JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

4 hours ago, Blue Rod said:

His text to Howard who I believe is an NBC pundit, is part of the profile-building, ego-pumping strategy that brought about this interview in the first place. Basically, Lukaku sees himself a global superstar, a free ranger. 

I mean ... This is an absolutely wild, insane take. It's literally a text to a mate (though I'd hope Lukaku is smart enough to be reconsidering that friendship given Howard had no problems passing it on to a journalist) to say "now isn't a good time to talk" in response to being asked to talk. Which is literally what anyone feeling sensibly critical of Lukaku would prefer he had said in the first instance.

Responding to a mate texting you is only evidence of egomania if you've decided someone is a egomaniac.

2 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

What Lukaku said was planned, cold, calculated and came from the heart.

This is an even more insane take. Has the whole interview even been released yet?! 

Is there anyone here who genuinely thinks this ends any other way than Lukaku being back in the team within the next few games?

Mana   
23 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

This is an even more insane take. Has the whole interview even been released yet?!

Lol. How is that an insane take? What do you think the interviewer could have asked in such a way that Lukaku would answer that he would want to return to Inter some day? (and it was a misunderstanding)

Edited by Mana

32 minutes ago, Leo91 said:

I like Romelu but I never felt he was one of us since he went to Man Utd so him gushing his guts out to Inter I'm not too fussed about, I'm not losing any sleep over it as I believe he's professional enough to keep working on his game while he's here. But it is a little confusing how the fans have welcomed him back. Having gone to a few games this season he's had the whole stadium on their feet chanting his name, the lack of respect is really bad form from Romelu.

Chelsea have a problem with Lukaku and it's not the interview. I'm a firm believer Lampard got sacked because he couldn't find a system to implement the boards big signings of Werner and Havertz (And yes results and performances). Tuchel comes in and gets a song out of them, securing top 4 and the CL.

In the need of a striker, the board broke the bank for Romelu, the best available striker on the market at the time (As Dortmund weren't selling Haaland), but as of now, the team play better without him.. Tuchel is stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Romelu isn't useless for us, but what he is, is a £97.5m plan B. He is just too slow and restrictive for the big big games. And he is not going to be happy with that, who will the board support, their record £ signing or the gaffer... And so far they've always backed the player...

Honestly, this time, I think they will back the manager.

23 minutes ago, Mana said:

Lol. How is that an insane take? What do you think the interviewer could have asked in such a way that Lukaku would answer that he would want to return to Inter some day?

The idea that Lukaku deliberately and callously said things to hurt Chelsea fans or the club is insane. The idea that what he said "came from the heart" is genuinely laughable, teenage girls wouldn't react like this.

Do people genuinely think he gave a calculated interview designed to engineer an escape ... And then did nothing with it for 3 weeks? To what end?

I don't like being rude, but some of these takes are deranged. Object to talking to the media, especially without club permission, sure. Be annoyed at him wheeling out the PR fluff for his previous club's fans, fine, whatever. Think he has unhelpfully disrupted preparations for a big game? Eminently sensible. But this stuff is crazy and says a lot more about people's bizarre sensitivities and existing opinions than it does Lukaku. 

Edited by thevelourfog

31 minutes ago, thevelourfog said:

Responding to a mate texting you is only evidence of egomania if you've decided someone is a egomaniac.

But, but...it has been decided..... 

10 minutes ago, Mana said:

Lol. How is that an insane take? What do you think the interviewer could have asked in such a way that Lukaku would answer that he would want to return to Inter some day? (and it was a misunderstanding)

Seriously naive,  that is exactly what interviewing is about.

2 hours ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

Quick exit to Juve if Morata goes to Barca?

Haha, if he thinks people are against him now, wait til that happens

5 minutes ago, Droy was my hero said:

But, but...it has been decided..... 

Seriously naive,  that is exactly what interviewing is about.

Well , I suppose it depends on what your definition of an interview is. This was more of a cri de coeur , an ego stroking mechanism.

Personally as I've said if he stays , great , if he goes great , what evs.

15 minutes ago, My Blood Is Blue said:

Honestly, this time, I think they will back the manager.

There's only 1 way anyone walks out of this with a favourable outcome - The players, the fans, the board and the manager... There has to be a compromise. Lukaku has to be reintegrated. If he isn't then we wont come close to winning anything IMO, Tuchel will be sacked eventually, the club will lose millions on Lukaku's transfer value and the fans will suffer.

There's a difference if Lukaku is being unprofessional - turning up late, not meeting fitness standards, not performing purposely on the field, moaning and complaining around all day. If that's the case then by all means get rid of him. If this is a 100 million pound decision based only on an interview where the interviewer basically made him into a fool then that's a genuinely strange outcome IMO.

3 hours ago, Holymoly said:

I apologise if this has been linked before but the Gary Neville podcast was quite a good watch today.

His insights on being at a club with Lukaku and his view of him as a "team player" were very interesting to listen to as long as you can get over Tyler droning on self importantly.

Yes Tyler is a bore, and Neville gets the sending off very wrong.

But that is 23 mins of education from Neville of a quality far far far higher than the Studio guest team at h/t and end match.  Given that they are there specifically to keep viewers from turning the TV off during Ads you'd think they would do the smart thing - give Neville 5 mins at H/T and 15 at end of game, and stick Carragher Souness and even our Jimmy on a podcast on youtube.

Very good on how the game is in terms of pace and quality compared to 10 years ago or 25 years ago at the end or start of his career.

16 minutes ago, Blue_In_Every_Way said:

An interview where the interviewer basically made him into a fool then that's a genuinely strange outcome IMO.

Here's an idea , don't instigate an interview then .