JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Blue Rod   
9 minutes ago, boratsbrother said:

The numbers are  obscene!

There comes a time when any club has to simply say that they are prepared to pay that kind of money. I am sure most fans would support their club taking such a stance. Utd fans laughed their arses off at Milan paying 70 million for him and then we throw on an extra 30 for him approaching his 29th birthday. 

Marina sure knows how to get good prices for our players, but not so good when it comes to buying them. There was a time when we were just as good at buying great value for money players. 

Lionel Messi has a history of speaking his mind publicly against management and getting away with it. Lukaku had barely been here for any length of time when he gave that interview. I think this was him announcing himself as a superstar who is above the normal protocols, a bit like Messi. If he were bought for £40m and paid £100k a week (which is the more sensible valuation of him), I'm almost certain he wouldn't have had the audacity to give that interview

Leo91   

I watched a Alex Ferguson documentary the other day so it just came to mind can you imagine a player doing that sort of interview under him!? The book would be thrown at him and he's be isolated from the squad for weeks. 

Just now, Leo91 said:

I watched a Alex Ferguson documentary the other day so it just came to mind can you imagine a player doing that sort of interview under him!? The book would be thrown at him and he's be isolated from the squad for weeks. 

I'm sure they have - remember the interview Roy Keane did with MUTV  where he slagged off half the team.

What would not have happened is that an off the record conversation 3 weeks ago with a player would be leaked out of context much later.  
the journalist and the media source would have been shredded.

The most hilarious thing about the interview is that , it wasn't club sanctioned , it wasn't even arranged by Lukaku's agent or management team , it was all his own work , his clever idea !

What a numbnuts.

21 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

I'm sure they have - remember the interview Roy Keane did with MUTV  where he slagged off half the team.

Yes I remember , he never played for United again .

Blue Rod   
39 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

What would not have happened is that an off the record conversation 3 weeks ago with a player would be leaked out of context much later.  
the journalist and the media source would have been shredded.

Shredded for what?

You make it sound like someone put a listening device under Lukaku's bed. He spoke to someone that he knew earns a living from publishing stories. What does it matter that it is published 3 weeks later. Is there a statute of limitations for interviews? 

14 minutes ago, Blue Rod said:

Shredded for what?

You make it sound like someone put a listening device under Lukaku's bed. He spoke to someone that he knew earns a living from publishing stories. What does it matter that it is published 3 weeks later. Is there a statute of limitations for interviews? 

So we know the journalist he spoke to then?  that is a lot more info - please tell if you know who it was.

1 hour ago, Floyd25 said:

Piers Morgan chimes in with one of the most ironic tweets I’ve ever read…obnoxious and elitist, I guess he was describing himself.  

What do you expect from a bitter gooner? And all because he got shown the door by meaghan markle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

For some reason, I have not really been thinking about what Lukaku thinks or feels about the club. I have been wondering what his teammates must be thinking since he arrived. We are humans before we are professionals.

The guys who picked themselves up, dusted themselves up in second half of last season and went on to win the CL are still sitting on very basic contracts - some of them under £60k/week. The club went and splashed £100m plus 325k/week on Lulaku. And then they're playing hard ball with Christensen, happy to let Rudiger go while they chase other defenders who are yet unproven in the PL,  and then there is the Azpi contract issue. 

All players have contractual obligations. But there is a saying that people turn up for work because they have a contract, but they actually work because they are valued.

Lukaku was never a £100m player, and nowhere is he worth £325k/week even if he played his heart out. Those figures have got to his head. 

I predicted for once that Lukaku would get 20 goals this season, that said I don’t rate him as highly as he clearly rates himself. The top drawer of strikers in the world does not include him in my opinion. After his display against Arsenal where he said it was dominant I knew he hadn’t gained any humility from his Italian period. Lukakus interview should blow over if he lifts the team with goals. If it doesn’t and he wants to leave so be it.