Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JaneB

Chelsea 1 Villarreal 1 (6 - 5 on penalties)

JaneB   

Please use this thread for all posts relating to our UEFA Super Cup match against Villarreal at Windsor Park before, during and after the game.

The Moderators will be keeping an eye on things, so let's try to keep it intelligent.

Please note that this un-moderated forum is a privilege and its abuse will result in the suspension of your account.

The match is scheduled to kick off at 20:00 hours on Wednesday, 11th August 2021 (Local time/date) (Live on BT Sport)

Be nice to win this one , start as you mean to go on etc 

chara   
4 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

As with any Chelsea game I agree with you Mark..and a good start etc...

BUT...do Chelsea/we really need or want this game?......who really remembers previous matchups other than the winning side's fans....I hate Chelsea losing any game but these type of games are just money fueled events envisaged by a so called ruling body...Super Cup?....more like Soppy Cup......in different times an interesting sidenote..now?

2 hours ago, chara said:

As with any Chelsea game I agree with you Mark..and a good start etc...

BUT...do Chelsea/we really need or want this game?......who really remembers previous matchups other than the winning side's fans....I hate Chelsea losing any game but these type of games are just money fueled events envisaged by a so called ruling body...Super Cup?....more like Soppy Cup......in different times an interesting sidenote..now?

It's a big game against a decent team who will - more than likely - take the game seriously... final 'warm up' game before the Premiership starts. I would have thought it was ideal preparation. And a big silver trophy at the end of it just before the season proper starts is a nice way to get going.

Must win game ;-)

chara   

As a preparation game I agree..... I just get "twitchy" about such games....not quite the farcical game (good cause but) that RLC sustained such a serious injury in but for me a half and half game...not quite preseason warm up bit more than that and not quite a trophy game...it's the more than likely factor.....enough to try to win but not a game to get injured in..and as we all know there is the danger....not commiting is always dangerous,,,but I am always a worrier!

As ever though...Must win game....never can accept a loss with good grace,,,,

bert19   
16 hours ago, Mark Kelly said:

It would also be nice to win a bloody Super Cup game! 

9 hours ago, Bob Singleton said:

It's a big game against a decent team who will - more than likely - take the game seriously... final 'warm up' game before the Premiership starts. I would have thought it was ideal preparation. And a big silver trophy at the end of it just before the season proper starts is a nice way to get going.

Must win game ;-)

I mean, for me, it's a chance to lay down a marker and take a trophy.  Alrite, it's essentially an invitational game I suppose, but silverware is silverware at the end of the day.  Not that many things one can win through the season, so we shouldn't turn our noses up at it.  

That being said, if Villarreal go 1-0 after 60 mins, he should sub everyone starting the first PL game - watching us labour for half an hour to break them down would be awful 😭

2 hours ago, bert19 said:

That being said, if Villarreal go 1-0 after 60 mins, he should sub everyone starting the first PL game - watching us labour for half an hour to break them down would be awful 😭

I suspect it would be ideal preparation for similar games against Burnley, Everton, West Ham and the like. I'd keep them all on.

paulw66   

Looking at their squad, you do wonder how United failed to beat them. A who's who of failed Premier league players, like Coquelin, Capoue, Moreno, Foyth........ 

the one to look out for is the winger, Chukweze, who could easily have been at the Olympics, he is so fast. 

bert19   
1 hour ago, Bob Singleton said:

I suspect it would be ideal preparation for similar games against Burnley, Everton, West Ham and the like. I'd keep them all on.

Aye, true enough. 

Hopefully we’ll turn up and win convincingly.

Got my tickets for this one. Very happy after the disaster I had with the CL final. 

Personally, whilst I know that this is just an invitational game, it is one that I really want us to win. I'll never say no to Silverware.