JaneB

Chelsea 1 Villarreal 1 (6 - 5 on penalties)

https://weaintgotnohistory.sbnation.com/2021/8/12/22620960/trevoh-chalobah-has-forced-his-way-into-our-thinking-admits-thomas-tuchel

“He played good against Arsenal and he played a good game also against Bournemouth, then Arsenal, then Tottenham. We wanted to have guys on the field who are capable to play 90 minutes. Trevoh was first in training the very first in training and is physically strong and deserved to play by his performances so far and again today he was very strong.

“He suffered in some moments but later with Azpi by his side and Jorgi close to him and helping him in tactical organisation he stepped again up. He never lost face and stayed calm and was physical enough to play 120 minutes. It was quite impressive.”

“Absolutely [...] he forced his way into our thinking. Let’s see how it goes. We still have some days to decide his personal future but in the moment he shows his value to the team.”

Can play 6th Choice CB, 4th choice DM, RWB. Enough said.

Holymoly   

If last night proved anything, I came away with two thoughts:

1. Trophies aside, TT while clearly a very good coach and man manager he is also a lucky manager. Just the sort of guy we need.

2. On the other hand Ziyech must be the unluckiest footballer. Last season he started pre-season in great form then got his knee injury just before the season started which kept him out of the reckoning. Now this. History repeating?

Anyway. Well done guys. We'll need to start work on that extension to the trophy room now.

Guest Northern Lights   
Guest Northern Lights
7 minutes ago, Holymoly said:

If last night proved anything, I came away with two thoughts:

1. Trophies aside, TT while clearly a very good coach and man manager he is also a lucky manager. Just the sort of guy we need.

2. On the other hand Ziyech must be the unluckiest footballer. Last season he started pre-season in great form then got his knee injury just before the season started which kept him out of the reckoning. Now this. History repeating?

Anyway. Well done guys. We'll need to start work on that extension to the trophy room now.

Yep. I’d rather be lucky than good. As you say though TT is very good.

Winning last night is good for confidence and helps breed a ruthless winning mentality, which imo we still need to develop - as well as physical/mental strength.

Ziyech injury is massive for me. I hope he is not out for long. I am very worried about our wide players. Despite having good depth and good talent, every single player just seems to be just below that consistent elite level. If we cannot get our wide men to consistently beat their man one on one, and not run down blind alleys, we will be in big trouble. At least with Ziyech you know you will get a consistent world class long and short range passing each game. The signing of Lukaku is massively important. 

Edited by Ibn Battuta

9 hours ago, Bison said:

If Chalaobah was playing for somebody else the club would be trying to sign him for 50m.

My first thought after reading this was ...

7 hours ago, paulw66 said:

Apart from the time he gave the ball away on the edge of our area and they should have scored 

... this.

I think he had a decent game, and I saw enough to think he could have a PL career, even a career here. But that's about it. If he was in Villarreal colours last night and gave the same performance, I'd think we'd be completely deranged to be trying to buy him, never mind for £50m.

3 hours ago, didierforever said:

Mendy and Rudi?

Also made mistakes. Suppose the difference is we all know that both have stretches of good form behind them. And even then, no one has ever mentioned their names and £50m in the same sentence. 

I think we looked fine, just really not fit. There are going to be some very strange results in the first few weeks of the PL, imo.

Happy with almost all, kova was knackered and CHO doesnt try hard enough.

Chalobah, Kante, Mendy Rudi and Alonso did very well considering its a pre season.

We were way better for 3/4 of the game and if we had a CF we would have run away with it. That seemingly is resolved.

First half excellent 

second half awful

extra time very good

Penalties woo hoo!

Pre-season , dontcha just love it ?

I hope Palace are as rusty as us , gulp. 

Liam w   

Great result lastnight and a really impressive performance until ziyech went off. I'm not his biggest fan but he had an amazing game he was totally dictating everything until his injury and we sort of fell apart after.

He has had a massive pre season real shame because its just killed all momentum he was building

On another note, I love this picture

6114cf753c514_Screenshot_20210812-092633_ChelseaFC.jpg.613a23510fdeffda9020d92805dd0517.jpg

Look how pumped kepa is, the shock in rudis face and the joy and happiness  in azpis and capt Americas faces

• Like 1

Team looked half-cooked in terms of fitness and match sharpness, particularly those who will have started their pre-seasons later than others. 

That might explain the good first half and generally second best in the second half - we thought we could operate at three-quarter pace and still win. Soon as they equalised, we upped our game. 

I thought Kante looked fit as did Alonso. Credit to the latter as being linked as a ‘makeweight’ in a transfer deal can’t make you feel better about yourself. 

Their goal, good bit of interplay between their front two, but Rudiger has to concentrate. Got dragged out off the 18 yard line, leaving a massive hole for the forward to run into and got nowhere near the guy who eventually scored, then didn’t track his run. 

Really pleased for Kepa. Moment in the sun for him, deserved in my opinion. He’s not openly dissented since Mendy came in and publicly appears to be on board with this ‘group’ mentality thing we seem to be championing. 

Edited by East Lower

Good pre-season run out and some decent performances from a number of players, whilst some players clearly a few yards off the pace still at present.

Might just be me, but I was hoping Rudi would be saving that hard tackle for Grealish when we play city. Just the kinda player I would like to see him smash into.

Rudiger has definitely got more aggressive over the last few months. It's something the team needs and I am pleased to see it, not sure what has sparked it. Maybe built up frustrations of him falling out of favour with Lampard.

He has been playing with a real attitude and almost chip on his shoulder over the last half a season. Always a balancing act to make sure he stays on the right side of things, but this extra aggression he seems to have added to his game is having a positive impact imo.

Edited by LeBoeufsGolfBall