the first names on the teamsheet if he was up there.   

On 2021-11-04 at 7:51 PM, RDC Williams said:

Quite. An absolutely disastrous loan.

Which it was doomed to be from the start (and many pointed this quite obvious thing out at the time). Having a slight player like Billy in central midfield for a team that is going to get spanked every week isn't a great idea. Of course the manager will move away from players that can play to players that can fight. 

On 2021-11-05 at 8:11 AM, didierforever said:

True. He should have either been in the squad or for a much better team who play possession football. Sending such good players on loan to relegation fodder should be stopped by the club. 

Again, the outcome was always quite obvious. Look at how City treated Foden. Loans are not always the best way to go and to compare Gilmour with Mount/Gallagher is wrong imo. Very different type of players. 

From a quality perspective Gilmour is one of the best players at Norwich. 

On 2021-11-05 at 11:28 AM, Droy was my hero said:

Someone at the club has decided that Norwich is a suitable place for Billy.

Maybe they are the ones we should send out on loan? 

On 2021-11-05 at 0:00 PM, FREEBOOT-RIGHTZ said:

Bench warm at a doomed PL club is not progression.

I doubt its anything to do with Billy's ability or how he performs in training and more likely the Manger trying to save his doomed skin by fielding players who have served him for the past couple of seasons. 

Exactly.

On 2021-11-07 at 0:33 PM, thevelourfog said:

Farke sacked by Norwich, wonder what if any impact that will have on Gilmour?

Most likely not. The new manager will pick 11 fighters and experienced pros to salvage some pride from this season. They are going down regardless and it's all about preparing the team for life in the Championship 2022/23. Gilmour won't be part of that - we should recall him if possible. 

2 hours ago, Sleeping Dave said:

Which it was doomed to be from the start (and many pointed this quite obvious thing out at the time). Having a slight player like Billy in central midfield for a team that is going to get spanked every week isn't a great idea. Of course the manager will move away from players that can play to players that can fight. 

Having a slight player in CM (or more particularly DM/playmaker as he plays) is ANY team isn't a great idea.  At least till he has 3 or 4 years of adult football behind him.
This issue is NOT Norwich.  The issue is whether Billy is good enough to play there.  

As I pointed out - there is too much pleading for Billy as a special case for a special kind of team and not enough questioning as to whether he is up to it.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:02 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Who on earth would give him that opportunity?  Were you thinking of Liverpool or Man City?

(Answering the questions- is he up to it?  and now? - is the whole point of a loan.  Maybe it is not the loan but the answer people are objecting to.).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Watching the Scotland V Denmark match and Gilmour just oozes class

I've seen the highlights only.  He seems to have a much freer role with Scotland.  3CBs and it seemed as though he had more freedom to get forward than his CM colleague.
Is that right?

paulw66   
11 hours ago, Diddymen said:

Watching the Scotland V Denmark match and Gilmour just oozes class

There is a slight problem judging from a game against Denmark reserves who have already qualified

Not criticising, but not a proper test

Wonder what Dean Smith will do now. Obviously been brought in to get them promoted next season, so what use is a player who won't be there