chara

The Way We Were..a chara sslt..series 2

chara   
9 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

Langley, Birchenall, Boyle, Brolly, Fleck, Ramires,  Marin

I might add Tony Hateley...I think I saw every goal he scored ....memory going somewhat but I recall only one with his boot!..away at Fulham?.....

Liam w   

I was a right footed LB if I ever got into the oppos half I would have a nose bleed. I was a really good defender but truly awful on the ball. If someone came down in my lane, the ball wouldn't leave for 10 minutes. I would spend the whole time just punting the ball out for a throwing and winning it back before punting it out for a throwing. It got to the point people stopped trying to come down their right and that was my job done. Any RW or RF might also go home with a bloody nose and/or raked legs.

I wouldn't consider my performance any good if I didn't make someone bleed

Sciatika   

Reminds of that Norman Hunter thing when a training coach told the manager that Hunnter had gone home with a broken leg to which the manager replied "whose?".

Liam w   
7 minutes ago, Sciatika said:

Reminds of that Norman Hunter thing when a training coach told the manager that Hunnter had gone home with a broken leg to which the manager replied "whose?".

One thing about me, I have a tendacy to take things too literally when I was about 6 or 7 our school coach coned of the pitch into a 3x3 grid plus the penalty areas and put us all in a box and said something like this is your area anytime the ball comes into your area you are in charge, if everyone takes charge of theor own area we hold the whole pitch and do what it takes to beat any player that comes into your area. (Not exactly how it was worded) so I took it all in and kept that up until I stopped playing football at about 18. I stayed in my little area and held my ground no matter what as soon as they left my area they were someone else's responsibility. I didn't want to go into anyone else's area and I didn't want anyone else in mine so I made it as hostile as possible. Probably wasn't the lesson I was supposed to of learned in hindsight I could of been a little more flexible. 

• Like 1

Flinkers   

As a Kiwi kid growing up in the 70s and 80s I never kicked a round ball in anger!

On the rugby field I started on the wing then moved to loose forward when I got too slow. I played mostly openside or No. 8 until the opposition started getting too big and too fast. 3 concussions in a row (each with a longer stand down) put paid to my rugby career at 17.

• Like 1

Liam w   
40 minutes ago, Flinkers said:

As a Kiwi kid growing up in the 70s and 80s I never kicked a round ball in anger!

On the rugby field I started on the wing then moved to loose forward when I got too slow. I played mostly openside or No. 8 until the opposition started getting too big and too fast. 3 concussions in a row (each with a longer stand down) put paid to my rugby career at 17.

You haven't lived until you've kicked a round ball in anger 🤣

When I started [playing mens football at 16 I was a centre forward but played more like a number 10. I eventually moved back to centre midfield in my early 20s and played to a pretty decent standard (low level semi pro/good saturday football) for 10-12 years when my nights out finally impacted my mobilty. Carried on playing though as a defensive midfielder/central defender and when I moved to Holland amazingly found myself playing up a few levels again (with good player admittedly) then eventually with 50 approaching I ended up at a local club back as a centre forward albeit nowhere near as mobile as the feisty 16 year old. Mid 50s now fast approaching and every pair of boots is potentially the last but do 30 mins from the bench on a sunday and a fortnightly super vets 7 a side. Maybe they will have to carry me off the field in a box!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorting out my late mothers things I came across this

I was central midfielder seen here at our (Berg Boys in Basingstoke) award night with a face  some might reckonise..?

bergboys.jpg