JaneB

Romelu Lukaku returns to Chelsea on a 5 year deal

ROTG   
16 hours ago, boratsbrother said:

let alone the likes of a Salah,

Salah has only been prolific goal scorer at his present club, whereas Lukaku has done it a several.

Salah is another Griezman; take him to another club and his return will be low, hence none of the big boys trying to break the bank to sign him

ROTG   
7 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

Falcao and Saul haven't started 13 games between them, and Higuain managed exactly 13 over his 6 months

Kaka? Never played for us. 

Opps Pato not Kaka

not sure what your point you are trying to make? regardless whether it 1 or 1000 games past or present all of the above except Kaka have received an awful lot of stick on their performances in a blue shirt

paulw66   
3 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

Opps Pato not Kaka

not sure what your point you are trying to make? regardless whether it 1 or 1000 games past or present all of the above except Kaka have received an awful lot of stick on their performances in a blue shirt

Martin, "not sure a player has got so much stick after 13 games"

You then list a handful of players who didn't even get that far as a counter example

I question that list.

I agree with Martin, I haven't see a player get so much abuse after 13 games, considering he has done pretty well in those games, and the result have been good when he has played. He has even been piled into for results that have happened in his absence. It is just bizarre. 

ROTG   
5 minutes ago, paulw66 said:

I agree with Martin, I haven't see a player get so much abuse after 13 games,

I agree with Martin - nothing new there, next you will be agreeing with boratsbrother :0)

I haven't see a player get so much abuse after 13 games - I assume you are referring to this forum and the couch potato critics who have never been to SB, I cannot remember hearing Lukaku getting stick from the crowed, unlike some of the others I mentioned earlier

paulw66   
29 minutes ago, Freeboot-Rightz said:

I haven't see a player get so much abuse after 13 games - I assume you are referring to this forum and the couch potato critics who have never been to SB, I cannot remember hearing Lukaku getting stick from the crowed, unlike some of the others I mentioned earlier

yes, I mean on here. 

16 hours ago, thevelourfog said:

Is this satire? When has he ever avoided scrutiny?!

He has, by and large, because he's scored 7 goals. It's an ok tally, verging on half-decent in all fairness. He's not in the bin with Casiraghi and Chris Sutton.

But because of that tally, instead of properly scrutinising his "efforts" when it goes to pot, people are wilfully overlooking the anonymous performances against the decent teams and are instead choosing to thrash about in the excuse network (injuries/covid/teammates not passing to him when he's doing that pointing thing), so when he bags against Aston Villa (again) or Zenit (again) it's justification for them and they carry on with the belief that he'll bulldoze his way through the next decent team we play. And then the cycle starts again.

One of the most popular bets on Wednesday night was for Lukaku to score a hattrick. I love outlandish bets, but I haven't seen anything in Lukaku to justify that level of faith. Many do though.

On the subject of how stats can be misleading, similarly to Drogba, Hazard is scrutinised for his goal return. But just like Drogba, look at the games he did score in. Context is always important with goals. Lukaku needs to score the important ones in a big game. He has another chance next Wednesday, net the first goal to kill the tie. 

38 minutes ago, Box of Tricks said:

He has, by and large, because he's scored 7 goals. It's an ok tally, verging on half-decent in all fairness. He's not in the bin with Casiraghi and Chris Sutton.

But because of that tally, instead of properly scrutinising his "efforts" when it goes to pot, people are wilfully overlooking the anonymous performances against the decent teams and are instead choosing to thrash about in the excuse network (injuries/covid/teammates not passing to him when he's doing that pointing thing), so when he bags against Aston Villa (again) or Zenit (again) it's justification for them and they carry on with the belief that he'll bulldoze his way through the next decent team we play. And then the cycle starts again.

One of the most popular bets on Wednesday night was for Lukaku to score a hattrick. I love outlandish bets, but I haven't seen anything in Lukaku to justify that level of faith. Many do though.

Maybe give him a chance then?

He has only played against Arsenal, City and Tottenham this season. He was very good, man of the match if I remember rightly and scored against Arsenal, played well enough against Tottenham but had very little service and City, is well City.

It's easy to say he hasn't done it against the top sides but in fact he's hardly played any and when he has he's been pretty good overall.

And his tally to be fair to him is very good he's averaging a goal or assist every 134 minutes. Not sure what more people want.

The craziest thing for me, the thing I really struggle to get my head around is how quick some have been to judge him. He's started 13 games FFS, played a grand total of 1200 minutes and his record in that time is very good bordering on excellent. 

Whatever people want to say about him he is a man that has played over 600 games and averaged a goal every other game throughout that time. That's an incredible achievement over 600 games. And unsurprisingly he's doing that here too. A goal every 170 minutes in his first season back in the league.

5 hours ago, Box of Tricks said:

Weird, because I'm reading a lot of scrutiny of him. I've just quoted some.

Rob B   
20 hours ago, Martin1905 said:

Maybe give him a chance then?

He has only played against Arsenal, City and Tottenham this season. He was very good, man of the match if I remember rightly and scored against Arsenal, played well enough against Tottenham but had very little service and City, is well City.

It's easy to say he hasn't done it against the top sides but in fact he's hardly played any and when he has he's been pretty good overall.

Whilst I totally agree with the general sentiment and point you’re making,  he has also played 90 minutes against Liverpool (VVD had him in his pocket) and the 1-0 defeat to Juventus.