JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

Ham   
3 minutes ago, Michael Tucker said:

And what do you think will happen then? Serious question.

Simple question to Sky.  

Why did you release these stories when you did? Why not 3 weeks ago or before the Chesterfield game? 

Sciatika   
9 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

I can't quite see the link between high tempo and brain being switched off. If Malouda meant to talk about the difference in tempo, I'm sure he could have found a way to say that without the brain thing 

I would have thought that the faster the game, the more you need your brain to be switched on as you have to make split second decisions.

I think Malouda was just repeating a common caricature of English football. 

I got my first degree as a musician. One of the tricks of being able to play really fast complex music is to understand that it is all about "muscle memory". You learn patterns to the degree that you can play them without thinking about them. You have to do this because it is hard to conceive the overall shape of the music if you have to focus on the detail. This is why classical musicians spend so much time on scales and arpeggios (a common feature of classical music) or rock guitarists on blues sequences, "hammer and pull" and so on, which are common in rock music. Once you have the patterns you then learn how to fit them together in a way that means you cannot "not play" the piece.

This is not only true in "written" or scripted music. When you play in a jazz band there is a lot of improvisation. But most improvisation is actually putting together patterns in novel ways. If you listen to Charlie Parker, you will hear that he is constantly repeating these idiomatic Jazz patterns. Improvisation is rarely actually totally invented on the fly. If you listen to Richie Blackmore solos you will notice that they are largely underpinned by a really solid technique in blues patterns. The same with Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page. Different musicians use patterns from different genres and this contributes to their "sound". Mark Knopfler often also mixes in patterns that come from finger-picking, Jan Ackerman from Jazz. It is also why musicians find it hard (though not impossible) to successfully cross genre boundaries. When you play with others, it becomes even more important. An orchestra or band of 20 players would not be able to synchronise without these patterns (and a lot of practice) because they need to "know" what the other people are going to do. If you do it a lot, it becomes intuitive - and quite magical.

I think the same principle applies to sport, especially team sports. Sometimes, we think of these patterns as "skills". When a player controls a ball that is arriving over his shoulder (difficult) he relies on putting into practice a skill that he has worked on in training. The geometry is really hard so he has to rely on not really thinking about it and simply exercising a learnt pattern. Such patterns are also part of interactions with other players. For instance, players work on negative spaces in order to keep possession and stretch opposition shape. They do this in small groups in a circle with one or two in the middle trying to intercept. They do this a lot. I think players use these patterns in all leagues, irrespective of the tempo. It's just that the faster the tempo, the more they rely on these patterns.

Having said that, I am not sure if Malouda conceives it this way, but I think he is making the same point.

Lukaku excluded from the match day squad today. That’s a big statement from Tuchel.

Personally I think this is all hype from Sky Sports and other journalists and they’ve now got what they wanted.

7 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Lukaku excluded from the match day squad today. That’s a big statement from Tuchel.

Personally I think this is all hype from Sky Sports and other journalists and they’ve now got what they wanted.

Not sure Tuchel would have dropped him due to pressure form Sky sports or any other media source.

It obviously pissed him off or if the interview itself didn't, any conversation he had with Lukaku afterwards.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him sold straight back to Inter this month.

Blue Rod   
1 hour ago, Sciatika said:

I got my first degree as a musician. One of the tricks of being able to play really fast complex music is to understand that it is all about "muscle memory". You learn patterns to the degree that you can play them without thinking about them. You have to do this because it is hard to conceive the overall shape of the music if you have to focus on the detail. This is why classical musicians spend so much time on scales and arpeggios (a common feature of classical music) or rock guitarists on blues sequences, "hammer and pull" and so on, which are common in rock music. Once you have the patterns you then learn how to fit them together in a way that means you cannot "not play" the piece.

This is not only true in "written" or scripted music. When you play in a jazz band there is a lot of improvisation. But most improvisation is actually putting together patterns in novel ways. If you listen to Charlie Parker, you will hear that he is constantly repeating these idiomatic Jazz patterns. Improvisation is rarely actually totally invented on the fly. If you listen to Richie Blackmore solos you will notice that they are largely underpinned by a really solid technique in blues patterns. The same with Tony Iommi or Jimmy Page. Different musicians use patterns from different genres and this contributes to their "sound". Mark Knopfler often also mixes in patterns that come from finger-picking, Jan Ackerman from Jazz. It is also why musicians find it hard (though not impossible) to successfully cross genre boundaries. When you play with others, it becomes even more important. An orchestra or band of 20 players would not be able to synchronise without these patterns (and a lot of practice) because they need to "know" what the other people are going to do. If you do it a lot, it becomes intuitive - and quite magical.

I think the same principle applies to sport, especially team sports. Sometimes, we think of these patterns as "skills". When a player controls a ball that is arriving over his shoulder (difficult) he relies on putting into practice a skill that he has worked on in training. The geometry is really hard so he has to rely on not really thinking about it and simply exercising a learnt pattern. Such patterns are also part of interactions with other players. For instance, players work on negative spaces in order to keep possession and stretch opposition shape. They do this in small groups in a circle with one or two in the middle trying to intercept. They do this a lot. I think players use these patterns in all leagues, irrespective of the tempo. It's just that the faster the tempo, the more they rely on these patterns.

Having said that, I am not sure if Malouda conceives it this way, but I think he is making the same point.

We've found one more thing in common then. I've been self-teaching the guitar over the past 3 months - the theory and practice of playing. I understand your analogy. However, the thing that is missing is the understanding that playing a football match is not like playing a well-rehearsed song on a guitar. Because that would presume that all 22 players + referee, linesmen and VAR are playing to a certain fixed script. This is as far away from football as is possible.

The guitar equivalent of a football match is turning up for a Bebop jazz jamming session and having to improvise on a new tune each time. The pianist and trombonist routinely go crazy and you have to find a way to stay in tune with them, mixing old skills with new improvisations, thinking in line but also thinking ahead . That is the closest analogy I could find. Now, try doing that with half your brain switched off. 

Edited by Blue Rod

11 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Not sure Tuchel would have dropped him due to pressure form Sky sports or any other media source.

It obviously pissed him off or if the interview itself didn't, any conversation he had with Lukaku afterwards.

No, I don’t think he would have done either, but if this interview gets released when it was filmed then the conversation probably would have been different or dealt with and over with before such a big game.

If there is more to it than just the comments made and the conversation Tuchel and Lukaku has had has caused more problems, then that explains him being dropped and either way I’ll back Tuchel in this situation over Lukaku every time.

Lukaku back to Inter? Not sure they could afford him, but I wouldn’t miss him too much if he left, hasn’t set the world alight yet.

18 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

No, I don’t think he would have done either, but if this interview gets released when it was filmed then the conversation probably would have been different or dealt with and over with before such a big game.

If there is more to it than just the comments made and the conversation Tuchel and Lukaku has had has caused more problems, then that explains him being dropped and either way I’ll back Tuchel in this situation over Lukaku every time.

Lukaku back to Inter? Not sure they could afford him, but I wouldn’t miss him too much if he left, hasn’t set the world alight yet.

Depends how we payed them. Very much doubt we just gave them £100m straight up.

Or we just let them have him and we take Martinez or Barella in exchange.

Edited by Martin1905

9 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Depends how we payed them. Very much doubt we just gave them £100m straight up.

Or we just let them have him and we take Martinez or Barella in exchange.

I don’t think the Inter fans would open him back with open arms.

46 minutes ago, Martin1905 said:

Inter are laughing because they wouldnt pay anything like we did and tbh they are doing quite OK without him. They dont need him.

Edited by exiledblue