chara

The Way We Were..a chara sslt..series 2

26 minutes ago, fillerywhereru said:

There is a huge difference, I played in teams with ex pros and they make the whole thing look easy. Played against Clive walker once and he was jet quick even at the age of 50 plus and his touch and use of the ball superb.

Loved him as the seriously rapid winger we called Flasher.
But quite odd how he developed into a midfield playmaker in his later years.  (I'm thinking at Sunderland in his late 20s, not his 50s).  Two very different sets of skills.  Makes me wonder if he could have been a brilliant player early on when he could have combined pace and technique.

chara   
1 hour ago, Droy was my hero said:

But quite odd how he developed into a midfield playmaker in his later years.  (I'm thinking at Sunderland in his late 20s, not his 50s).  Two very different sets of skills.  Makes me wonder if he could have been a brilliant player early on when he could have combined pace and technique.

Ah...Clive Walker....another maverick in many ways,,,,,I seem to remember listening to a game on the BBC World Service,,,waay up in a mountain in Spain..against Birmingham?,,think he scoered 3/4 goals in a comeback from defeat game.(Unless my OG memory is failing me!)

Another If Only player....If Only he could have got all the aspects of his game together all the time rather than the ;inspired" moments...loved to watch him.

38 minutes ago, chara said:

Ah...Clive Walker....another maverick in many ways,,,,,I seem to remember listening to a game on the BBC World Service,,,waay up in a mountain in Spain..against Birmingham?,,think he scoered 3/4 goals in a comeback from defeat game.(Unless my OG memory is failing me!)

I was there and remember it all with absolute precision - though the newspapers have a different version.  Jock Finnieston got the first then Walker made 2 and scored one and we beat Blackburn 4-3   (or Langley and Bolton according to the newspapers but who believes them).
I do recall Shellito getting a lot of credit for bringing him on, while all the fans there were hugely annoyed he hadn't started.

48 minutes ago, chara said:

Another If Only player....If Only he could have got all the aspects of his game together all the time rather than the ;inspired" moments...loved to watch him.

It wasn't consistency I meant.  Just imagine though what player who could look up and see might have done when he was also the fastest sprinter in the league.

2 hours ago, Droy was my hero said:

I was there and remember it all with absolute precision - though the newspapers have a different version.  Jock Finnieston got the first then Walker made 2 and scored one and we beat Blackburn 4-3   (or Langley and Bolton according to the newspapers but who believes them).
I do recall Shellito getting a lot of credit for bringing him on, while all the fans there were hugely annoyed he hadn't started.

It wasn't consistency I meant.  Just imagine though what player who could look up and see might have done when he was also the fastest sprinter in the league.

I'm sure they reported Big Sam Allardyce scoring the winner.

8 minutes ago, Backbiter said:

Probably - but I still recall in vivid detail how the last goal was Walker shooting from roughly the Frank Lampard/Barca position and the rocket curved so much that the ball hit the back of the net, not the side netting.  And I must have been right because I was sitting right behind Walker at the time.  Of course in hindsight Big Sam's Big Toe might explain some of that.

On 04/01/2022 at 6:05 PM, Backbiter said:

The equaliser is reminiscent of Pulisic's equaliser against Liverpool last week. 

ROTG   
On 04/01/2022 at 6:59 PM, Droy was my hero said:

And I must have been right because I was sitting right behind Walker at the time.

You mean standing?

On 04/01/2022 at 1:15 PM, Droy was my hero said:

Not sure the girls he exposed himself to loved him. "Can you imagine the outcry by the media if he had done it today"

ROTG   
6 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

You mean you didn't know they had seats back then?

I can't remember being able to sit in the shed or north stand, seating was for the fortunate who could afford the crappy west or revamped east stand. Only seating behind the goals was for light blue 3 wheelers

Edited by Freeboot-Rightz

4 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

I can't remember being able to sit in the shed or north stand, seating was for the fortunate who could afford the crappy west or revamped east stand. Only seating behind the goals was for light blue 3 wheelers

Then you wouldn't have seen the path of the shot at all - you'd have been at least 100 feet away other side of the greyhound track.
You are right the West stand was crappy and the toilets a disgrace.  But the stands were easily the best view since they were right up against the touchline.  In those days you were either in the crowd OR you were watching the match.  I got lucky that day my Dad couldn't use his season ticket and unusually that season there was a match worth watching.